Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here read Ian Irvine?

Options
  • 16-12-2003 2:58pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just picked up an Ian Irvine book in Chapters - Book 1 of 4 - and I'm finding it REALLY difficult to read. I find the prose incredibly stilted, and many passages poorly written. The world seems incredibly dull, just like the characters. I'm 200 pages in and very tempted not to keep going - so I'm wondering, has anyone else read his stuff and does he get better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

I've read one of his books: Geomancer, book 1 of The Well of Echoes.

I found it quite slow to get into too, there are certainly sections that lack the flow that marks a particularly good writer. I did enjoy it, and I will be (eventually) reading the next one, but I'm reading it for the science more than anything (I'm a geologist and I was quite imressed with his grasp of it)

A friend of mine says that The View From The Mirror series is a lot better than the rest of his stuff, so maybe if you just keep at it! :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'll stick with Book 1 and see how it goes then :)

I still wanna read some of my other books way more tho'...

Advertisement