Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postal System

• 16-12-2003 3:33pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm no expert on the postal system but I figure that if I post something in Dublin, the post mark will be Dublin??? My parents just received our Xmas card and the postmark was Cork. Can anyone explain how this could happen?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on when they stamp it I suppose. Maybe it gets stamped in the local sorting office - do you parents live in the Munster region?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I know that wherever I send post to, it gets stamped in Athlone, and I live nowhere near athlone.

Perhaps there is a central sorting office.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by seamus
    Depends on when they stamp it I suppose. Maybe it gets stamped in the local sorting office - do you parents live in the Munster region?

They live 15 miles down the road in Meath. If they lived anywhere near Cork I'd understand but the Card went from Dublin to Meath via Cork. Doesn't sound very efficient to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭SEAMUSD

I live in Arklow, if I posted a christmas card to my next door neighbour it will travel to port laoise and back.
    it seems we in Arklow cant afford a franking machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most post is being sorted by machine in 4 locations, Cork, Dublin, Athlone and Portlaoise. If there is a "vast" surplus in one and another is under busy, they will sort it elsewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement