Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some fine soldering? Anywhere in Dub?

• 16-12-2003 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

I need to get some find soldering done on a motherboard. Does anyone know where I'd get this kinda work done in Dublin? I'd do it myself but I don't have a fine soldering iron and besides I'm rubbish at it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

there's a few guys around boards who chip PS2's which takes some pretty fine soldering work, so you could try asking around if anyone is willing to do it.

might want to post a pic of exactly what you need doing, it might get you a little more interest in it.

as for something in an official category, i dunno anywhere thatwould be cheap to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

Fine soldering is probably more easily done with solder paste and an application of heat.... no wobbly fingers to mess up the solder :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Virus_Inc
    Fine soldering is probably more easily done with solder paste and an application of heat.... no wobbly fingers to mess up the solder :)

If you don't use your fingers what do you use?.... and.... how do you apply the heat?

I'll have to ask for that DIY "wreck your own elctronic gear" book for xmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

wire, pin, whatever you want depending on how fine the line of solder you're trying to make... prolly pay to clean the surfaces with flux prior.... apply heat with a soldering iron or heat gun... whatever you have...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

what do you need done - i might give it a go ;)

• Advertisement

looks grand - get the bits and give me a shout - i'll check my schedule to see what way i'm working - it'll defo be a few days anyhow

Nige

Originally posted by elmer
    looks grand - get the bits and give me a shout - i'll check my schedule to see what way i'm working - it'll defo be a few days anyhow

Nige

A few days is chrimbo mate. What bits do I need. Motherboard and resistor? that it?

if you want to use a fixed resistor then yeah :)

Someone suggested I could use superglue to do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Tha someone clearly has a B. Eng. in electronics :rolleyes:

Theres no reason why the super glue wouldn't work. It just wouldn't be very robust I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Hey Ricardo, don't even think about the super glue. Skypak's sarcasm might have been slighty lost. The reason for using solder is to provide electrical conductivity, not merely holding the resistor in place. You might get lucky with positioning the resistor. Quite a few plastics act as insulators. Most common or garden ones do anyhow and I would put Super Glue in this category. Might get out the multimeter over the weekend to check it out...

I've not had to solder much for many years and certainly not on any PCBs with SMT devices. If you're techical minded, you could get a soldering iron with fine bit, de-soldering tool AKA solder sucker. A small spring loaded pliers to grip components would help to disipate heat from the PCB.

Or try to find a technician to help out.

How much is a replacement mobo? More than price of tools / getting the job done?

I'd be just curious to try it. Mobo wasn't all that expensive but it would be a shame to wreck it. Might try it after xmas when I've had a chance to try the motherboard out. I may not need the mod.

Advertisement