Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rules of the Road

• 16-12-2003 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭

May be I'm wrong, but I understand the current edition of the Rules of road are 10 years old next year. :rolleyes:

Maybe we should send them a birthday card.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So whats changed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

At a minimum:

ROAD TRAFFIC ACT, 2002
    ROAD TRANSPORT ACT, 1999
    ROADS (AMENDMENT) ACT, 1998
    CARRIAGE OF DANGEROUS GOODS BY ROAD ACT, 1998
    ROAD TRAFFIC ACT, 1995
    ROAD TRAFFIC ACT, 1994
    ROADS ACT, 1993

S.I. No. 51/2002: Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment and Use of Vehicles) (Amendment) Regulations, 2002
    S.I. No. 55/2002: Road Traffic (National Car Test) (Amendment) Regulations 2002
    S.I. No. 93/2002: Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment and Use of Vehicles) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations, 2002
    S.I. No. 270/2002: European Communities (Control of Emissions of Gaseous and Particulate Pollutants from Non-Road Mobile Machinery) (Amendment) Regulations 2002
    S.I. No. 298/2002: National Roads and Road Traffic (Transfer of Departmental Administration and Ministerial Functions) Order 2002
    S.I. No. 392/2002: Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road Act, 1998 (Appointment of Competent Authorities)(Amendment) Order, 2002
    S.I. No. 393/2002: Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road (Amendment) Regulations, 2002
    S.I. No. 411/2002: Road Traffic (Public Service Vehicles) (Amendment) Regulations 2002
    S.I. No. 465/2002: Statistics (Road Freight) Order 2002
    S.I. No. 491/2002: Road Traffic Act 2002 (Commencement) Order 2002
    S.I. No. 492/2002: Road Traffic Act 1961 (Section 103) (Offences) Regulations 2002
    S.I. No. 500/2002: Road Traffic (National Car Test) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations, 2002
    S.I. No. 597/2002: Road Traffic Act 1994 (Section 25) (Commencement) Order 2002
    S.I. No. 598/2002: Road Traffic Act 2002 (Commencement)(No. 2) Order 2002
    S.I. No. 6/2001: European Communities (Safety Advisers for the Transport of Dangerous Goods by Road and Rail) Regulations, 2001
    S.I. No. 32/2001: ROAD TRAFFIC (NATIONAL CAR TEST) REGULATIONS, 2001
    S.I. No. 38/2001: ROAD TRAFFIC (PUBLIC SERVICE VEHICLES) (AMENDMENT) REGULATIONS, 2001
    S.I. No. 74/2001: ROAD VEHICLES (REGISTRATION AND LICENSING) (AMENDMENT) REGULATIONS, 2001
    S.I. No. 75/2001: ROAD TRAFFIC (LICENSING OF TRAILERS AND SEMI-TRAILERS)(AMENDMENT) REGULATIONS, 2001
    S.I. No. 169/2001: ROAD TRAFFIC (LICENSING OF DRIVERS) (AMENDMENT) REGULATIONS, 2001.
    S.I. No. 173/2001: ROAD TRAFFIC ACT, 1994 (PART III) (AMENDMENT) REGULATIONS, 2001
    S.I. No. 298/2001: ROAD TRAFFIC (NATIONAL CAR TEST) (No 2) REGULATIONS, 2001
    S.I. No. 463/2001: EUROPEAN COMMUNITIES (ROAD TRAFFIC) (COMPULSORY INSURANCE) (AMENDMENT) REGULATIONS, 2001
    S.I. No. 492/2001: Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road Regulations, 2001
    S.I. No. 493/2001: Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road Act, 1998 (Appointment of Competent Authorities) Order, 2001

