Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gateway comp (and this one is kinda non-quake)

Options
  • 13-01-2000 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

Hello lads,

Well its me again the man with the 233Mhz 32MB computer who still won't chance running quake 3 for fear it'll run at one frame per week.

Anyway my computer is a gateway and for the second time in my life, last night I heard that gateway memory is a different type of memory to anybody. Now correct me if I'm wrong (which has happened before you know) but I thought Gateway just bought everything in and assembled it all so whats the story with the different part is it true or are people just fu<king with me head. I don't care who I get the answer off of but I would especially like to hear from people who've been there i.e. gateway owners who have upgraded their memory.

okay that was a long one so I'll leave it at that. No this.

bye for now
    Baz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

afaik its all plain ol sdram that you get in any other pc.
    if you really want, you could always look at the gatewway website and get the info for yourself
    i will of course presume you have internet access due to the fact that you are posting here www.gateway2000.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

It's SDRAM, I have the same PC.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

THANKS VERY MUCH

bye for now
    Baz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

you could just get a new PC and get it done with smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

If you check my profile you will see I am a bum student and if you check my Dad's credit rating he appears to have none. In other words I can't afford one.

bye for now
    Baz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

thats complete and utter ****e gateway use "crucial" ram , its all the same (if the specs are the same) , is it sdram or edo , simm or dimm u have 430 tx board like if its mmx if its PII u must have some 440lx

[This message has been edited by Sonic (edited 13-01-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Some of the first Gateway machines to use Dimms used what is termed non-jedac compliant ram and thats where all the problems occur. Those systems would only be P5-120, P5-133's. That system of your Baz takes 66mhz SDRAM. I know I used to sell em smile.gif (ohhhh I feel dirty)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Your board would be a Gman/Lawman (Non-integrated/Integrated Video).

Gandalf's right. 66Mhz Gold plate SDRAM is preferable, but that spec is incomplete. Intel defined a Pc66 standard that was ignored and it's pot luck if you get a 3rd party DIMM to work. The chances of getting extra that is compatible is near Zilch.

Gateway can't give you enough information to make an accurate/safe purchase - They just don't have it themselves.
    Some manufacturers used to advertise compatible Chips, there's nothing special about them beyond the fact they actually bunged them into a Gateway box and had a look - if you can still find some, grand.....

Even if you could find some today chances are it'd be a lot more expensive than a similar PC100 module. Best thing to do is to bite the bullet and upgrade......

Yours,

The Bringer of Doom, Depression and Soggy Bikkies.

Advertisement