Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Content Management Systems?

Options
  • 17-12-2003 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any good content management systems they could recommend for websites. At the moment we're migrating our intranet site from old crappy server to new funky server and taking the opportunity to seriously upgrade it.

Unfortunately it looks like PHP won't be an option (dont ask, long story), so that rules out stuff like PHP-Nuke or Post-Nuke.

Has anyone any recomendations for CMS in other technologies? Unfortunately its moving to a Win 2k box, and my knowledge of MS technologies like ASP or Coldfusion is sorely lacking.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I believe http://www.spin.ie/ have a rather snazy product and, afaik, have been recently bought.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Macromedia Contribute?
    http://www.macromedia.com/software/contribute/?promoid=home_prod_contribute_082403
    never used it though so can't comment on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Originally posted by Evil Phil
    I believe http://www.spin.ie/ have a rather snazy product and, afaik, have been recently bought.
    Why yes we have, contact DeVore through here or at tom.murphy@phoenix.ie.

Now, Since I have an obvious bias in this case I'm going to insist on a rule that people can mention CMSs, and links to where Lordy can find out about them, but no more.
    This isn't that I want to stiffle discussion on the matter (hey, I'd love to give a bit more about what a wonderful product we have) but with any other thread where there are members of boards that have a relevant product to sell (and IIRC we aren't the only people with a CMS around here) I use my judgement as to how much commercial promotion I allow; with CMSs though it would be hard to do so without bias and impossible to do so with the appearance of bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

not relevant to this forum. pfft.

http://www.notsquared.com have a very nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Which technologies can your server support?
    ASP?
    ASP.net?
    Perl?

You can run both Perl and PHP on Windows and MySQL is more than happy to comply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Lordy

Doh! Absolutely correct, I completely missed the web section. Thats what I get for lurking round in the games section all the time ...

If the moderator feels like it would be more appropriate to be moved into web, then feel free to do so.

As for the server itself, it will on a windows 2000 server running IIS.

We know for definite Perl, ASP, MySQL and Coldfusion are supported on it.

We would like PHP support, but are not assured of getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

forgot to specify full circle's (www.notsquared.com) is ASP based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 grover

Hi all,
    I'm an independent QA and software Testing provider. My main client, called Green Dot Solutions, provide a web based CM solution. More information can be found at their website www.GreenDotSolutions.com

Thanks and Happy New Year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Originally posted by Karoma

/me wakes up a bit.

Quite right Karoma, I tend to think of CMSs as things your program rather than as things you use :)

Moving this to webmaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Macromedia's Contribute, when used in conjunction with a properly developed Dreamweaver site is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

I wouldnt class macromedias contribute as a Content Managment system, its more of a glorified wysiwyg editor and ftp program. It wont give you some of the extra features that you would get from a well developed CMS.

However, if its a simple site you are developing, I would recommend using it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Dagmar

Well yes if you are that short on dosh for a decent server setup you must be considering carefully the total cost of ownership for you CMS.

Macromedia Contribute for each user and a copy of Dreamweaver will be a minimum of €4-500. and as mentioned you only get a system which is as good as the site design/er. It's quite easy for a Contribute user to wreak the site if the permissionsare not set up carefully.

Most php/mySQL CMS's are free or at least open source and you can allow any number of users to edit content online. Users will find it very hard to do damage to the whole site. These systems is designed for this from the beginning.

The down side is that they are harder to install and configure but there are many people who will set them up for a small fee and get you started. You just have to cough loud here and you will be deludged with offers!

Stay away from M$ server technology it's bad for you pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by Dagmar
    Stay away from M$ server technology it's bad for you pocket.
    Not just for your pocket!
    When you compare the sites developed using LAMP with those using MS stuff you really have to side with LAMP, or am I just biased?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Dagmar

Okay I had to look it up too: Linux+Apache+MySQL+Perl.

No not biased just not being led like a sheep to the slaughter.

You do have to say the the software technology that keeps most of the Internet backbone running has to be more robust than the bug riddle M$ window$ stuff

Advertisement