Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slipknot Banned??

Options
  • 17-12-2003 12:40am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Somebody PLEASE tell me that Slipknot have been banned from Ireland. Cos if they haven't, they'll be supporting Metallica. They're supporting them on their European tour. I'm just praying they've been banned from Ireland.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah Slipknot are banned from here, they were meant to play here 2 years ago but got cancelled due to some parents group or wotever banned them here and we got our money back on our tickets. I thought Slipknot themselves were more or less finished at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

they should be banned from everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Gonzo
    yeah Slipknot are banned from here, they were meant to play here 2 years ago but got cancelled due to some parents group or wotever banned them here and we got our money back on our tickets. I thought Slipknot themselves were more or less finished at this stage?

That is utter bull****. That gig was pulled because there's not enough 12 year olds with parent's who'll buy them tickets for a slipknot gig.
    This isn't the 1960's, when was the last time you heard of a band being banned from playing Ireland? FFS. Marilyn Manson has played here and he's a bit wackier than the 'knot. And neither are all that offensive live. I've seen slipknot live once and they weren't offensive at all.

I heard they were breaking up the band after the next album or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

The last I heard, Slipknot are still around, just doing side projects and the like. They should have a new album out by this Dublin gig. :)

Man, Linkin Park, and now Slipknot. They will recieve such a hammering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Originally posted by feylya
    Somebody PLEASE tell me that Slipknot have been banned from Ireland. Cos if they haven't, they'll be supporting Metallica. They're supporting them on their European tour. I'm just praying they've been banned from Ireland.

Ah, I remember it well. T'was the day of wednesday the 30th of august, 2000. I remember it well because I had 2 tickets for it (which I still have). The morning of the gig, one of my mates emailed me and told me to have a look on the news section of yahoo! because he had read something about slipknot there. I had a look and it said something like "the national parents council of ireland have banned the slipknot gig in dublin due to the band inciting hatred and violence amongst its fans". I couldn't fcuking believe it so I rang ticketmaster in HMV and asked them was the gig going ahead. They hadn't even heard anything about the parents council banning the gig (any surprise??) and assured me that the gig was going ahead. But what happened the night of the gig? Yep, you guessed it, it was cancelled. The day after that, there was loads in the papers about the parents council banning the gig with plenty of conveniently available 'concerned parents' saying "proper order it was banned" and "we're doing this to protect our children". Sickening, isn't it?
    Anyway, they were banned back then, but that was that gig only. I ain't so sure that they're banned completely though. I was considering getting a ticket to metallica and now that you're saying slipknot is supporting them, I think I'll deffo get one. THAT would be a gig worth going to.
    Just try to leave your predudices about slipknot at home will you, feylya? You sound as bad as that bloody parents council here. I've seen 'em in the UK before and they were very entertaining, and a very heavy band live (unlike metallica's previous choice of linkin park).
    At the end of the day, it might be worthwhile contacting the parents council to see if the band are still banned....but that might actually give 'em early warning to the gig so scrap that. Don't bother contacting ticketmaster cuz as I've illustrated earlier, they haven't a clue. I know a guy who 'might' know though.
    Anyway, if anyone has any updates on this, post 'em here. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Originally posted by eth0_
    That is utter bull****. That gig was pulled because there's not enough 12 year olds with parent's who'll buy them tickets for a slipknot gig.
    This isn't the 1960's, when was the last time you heard of a band being banned from playing Ireland? FFS. Marilyn Manson has played here and he's a bit wackier than the 'knot.

Wrong there.. marilyn manson was cancelled (again by the parents groups) shortly after slipknot (2001 i think it was).. anyway i had tickets for both them gigs but ill defo be going to metallica now if thats true.. kinda lost interest in slipknot about a year ago but still love to see them live

Originally posted by Repli
    Wrong there.. marilyn manson was cancelled (again by the parents groups) shortly after slipknot (2001 i think it was).. anyway i had tickets for both them gigs but ill defo be going to metallica now if thats true.. kinda lost interest in slipknot about a year ago but still love to see them live

She is wrong, but I reckon what she meant was the time MM played at that $hite MTV awards thing in the point a year or two ago. To debate semantics, she said "Marilyn Manson has played here" but as he only played one song, I would say that that is a moot point.
    Anyway, to get back on track again, I'm sorta the same as you in that I lost interest in slipknot too. However, that said, if I got the chance to see 'em again, I'd take it. The last time I seen 'em was class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Marilyn Manson was coming here to film a live show to release on DVD. Which is why the tickets were so cheap. He couldn't come because he had a charge in the US that he was waiting to be convicted of. I don't recall if it was the US who wouldn't let him out, or Ireland who wouldn't let him in. But it had nothing to do with any parents group.

It's not possible for a band to be "banned" from a country, not a free democratic country anyway. It's down to the promoters. If an act gets in bad with them, there's **** all chance they'll get to play here.

MCD, for example, won't be inviting Nine Inch Nails back in a hurry.

Lodgepole is 100% right. It's amazing how people will swallow what is fed to them in the tabloid press. Parents council protesting about an artist + artist having to cancel != parents council banning that artist.

If you don't believe me, ring MCD and ask them if MM or slipknot were banned.

I despised slipknot with a passion right until the day I saw them play at ozzfest in the uk a few years ago. I quite like them now although I haven't listened to em in a while. Wouldn't like to go to another of their gigs tho, unless it was over 18's.

As for NIN....i'll f*cking promote them :-)))))) I'd LOVE to see Reznor play!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Originally posted by xx
    Just try to leave your predudices about slipknot at home will you, feylya? You sound as bad as that bloody parents council here.

Wtf are you on about? What prejudices do I have? I don't like Slipknot. I don't like their music. I'm going to see Metallica and to be prefectly honest, I'd prefer to see an Irish band, like Thin Az Lizzy or someone like that supporting them. It would be FAR more suited to the crowd than Slipknot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

i dont know if this is true okay and i read what u have all posted but i think there could be some truth in the knot being banned from ireland cause a while back they had to play in the odissy in belfast which is a same venue for the size of the bad was an okay show but h8 the way he lick the crowds ass "this was the best show ever kind if bs"

As for NIN wish that trent would do something of a tour once he finishes the new album and doom3 sound track

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I think slipknots are, well, twats tbh, but some of the music is pretty decent, not superb, but I'd listen to it if it was on. A friend saw them in the odissy and apparently they were superb (however there was only about 3,000 people there, just over half the floor, and no seats).

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

What I want to know is why don't Metallica get a decent support act? Linkin Park and now Slipknot, its just not on. Why don't they get someone decent like In Flames or Sentenced to play. Now that would be worth going to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Kye^

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    they should be banned from everywhere!

/me Claps :)

Yea They shud b and so shud marylin manson

Stupid muppetry they bring to the music world. Too worried about their bloody appearance :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

they're not banned from ireland, its just that the parents group put so much pressure on to stop them playing that the gig wasn't allowed to go ahead, remember tho this was when they were reletively new, they're more established now and i think if they come back someday the parents group wouldn't be able to stop em again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Kye^

noonooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonononoooooooooooooooooo

AH!!! please god no!!! Im goin to b goin to dat cause im 90% sure dats my chrissy pressy from the biatch :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

when are metallica playing ireland again, such a gig that'd be metallica and slipknot in the one nite, brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

June 25th angelofdeath.
    Why don't they get someone decent like In Flames or Sentenced to play.

One can only dream about seeing In Flames play here :( Would be great to see them live over here but I think the main reason hey wont is slipknot et al will get more people in unfortunatly. Slipknot or In Flames hmmm I wonder which id choose!

Wtf are you on about? What prejudices do I have? I don't like Slipknot. I don't like their music. I'm going to see Metallica and to be prefectly honest, I'd prefer to see an Irish band, like Thin Az Lizzy or someone like that supporting them. It would be FAR more suited to the crowd than Slipknot.

