Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy class vrs the Defaint

• 16-12-2003 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

Im board so ill start a tread here hehe

which ship do you think could win the fight and why ?

I personaly think the defiant wouldnt last long against the Galaxy class for the following reasions

The galaxy has 2 brust fire torp launchers each able to fire 10 torps every 6 seconds (thats 10 65 megaton torps flying towords you at the speed of light) thats a lot of damage to deal out.....It also has 12 type x phasers which give almost 360 degree range of fire compeared to the defiants 120 degrees (or their about) so in other words the galaxy would be hammering the defiant any time it comes close.....And lastly the galaxys shields systems are very powerful well able to take the plus fire phasers from the defiant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭macronot

Something to consider is that the defiant is a lot more manoeuvrable than the Galaxy class ship therefore running rings around the Galaxy Class and avoiding most of the torps and phasers.
    And something that sprung to mind when reading your post. Why is there no guided torps - as far a i can remember there was only one that was adjusted to lock on to exhaust gas with some science project - maybe in one of the movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Federasion ships dont miss that much and the galaxy class has 360 degree phaser coverage running rings around the galaxy wouldnt make much sence seeming it would be the defiant at a disadvanage

And all trops are tracking however much like a modern day air to air missle or surface to air missle you can avoid them if you evade it like a mad man....oh and that gas sniffing torp was from Star trek 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Are u taking the piss or what? the defiant would whip its ass, the defiant is armed with quantum torpedos, pulse phasers are more effective at penitrating shields and the defiant has ablative armour which can take a few direct torpedo hits.

Its smaller more manouverable, galaxy class wouldn't stand a chance :)

The galaxy is also able to fire quntums basicly it needs is a load of q-torps and off ya go

also the war galaxys have a far more powerful warp core and abltive hull armour :) and seeming the Defiants pluse phaser is notting but a modifed type 10 emmiter (thats 1 emitter) compeared to the 200 + in just one of the galaxys main phaser arrays galaxys is a tad bit more powerful

Also a galaxy is able to destoy a galor class ship with 1 shot the defiant needs at lest 10 or so with its pluse phasers to do the same ( as per ds9)

oh and the galaxy would smack the **** of the defiant no matter how fast its going federasion ships never miss their targets (pritty much) and as i said it has 360 degree phaser fire arc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

and most importantly cyclops would blast wolverine's ass, wrist blades or no wrist blades :p

The cloaking technology could be the defiants one advantage but then again, the new Enterprise could fire in all directions (like in star trek nemesis).

Actually we're way off point, we're all discussing the Defiant vs the new Enterprise which is Sovereign class not Galaxy class.

The galaxy class was the old enterprise which only had a few phaser banks, some photon torperdoes and basic shields. (even voyager had multi-phasic afaik which was more than what enterprise had).

• Advertisement

The galaxy class was the old enterprise which only had a few phaser banks, some photon torperdoes and basic shields. (even voyager had multi-phasic afaik which was more than what enterprise had).

The galaxy has heavly duity multi phasic shielding 12 type x arrays (second most powerful) 3 brust fire torps that launch 10 torps every 6 seconds from just one lanucher bla bla bla

its the second most powerful ship in the federasion

and no where not talking about the new enterprise which is a sovy class where talking about a galaxy class vrs the defiant.....i dont know where you got sovy class from :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Even with a 360 Degree field of fire, you still need to /hit/ your target. Also being overlooked is the fact that the Defiant class was designed to combat the Borg and is designed to be small, obscenely powerful and HIGHLY maneuverable. Being small and that agile would make it a total pta to actually hit with any sense of conviction

Originally posted by bizmark
    The galaxy has heavly duity multi phasic shielding 12 type x arrays (second most powerful)

Must have been added to the Enterprise D over the course of TNG's run because I remember at one point during the run of the show, multi-phasic shielding was an experimental technology just coming off the drawing board and into alpha testing. I remember alright there was an episode when they used multi-phasic shields to hide from the Borg in the corona of a star, but they didn't have them at the start.

and no where not talking about the new enterprise which is a sovy class where talking about a galaxy class vrs the defiant.....i dont know where you got sovy class from :eek:

Sorry, read all the talk about 360 degree fire, quantum torpedoes etc. and thought they were talking about the Enterprise E (which is sovereign class)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The small size of the defiant would allow it to hug close to the Galaxy class, thereby preventing it using torps.. A couple of seconds hovering above the saucer section (say directly above the bridge), and the defiant could still fire off a couple of torps and eliminate the nacells of the Galaxy class.

