Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blank screen at bootup

• 16-12-2003 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

im putting together a new machine mainly from parts lying around, an just booted up for the first time. everything gets power but i get nothing on screen, no bios, nothing .

ive systematically gone through most of the parts... removed an tested ok the gfx card. (thought it may have been gfx as nothing at all on screen)have put in RAM which i know works. DDR from my regular machine (cant test the RAM from the new machine in the old one tho as new machine takes SD & DDR whereas the old one just takes DDR ).

all that really leaves me with is the motherboard & the cpu. the motherboard is brand new so would be inclined to think that should be ok.

the cpu i bought second hand, & havent seen workin so this would seem more likely.

or is there any way it might be a setting somewhere im missing?

help would be appreciated
    paddy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

the system specs are:

cpu: p4 1.6 ghz
    mobo: Asus P4S533-MX
    ram: twinmos 512 sdram
    HD: western digital 20gb
    gfx card: gforce mx 2
    dvd drive: lg 16x dvd drive

cpu: p4 1.6 ghz (cant test in good machine as is an athlon)

mobo: Asus P4S533-MX (micro atx) (again cant test as good machine is athlon based)

ram: twinmos 512 sdram (have also tried generic stick of 256 sd and 512 ddr pc2700 the latter of which i know works as i took it directly form my working machine)

thats everything i can think of. if you need any more info or if ive left anything out let me know.

HD: western digital 20gb (again have tested in my good machine and works fine)

gfx card: gforce mx 2 (will look up exact model later when im home) works in good machine

case/psu: case is generic micro atx jobbie with a 250w psu) tried a more powerful 350w psu last night which made no differance so i doubt its the psu.

dvd drive: lg 16x dvd drive (doubt this will have any effect but will try another optical drive tonight)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

might be a grounding issue between the MB and the case.
    Try taking it all out of the case and powering it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

1. Make sure there are standoffs in the case so the MB isnt touching the case

2. Clear the CMOS/BIOS using the jumpers

3. Start the system and it should post.

Hope this help

thanks joe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

you can't good up without memory!

i had the similar problem, it's either cpu or ram, and trust me it's burned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

I had the same problem with my PC - it has an ASUS motherboard and it was this component that was faulty. Seeing you have an asus this might be the prob - use that warranty! :)

Dizz

• Advertisement

right im sitting here with the motherboard on the table in front of me. its out of the case and ive got plugged into it: ram, cpu, gfx card, psu. ive reseated all of these. and cleared the cmos. still no joy

ive also changed the mobo battery, tried to boot with literally only the cpu and hsf plugged in, all the time the same thing. everything gets power but nothing on screen. ive variously tried all this using both the agp port and the onboard gfx. im starting to dispair a bit now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

your cpu or memory is dead!

borrow your friend's parts and check them both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Is there a bent pin in your monitor cable?Have you tried to boot with a pci card in case the agp controller is faulty?When bootimg press and hold insert and this often helps to boot system.Is ram in correct dimm as in manual for 1 stick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

even with a faulty cpu u should still get to boot up screen i think.

Whenever ive seena faulty cpu it gets that far before giving me some sort of cpu error. Seeing as you tested the RAM (ie different sets of ram) id be inclined to think it may be the motherboard. I have seen faulty mobo's straight out of the box tho im told its rare.

If you have another cpu u can chuck into it give it a go but my money would be on the mobo.

theres definitely nothing wrong with the monitor, have tried 2 differant monitors, one of which im typing on now.

i havent tried a pci gfx card as i dont have one handy, have tried 2 gfx cards, both of which definitely work, and also tried using the onboard gfx. tried holding insert but no joy with that.

i thought too that it should get as far as the first bios screeen then hang if no/faulty cpu. just tried booting without a cpu in at all and did the exact same thing. dont really know what that tells me tho.

no other cpu here to test im afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

I know on my asus mobo that if there is no processor in the mobo on boot that either error beeps or a voice (depending on what the BIOS options are) sounds tell the user of this. Has your mobo a similar feature? Personally and without seeing your setup I'd say your mobo is fscked.

Dizz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

most, if not all mobos beep if there is a problem. If there is nothing id really start thinking about RMAing the mobo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Well i also had this problem with a 700 p3 cpu and it was the cpu at fault.Your only hope is trial and error, so you need to get another cpu to troubleshoot system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by kmb
    Is there a bent pin in your monitor cable?Have you tried to boot with a pci card in case the agp controller is faulty?When bootimg press and hold insert and this often helps to boot system.Is ram in correct dimm as in manual for 1 stick?

What he said. PCI card = good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

I had the same problem The mother board would not boot

I found out it was the power to P4 CPU it was plugged in
    the wrong way

Just double check the power to the CPU it should be
    a square one near the center of mother board.

Good Luck

Advertisement