You're right actually, can't see metallica fans being slipknot fans and vice versa

Originally posted by angelofdeath
    they're not banned from ireland, its just that the parents group put so much pressure on to stop them playing that the gig wasn't allowed to go ahead,

Again, this is simply untrue. Do you honestly think the money machine MCD would cave to a group of moaney old bags who don't like little JOhnny listening to the bad evil music?
    I bet they have no qualms about letting their kids listen to gangsta rap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭colincarnate

oh they should be banned alright, not because of their voilent whatevers but because they're fcuking boring, i've seen them live even their less boring singles are shyte!

Saying the likes of "Somebody PLEASE tell me that Slipknot have been banned from Ireland. Cos if they haven't, they'll be supporting Metallica. They're supporting them on their European tour. I'm just praying they've been banned from Ireland". I can't understand comments like this. Its one thing to say that you don't like a band, but its another totally to just come on saying that you hope they're banned. Get a clue, will you. How many metal bands actually play over here? Sod all, thats how many. Ireland has been snubbed and overlooked constantly by many of the bigger (and less well known) metal bands in the world. Every year, only a handful of decent bands play over here when our nextdoor neighbours england get bucketloads of bands playing there. To say you hope a band is banned from here is childish and sad. We should be fcuking thankful of the one's who actually do bother to play here, not say that they should be banned.
    Twat.

Again, this is simply untrue. Do you honestly think the money machine MCD would cave to a group of moaney old bags who don't like little JOhnny listening to the bad evil music?

What are you talking about? There was pictures of protest was in the news and the papers.. why would the media make up a story about parents groups putting pressure on the group if they didn't sell enough tickets? It doesn't make sense.. Im sure theres archives of the story in somewhere newspaper like ireland.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Wheeler

I was at Metallica in August and it was brill.
    Would be delighted if slipknot were supporting them.it would be some gig

If ye all check out http://www.livedaily.com/news/1741.html I think this gives the inside scoop. Basically, MCD cancelled the gig due to 'logistics problems', according to them. Well, its pretty obvious that this is a load of $hite anyway. But the NPC did put pressure on the Point Depot about the gig, so maybe it was the Point that said no to MCD? Anyway, the bottom line is that the NPC DID get involved in it and as far as I'm concerned, they put the kiss of death on it.

What are you talking about? There was pictures of protest was in the news and the papers.. why would the media make up a story about parents groups putting pressure on the group if they didn't sell enough tickets? It doesn't make sense.. Im sure theres archives of the story in somewhere newspaper like ireland.com

I never denied there were protests. Read what I said again please.
    They didn't sell enough tickets. MCD were happy for the parents council thing to be assumed to have been the reason the gig didn't go ahead.

Another example is the Coral last week being cancelled in Dublin and Belfast. A guy I work with's friend works for the promoter who brought them over, and after moving them to a smaller venue because of slow ticket sales, they had to cancel on the day because they hadn't even half filled the venue. Yet they said it was because the singer lost his voice.

They didn't sell enough tickets. MCD were happy for the parents council thing to be assumed to have been the reason the gig didn't go ahead.

Your assuming that they didn't sell enough tickets.. show me one thing that backs up your point please otherwise your talking crap..

Ditto. Why else would the parents council have gotten involved unless there was a lot of interest from a lot of kids in it? Slipknot were the newest thing on the market back then, of course there would have been lots of demand for the tickets. Add to that the fact that AMEN were supporting, who are an amazing band also.
    As per my previous post, it was the parents council that put the jinx on it. Lets hope they stay at home doing their knitting or home-teaching when the metallica/slipknot gig comes around. If they tried to scupper the 'knot from playing here again, whats to say that it wouldn't affect metallica too and that they might not play either?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

By what logic and on what grounds would ANY band get banned, ffs !!??

What is this sh1t, the return of Tipper Gore and the Moral Majority??

And, ho, ho, Deicide are playing in May. Go figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Originally posted by Lodgepole
    MCD, for example, won't be inviting Nine Inch Nails back in a hurry.

how come?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement