Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

honours maths question

Options
  • 16-12-2003 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

I'm curious, is there a statistic for how many people do honors maths (actually sit the paper) in relation to how many people there are in an average class? For example there's 28 in my class and probably around 10 will sit the paper, but I was talking to someone else (lives in Galway) and he said in his class of around 30 most of them are sitting the paper (he's in 6th year). Is 10 unusually low, or is 90% of the class unusually high? What's the average? It's got me well curious about all the different ratios with different subjects so any help would be great.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

In my year there are about 150 or so. This makes up 6 or so classes. 3 classes are just all honours, 2 are pass and 1 is divided in to honours and pass, about 50/50. It is an all boys school so that may account for the high amount doing honours (i'm not being sexist but its true!). In my class there are about 30 and we are all doing honours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

My year: 30 people, 10 doing Higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

When I did the leaving 3 out of around 45 did higher. 5th year started off with 20 or so doing higher and they gradually dropped off over the following years to the remaining 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

My year: 95ish, about 32 doing honours maths (started off with about 50, but the rest dropped down throughout 5th and the start of this year). We have two honours classes and three pass classes.

The statistics for last year were something like, out of the 41000ish LC students in the country, less than 9000 did higher level and 31000 did ordinary level, and then there was 1000/2000 doing foundation. It's definitely the subject with the largest percentage doing ordinary level, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

My class had 30 people in it at the start of 5th year and now in 6th year there's 11.
    There's another honours class with about 20 and 2 pass classes with about 30 each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

In my school there's 4 classes, ~30 people in each, and 1 of the classes is honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Those figures sound very weird. When I was in sixth year, there were 6 classes of about 20-25. It was generally accepted that the top 2 classes would all do honours, as couple of people in the third class would probably give the honours paper a shot, and the sixth class would do foundation.

30% seems to be the going rate....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

In my school, one class out of 5 sixth years (of approx 25 students each) sat the honours maths paper. The drop-out rate was quite high - I'm sure there were 2 classes doing it at the start of 5th year.
    It is an all boys school so that may account for the high amount doing honours (i'm not being sexist but its true!)

There were far more girls than boys in the honours class! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

Originally posted by claire h
    The statistics for last year were something like, out of the 41000ish LC students in the country, less than 9000 did higher level and 31000 did ordinary level, and then there was 1000/2000 doing foundation. It's definitely the subject with the largest percentage doing ordinary level, anyway.

Ah, thanks you. The general consensus appears to be that around 30% of a school does higher maths in the LC. Another worthles yet interesting fact yearned (: It'll stand me in good heed when I'm sitting the French aurals, ****ting myself and knowing **** all of what to say. Oh well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I'm guessing every school has different strengths. Where as our maths is really good our languages suck. Only 1 honours Irish class in my year out of 6 classes. This is because we have only 1 good irish teacher but in maths we have loads, with one getting 20 A1's out of like 25 last year, pretty amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Our class was huge at the start of 5th year, gradually got smaller and smaller as people dropped into pass though. I'd say by the mocks there'll be less than 10 people in it, with about 25-30 in the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

70 in my year
    start of fifth year ~20 in the class
    now 5 in the class
    this will go down to four, and perhaps three after the mocks

we're all dumb up here.

Advertisement