:D ye fine people have a over blown sence of the defiants power

most power starfleet ships

1.sovy class 2.prommy class (when it enters service) 3.Galaxy class 4.Nebula class 5.Akira class 6.Defiant class 7.Ambasadour class 8.Excelsiour class 9.Intrepid class 10.norway class 11.Nova class

or something like that

Remember that federasion ships nearly never miss and the galaxy class doesnt really have blind spots for its phaser firer....PLUS that "the deifant was desiged to destroy the borg" stuff doesnt work the galaxy class beat the borg on its own the defiant never did :p

Also the war galaxy refits have 2 extra arrays over its nacelle so their really are no blind spots what so ever!

and the defiant nearly was destroyed by a refited excelsiour class judgeing by that alone the galaxy class would beat the **** out of it

• Advertisement

Well ok the original galaxy class wouldn't stand a chance ;)

Yey i win!

"bizmark dances"

only cause i'm too lazy and not nearly geeky enough :) to check out your stats :p

ya ya ya you just can beat me

"bizmark dances" :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

hang on a sec there victory dance boy :) i've been meaning to add to this.

i think the defiant would give a galaxy class starship and especially an original galaxy class starship a hell of a run for its money (my initial opinion was that it would lay the smackdown on a galaxy class starship)

for a start federation starships miss lots, just like any other technologically advanced race, if ships didn't miss there would be no evasive maneourve type thingies. they'd just go toe to toe and rotate when forward shields ran out or whatever

also as azezil tried to point out the defiant has ablative armour ;) pulse phasers and quantum torpedoes as standard and i reckon its maneourablilty is important in battle.

Interesting specs below:

Strength Indices
    (Galaxy class = 1,000)

Beam Firepower : 1,400
    Torpedo Firepower : 2,150
    Weapon Range and Accuracy : 815
    Shield Strength : 880
    Hull Armour : 3,400
    Speed : 940
    Combat Manoeuvrability : 30,000

this to me seems to be a good indication it could lay the smack down

and also putting it behind a nebula and akira class starship thats just shocking.

also from a practical point of view lets be realistic even with a skeleton crew a galaxy class starship needs 6 times as many crew members as a defiant class and i'm sure you could lash out a couple of defiant class starships quicker then a galaxy class one which could defintely beat it.

defiant.jpg
    the defiant yes its officially the doggies bollix

keep out of this mod boy i clamed victory no matter how flawed my argument is :p

and no matter what you say the refited lokia nearly beat the defiant and that alone shows the defiant isnt the god ship some pople think it is

LOL oh come on the defiant didn't use its torps if it had they'd have blown them away :)

it jused its aft launchers to fire photons at the lokia!

ah i ment quantums and u know it :p

crap im going to lose this one :ninja:

Righty

1.The defaint might be able to beat the first galaxy but not the venture class refit galaxy class with its ablitive hull armoure q-torps more powerful warp core and extra phasers!

SO THEIR!

GalaxyVenture.gif
    You just know it will win dont ya !

• Advertisement

is that the episode in which the refitted excelsior barrel rolls and there are changelings on earth?

the defiant wasn't even trying to win that fight proper, however you may have your victory bizmark, this time (insert evil eyes here)

p.s go defiant

oh so its a venture class starship now heh? sure why not just slap a third warp nacelle on it and call it something mad like Galaxy-X i bet the defiant couldn't beat that one either :D

(come on azezil we've got him on the ropes)

I scraped the buttom of the barrel to win this one but i wont go into Q anti-time AGT god ship :D

........or maybe i will.......possible.........Well i guess the phaser lance on the front would rip it apart in one shot
    is that the episode in which the refitted excelsior barrel rolls and there are changelings on earth?

Ya that was the episode.....and well if they wherent trying to win their idoits seeming the defiant was nearly destroyed

The topic is "Galaxy class vrs the Defaint" nothing about refits, thus we win! w0oT

ii never said the FIRST galaxy class vrs the defiant i just said Galaxy class vrs defiant

i did not limit myself to the non refit ! ahhaahahahahah hahahah i win

Edwolf2.jpg

^^^ look its a bit of the defiant passing the galaxy class

lol

the defiant was nice for the 4,5 seconds it lasted against the refited Uss venture

10 quntums every 6 seconds comeing right up sir! :D

calm down folks i have the ultimate evidence it is the defiant laying the smackdown on a galaxy-X just look at the galaxy-X running away, running away

109-0972_IMG.JPG109-0971_IMG.JPG

NA! you can clearly see that the Galaxy -X scared the defaint so much that it turned pure white :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Oh god that's sad (both the post and the bedroom).

What are those white stains all over the Riker poster :eek: ?

Advertisement