Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL BB trouble!!!

• 16-12-2003 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Hi there!
    Recently got IOL BB and having problems as regards,application timing and such,sometimes seems slower than dial up!!!which is worrying!
    Also I really need an address or KaZaA-Lite as with kazaa normal,is playing puck with my firewall.
    Basically it seems to be rezzing,lagging etc!
    Any suggestions?!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

you speed prob i cant help you with!!!
    have iolbb to and i get speeds of up to 60 even 70

i know how you feel looking for kazza lite, had same prob as you couldn't find it.
    eventually i got it of a friend, he got it of a dutch site!!!
    www.k-lite.tk try that, if you have to pay then it's not it! other wise do a search on google.nl, dont wory about thing being dutch cause it's mostly english

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

John I'd say your speed prob may be caused by your firewall - get it to open all of the ports used by Kazaa and any other progy which is slower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

I am not sure what the hell is going on with the BB!!!
    Online grand!the next thing get a pop up from the modem,
    SIGNAL LOST TRY RECONNECTING!!
    Is it the Firewire??,is it that the modem is not corretly configured???
    Self-install don't you know!!!
    Really frustrating the crap out of me!
    Would Kazaa lite feck up my firewire,as I have to minimise a FW warning everytime
    I connect to it!
    ANY SAFE FREEWARE AVAILABLE???
    Any help would be really appreciated.
    HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR!!!

Have you installed the provided micro filters on ALL the phone sockets in your house - even ones that have no phones connected to them?. Turn off your firewall totally to be sure thats not the cause of the prob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭PaulMagrath

If you are using Kazaa Lite or thinking about it you will now have to think again:

see:

http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=339

or google's cache

http://66.102.11.104/search?q=cache:Lvd5-RLWm4MJ:www.slyck.com/news.php%3Fstory%3D339+kazaa+lite+slyck&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Sharman Media (the makers of Kazaa) are booting Kazaa Lite off web sites and off FastTrack. KL will soon be unusable.

the kl official site http://doa2.host.sk is now kl free and is directing kl users to emule.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

John I'd say your speed prob may be caused by your firewall - get it to open all of the ports used by Kazaa and any other progy which is slower.

this information is WRONG!!! Once again i have to point out that using a firewall will NOT, i repeat NOT affect speeds, all it affects is connectability. What i mean by that is that once your application can connect to the internet, then your firewall is working properly. If your application can't connect, then you need to open the ports. Theres no in-between option, whereby the firewall lets the application run really slowly as in the google cache.

The real reason for the slow speeds is taht Kazaa lite is being kicked off. New versions of kazaa have slightly changed the protocols so that when kazaa lite tries to get the connection info it can't get it, hence you get slow speeds, as you can only connect to very few people.

EDIT heres a quote....
    QUOTE: Recent upgrades to Kazaa clients (2.5 and higher) make them less tolerant with outdated or non official clients such as Kazaa Lite K++. Kazaa Lite is based on a version prior to 2.5, therefore a current supernode will not accept its shares. Although this will cause network headaches in terms of traffic, the client will not be able to participate or download off the main FastTrack network. This will effectively cluster and isolate all modified Kazaa clients from FastTrack. UNQUOTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    this information is WRONG!!! Once again i have to point out that using a firewall will NOT, i repeat NOT affect speeds, all it affects is connectability. What i mean by that is that once your application can connect to the internet, then your firewall is working properly. If your application can't connect, then you need to open the ports. Theres no in-between option, whereby the firewall lets the application run really slowly as in the google cache.

Think about this for a second. You have a P2P application. You try to get a file thats been shared by another user that also has a firewall. You can't connect to his machine to download the file. (His firewall blocks inbound connections). He can't connect to your machine to send the file to you (assuming the central directory told him you wanted it) because your machine blocks inbound connections. So the only way for you to get a file from another user who has a firewall in place is to ask a central server to get it from him and send it to you.

That's going to be slower than getting it directly. And servers obviously want to discourage you from making them do all this work, so they give you a much lower priority than anyone else.

So, yes, you can get slower connections in P2P apps if you have a firewall enabled. Not because your firewall is broken, but because your P2P app is designed to slow you down if you use a firewall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭PaulMagrath

Theres no in-between option, whereby the firewall lets the application run really slowly as in the google cache.

Dunno about that - if the firewall is has some kind of built-in anti-virus or anti-DOS measure it could be examining traffic before it let's it through. Hard to know waht is really going on without more information. What kind of firewall is? Are you sure it is properly configured?

Is kazaa lite giving the error messages or the firewall?

this information is WRONG!!! Once again i have to point out that using a firewall will NOT, i repeat NOT affect speeds, all it affects is connectability.

Ever hear of Bittorent?. Same principles can apply with any P2P app.....just like Ripwave explains.

The real reason for the slow speeds is taht Kazaa lite is being kicked off. New versions of kazaa have slightly changed the protocols so that when kazaa lite tries to get the connection info it can't get it, hence you get slow speeds, as you can only connect to very few people.

I still use K Lite and the speeds are fine.

Advertisement