Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galaxy class vrs the Defaint

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

course you can if its moving in a different direction, also nothing to stop the starship from going to warp

no. no u cant.

if im looking at you, and i warp towards u, u cant get out of the way in time.

The speed of light is 299,792,458 m/s (meters per second)

Lets say the ships are 1,000 kilometers away from each other.

At the speed of light my shuttle would hit u in 0.003335 seconds.
    [Im crap at maths, sorry if this is wrong, but its something equally ridiculously small.]

Lets say my shuttlecraft warps into you at warp 3. Youre screwed.

How can u get out of the way?

Lets assume the sensors on the ship detect the shuttlecraft going to warp.

How can the ship a) get out of the way or b) go to warp? It takes at least a good few seconds from when the command to go to warp is given and the ship goes to warp.

For those who say 'the shuttle would just be destroyed' ... launch all of them at the same time. Even if all are destroyed, the enemy ship will be completely fixated on destroying the shuttles so you can just pound away at it with your normal weapons.

It's impossible if u stay within the confines of star treks laws to beat my tactic.

Admit it, I win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

also seeming most shuttles dont have warp and ONLY the galaxy class/ sovy has a warp enabled runabout your tatic wouldnt hold up to much 3 on the galaxy and i dont know about the sovy more than likely 1

also a galaxy class can track and lock on with its tracktor beam a ship around 300meters long moveing at warp from only a few hundered miles (the stargazer) if it can do that you can bet your ass on it it can stop a shuttle

also your talking about a ship unable to move out of the way of a warp ship ? na it more than likely could seeming the ships sensors can track ships in warp fed ships computers work faster than light and it only takes 18 seconds to go from a full rest to warp 9,6 (and something 0.4 seconds to engage warp 1) it more than likely could move just far enough away from the shuttle as long as the ships computers have a anti-hitting other ships prog with it more than likely does

so no you dont win

admit it your beaten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by dangerman
    no. no u cant.

ships can always detect other ships that are powering up warp engines, the result of that is that the other ship could go to warp in time.

also space battles don't necessarily take a 1000 kilometers from each other, also a shuttle craft is only a couple of meters wide, even if it is aiming at the centre of a galaxy class starship the ship may only have to move say 400meters after the shuttle has gone to warp

full impulse is 1/4 light speed so to travel 400 meters would take 5.333E-6 seconds according to my calculations which is about three orders of magnitude smaller then the figure you calculated.

its a tough one to call but i'd say it could be avoided alright and that ramming is usually done at sub-light speeds

p.s we're not ganging up on ya :) its that we don't usually see ships warping into one another.

warp all of them at the same time.

they do have warp enabled shuttles, we see that in the one with the triangular sandwiches that picard gets out of the replicator while in a shuttle. I think.

And this site:

http://www.sfintel.com/database_html/engineering/supportcraft.html

The very first one there, has a big 1701-D on the side of it, type 6 - it goes at warp 1 at least.

A tractor beam can lock onto a ship thats flying at warp when its at impulse? That's a bit far fetched isn't it?

It's also impossible. As I said b4, we're talking about 0.003335 of a second, so they couldn't order ur lad to switch on the t beam in time.

Also, if the other ship can detect the shuttle powering up its warp engines, who cares? If the shuttle starts powering up first, it'll get their first.

Also, you say the ship could get out of the way. No it couldn't. We know that ships can move while 'going to warp' so just keep angling the shuttle towards the enemy ship and zap.

I do win.

i have to disagree, you seem to have ignored the order of magnitude calculation i have done.

and explain to me how the shuttle would get to within a 1000k in the first place?

also ships may move whilst going to warp but by my calculations if the shuttle was aimed directly at the ship whilst going to warp by the time the shuttle reached it in
    0.003335 s you say?

then the ship would have moved 2.5*10^5 metres within this time frame alone putting the shuttle miles off.

and even if the shuttle predicted the ships position for 0.003335s time any charge in direction or speed of the target i.e. any acceleration what so every would make the shuttle miss.

and even if the shuttle predicted the ships position for 0.003335s time any charge in direction or speed of the target i.e. any acceleration what so every would make the shuttle miss.

no see, thats the thing. in 0.003335s , the helm cant change direction/decelerate/accelerate. see? So all the shuttle has to do is predict where the ship will be in 0.003335s ?

If it definately wouldn't work, then Riker should have known that when he was about to warp the enterprise into the borg cube.

Also, this is all irrelevant, because I can just use the suns gravity to go back in time and sabotage the ship/kill the crew b4 they are born etc. :D:D:D

A tractor beam can lock onto a ship thats flying at warp when its at impulse? That's a bit far fetched isn't it?

it was shown on screen theirfore its cannon
    It's also impossible. As I said b4, we're talking about 0.003335 of a second, so they couldn't order ur lad to switch on the t beam in time.

you really like useing "its impossible" ...No its not impossible 95% of a galaxy class is computer driven and it can easly be 100% as i said the computer works faster than light and more than likely can either 1.move 2.fire phasers 3.tractor it before it smacts into the ship the destroy it

also your compleatly forgeting that the 2 ships would more than likle be moveiing all the time at 1/4 the speed of light so even if you did aim the shuttle at it and managed to live long enough you would more than likely miss (and your own 0.0033 seconds would be used against you their as you couldnt change course fast enough)

Its not done in star trek and if its not done it more than likely cant be all ramming is done at sub light speeds

it was shown on screen theirfore its cannon

as i said...

Also, this is all irrelevant, because I can just use the suns gravity to go back in time and sabotage the ship/kill the crew b4 they are born etc.

star trek is sooo totally full of holes.

I win.
    :)

:dunno: ya well the federasion Time traveling police from the future would stop you :ninja:

Originally posted by dangerman

star trek is sooo totally full of holes.

I win.
    :)

yeah but they do there best with it to be consistent and i don't think they do a bad job considering the amount of episodes out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭HaVoC

ok even if the galaxy class has 360 firing arc if the defiant still stay in that formation 2 phaser arrays can hit it max it aims for these fire and disables them. The defiant is more powerfel in this formation the galaxy class cant use its full set of weapons and if the galxy managed to break off the defiant can cloak break off and resume the position again.

also anyway to make it fare as siad before you could have 2 or 3 defiant for the price of the galaxy.

And this is how all battle ships are defeated even in really war torpedo bombers destroyed alot of the american naval fleet in wwII

It seems to me that the galaxy class was design in mind for cloaked ships meaning no matter where u de cloak u have something you can shoot at them, this make it combined fire fare less then say a bire of prey which has most of it weapon at its front and can deal all it weapon in one blow

well at the end of the day i don't think that the galaxy class was designed with war in mind as its not a dedicated warship and all that, its not massively maneourable though so it would make sense it can fire from all angles instead of having to face an enemy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Ok i was reading over and i saw a reference to cloaking.
    Are we talking about the orgianl ship the Defiant (with cloak) the replacement The Defiant (No cloak) Or are we just alking Defiant class ships with different names?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Haven't been following DS9. Replacement Defiant?

The Defiant was destroyed in season 7 then a new one was built without a cloaking device[\spoiler]
    The Defiant was destroyed in season 7 then a new one was built without a cloaking device

hmm i either forgot that or wasn't aware of that either way shame on me.

Im sure you just forgot, they didnt make a big deal out of it.

It was like breen enter the war. OH NO! defiant gets destroyed
    then there was just no mention of the defiant for bout 5 episodes
    5 episodes later its just oh look a new ship, ye its called the san palo but u can call it defiant

Advertisement