Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory Upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Maybe this would be better off in the Technology forum?

As far as I know your RAM will only run as fast as the slowest piece on the board, so if you mix PC-3200 with PC-2100 all your RAM will run at 2100.

These numbers are the data rate (in MB/s) that your RAM will run at, based on a 64-bit bus.
    Now you could overclock your FSB to make your RAM run faster (better transfer rates) but thats another question!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

Thanks for that WizZard, yeah I plopped it in the wrong forum!

I've done a fair bit of looking, and your correct in what you say. I'll prolly just sell my 256 of 2100, and pick up 512 of 3200.

Has anybody had much success overclocking their memory? It appears a tad risky from what I've seen so far..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

You're welcome Pat.

As for how successful OC'ing memory is, I have never tried it so I don't know for sure.

but I'd imagine it would be highly dependent on the type of board you have and the type of memory. Also, as with most OC'ing, you'd have to to have the memory well cooled.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Give us your MB name and your processor those dictate wheter you will be able to use the full PC3200 speed or wheter you will be stuck at PC2100, eventhough you have PC3200 RAM in your comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    Give us your MB name and your processor those dictate wheter you will be able to use the full PC3200 speed or wheter you will be stuck at PC2100, eventhough you have PC3200 RAM in your comp.

Cheers, the link in my first post is a search using my board details. I'm running a p4 1.7 on it. When I bought it I was thinking ahead, so everything is adjustable and it will take 3200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Lucky you I have a 1900+ and it's toddles along at 133MHz:rolleyes:, 266Mhz DDR; you have a chip OLDER then mine and you can use faster RAM then mine :( , bugger!.:D

Advertisement