S.I. No. 11/1995: DUBLIN (PARKING OF BUSES) TRAFFIC AND PARKING TEMPORARY RULES, 1994.
    S.I. No. 12/1995: DUBLIN AREA TRAFFIC AND PARKING (TEMPORARY) RULES, 1994.
    S.I. No. 22/1995: COUNTY OF LOUTH TRAFFIC AND PARKING TEMPORARY RULES, 1995.
    S.I. No. 186/1995: ROAD TRAFFIC (PARKING FEES) (AMENDMENT) REGULATIONS, 1995.
    S.I. No. 268/1995: COUNTY OF KERRY TRAFFIC AND PARKING (AMENDMENT) BYE-LAWS, 1995.
    S.I. No. 27/1994: WATERFORD (COUNTY BOROUGH AND COUNTY) TRAFFIC AND PARKING (AMENDMENT) BYE-LAWS, 1993.
    S.I. No. 87/1994: COUNTY OF OFFALY TRAFFIC AND PARKING BYE-LAWS, 1993.
    S.I. No. 131/1993: DUBLIN AREA TRAFFIC AND PARKING (AMENDMENT) BYE-LAWS 1993.
    S.I. No. 327/1993: COUNTY OF KERRY TRAFFIC AND PARKING (AMENDMENT) BYE-LAWS, 1993.
    S.I. No. 329/1993: DUBLIN (PARKING OF BUSES) TRAFFIC AND PARKING TEMPORARY RULES, 1993.
    S.I. No. 334/1993: DUBLIN AREA TRAFFIC AND PARKING TEMPORARY RULES, 1993.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I can remember when there were a few blue pages for the motorways. Anyway the rules of the road is a guide and does not supercede any laws.

Just wish people would read it , esp the bit about indication on roundabouts :( it's mostly common sense once you consider the other road users..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

All that legislation, and still our driving standards are so low:confused: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Originally posted by Borzoi
    All that legislation, and still our driving standards are so low:confused: :mad:
    there doesnt seem to be anyone enforcing all this legislation

the gards only seem to have roadblocks in december or when something new is added to the penalty points:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭an_taoiseach

S.I. No. 329/1993: DUBLIN (PARKING OF BUSES) TRAFFIC AND PARKING TEMPORARY RULES, 1993.
    S.I. No. 334/1993: DUBLIN AREA TRAFFIC AND PARKING TEMPORARY RULES, 1993."

Temporary since 1993;)

Oh, they refuse to put the book on the net. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Victor
    Oh, they refuse to put the book on the net. :rolleyes:
    The same is true for the course material for the FAS SafePass card except it's worse - you can't make ANY copies of the material...

Nice to know in both cases that Intellectual Property Rights still rate higher than access to information that exists mainly to save Life and Limb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight

Just wish people would read it , esp the bit about indication on roundabouts :( it's mostly common sense once you consider the other road users.. [/B]

Non-indication on a roundabout drives me absolutely insane. I have now resorted to entering a roundabout and giving a driver the finger if they are coming round towards me without having indicated right...

Similarly the geniuses out there driving who indicate right when coming to a roundabout who then drive straight on and indicate left (correctly) when leaving.:mad:

Should be fifty penalty points for not indicating at a roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭an_taoiseach

"Similarly the geniuses out there driving who indicate right when coming to a roundabout who then drive straight on and indicate left (correctly) when leaving."

Yeaaa

Thats reason enough to never believe anyone who signals on a round-a-bout

Is the roundabout protocol different in the six counties then in the Free State ?

An T

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

What about the slobs that drive around roundabouts the wrong way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Or the women who drive straight over them

"that's a lovely little garden in the middle of the road"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Many people drive over the white painted roundabouts which are not bumpy but a stupid faint marking on the narrow road usually found in housing estates

The roads where these are, its more dangerous to do the full right turn on them than to drive over them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

>>Many people drive over the white painted roundabouts which are not bumpy but a stupid faint marking on the narrow road usually found in housing estates

The marking is faint beacuse of all the tyre marks.

Why do drivers ignore the yellow road signs for 'roundabout'?

>>The roads where these are, its more dangerous to do the full right turn on them than to drive over them.<<

That depends on how big your vehicle is and how fast you're going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Originally posted by cyclopath2001

That depends on how big your vehicle is and how fast you're going.

Or maybe they are just put in stupid places

Originally posted by NeRb666
    Or maybe they are just put in stupid places
    "Mini roundabouts" are largely there to discourage excessive speed through junctions and implement parity of exit, where there is no clear main road. The reason they are relatively flat is to allow larger vehicles turn right without causing damage.

One added reason to slow down at mini roundabouts is people do U-Turns on them so if the car in front is indicating right treat it as if it's gonna stop on the roundabout. (note: for those of us down south - indicating is totally optional..)

Advertisement