Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exploring Dystopia

Options
  • 16-12-2003 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

http://hem.passagen.se/replikant/

This is an excellent site dealing with the evolution of "dystopian" literature and arts.
    Dystopian fiction has to rank as my favourite genre, despite my reservations about the use of the term by psuedo-intellectuals who feel they have to distance themselves from the distasteful patina they associate with "sci-fi".

Anyway, my defence of "sci-fi-as-literature" aside, the site is an excellent starting point and reference to the genre, with a fairly comprehensive catalogue of the books films and artwork that have inspired and fleshed out the whole movement.
    I was particularly pleased to see John Brunner (see sig.) mentioned, He's too often left out of discussions in favour of the big hitters like Orwell and P.K. Dick, despite his amazingly prescient and compelling novels.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

That's really interesting - thanks!

Dystopian fiction has to rank as my favourite genre, despite my reservations about the use of the term by psuedo-intellectuals who feel they have to distance themselves from the distasteful patina they associate with "sci-fi".

Yes, I hate people who sniff their noses at sci-fi like this. There are a lot of really bad romance novels but that dosen't mean all novels with love as a theme are worthless! The term is still useful, however, as it describes a particular subset of sci-fi.

Advertisement