Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radeon 9600XT or Gef4 Ti4600

• 16-12-2003 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭

Which do u reckon is the faster (dx9 compatability aside), or even better some benchmarks of them side by side. Have a gef4 here now, and can put in a 9600XT if I wanted to, just wondering if the 9600 has caught up to the Ti 4600 yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

9600XT would be my thinking, faster memory for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

in the long run the radeon would be ur best bet due to direct x 9 games going out etc but atm there would be little difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i'd go with even in the short term i'd say the 9600XT would own the ti4600 once any AA or AF was turned on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by thomasmckinless
    in the long run the radeon would be ur best bet due to direct x 9 games going out etc but atm there would be little difference

In DX9 and with AA/AF turned on the 9600XT is quicker. If not they are about the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

The geforce TI's are a good card have one my self. But i would go for the ATI card as it will have a longer life then the TI's as the TI's days are numbered!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I'd agree with Ricardo in dx9 and with fsaa turned on the 9600 is faster but if not then the ti is faster. You're best option would be a 9800 or 5900+ in terms of upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

The geforce 4 TI's only have direct x 8.1 features supported in hardware, radeon 9600 is dx9, also remember that in half life 2, and most shader heavy games, the radeon 9500 and newer beats the tar out of the geforces prior to the fx 5700 and 5900. But i'd say the TI4600 would be faster in most current games with the same features enabled. Both excellent cards but i'd go for the radeon, just out of curiosity what manufacturer(s) are you considering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

well I have a ti4600 atm

just I can either swap it for a 9600XT or keep the ti4600. Neither will cost me anything. I'll probably get a PCI-Express card next year along with an athlon 64, but just wondering which is best in the mean time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by astrofool
    well I have a ti4600 atm

just I can either swap it for a 9600XT or keep the ti4600. Neither will cost me anything. I'll probably get a PCI-Express card next year along with an athlon 64, but just wondering which is best in the mean time :)

If you have both then the 9600XT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i agree

• Advertisement
Advertisement