Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slipknot Banned??

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Even though i'm not a Korn fan, i took my woman's younger brother to see Korn a couple of months ago - they actually did play most of 'tallica's "One" in the middle of one of their own songs...it was quite a surprise.

Wasnt a bad gig in the end - except i nearly went ballistic when i heard there was no booze anywhere, talk about cruel and unusual punishment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

Of the bands that have been possible supports in this thread, id go to the gig just to see Tenacious D, Sentenced, The Darkness or In Flames. Id then leave after the,. But I would be uncomfortable with the thought of metallica getting some of my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Originally posted by Ancient1
    Even though i'm not a Korn fan, i took my woman's younger brother to see Korn a couple of months ago - they actually did play most of 'tallica's "One" in the middle of one of their own songs...it was quite a surprise.

Wasnt a bad gig in the end - except i nearly went ballistic when i heard there was no booze anywhere, talk about cruel and unusual punishment...
    I thought it was a brilliant gig... I'm not a nu-metal fan in general, but I have a weakness for Korn..

Puddle of Mudd were perhaps the funniest support act ever..
    Them: say it with me.. PUDDLE OF MUDD SUCK!
    Crowd: PUDDLE OF MUDD SUCK!
    Them: SUCK BIG DICK!
    Crowd: SUCK BIG DICK!
    Them: I AM A HOMO!
    Crowd: YOU ARE A HOMO!
    Them: Heh.. did you guys just.... em...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Kye^

Korn aint a bad band..I wud settle for them as support a million and one times quicker than i wud settle for image obbsessed **** slipknot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

thers nothing as bad as a music flame war, i really cant understand why different music makes people so angry and nobbish, why do u think musical arguements are the worst?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

image obbsessed **** slipknot.

they arent exactly image obsessed themselves, its a by-product of being dominated by your record company/producer. i

ve read in interviews that mick thompson wants to play some really decent metal including solos (at least they let joey jordison away with his amazing drumming) but the people behind the spotlights are saying thats not on. the ultimate example of this, is of course, metallica.

anyway lets get off the "no solos makes a band ****e topic". now that they have a really sucessful image, would they give it up? i know the darkness wouldnt give up their loveable get-up. (god wouldnt it be so funny now if slipknot and metallicas new albums had solos on them now that the darkness have made them "acceptable"? mleh im off topic again :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭plastic_axe

as far as i know slipknot are definatly supporting.

after all... theyre on the ticket!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

lol so were sepultura and pantera at the tatoo the panit gig

and ozzy was also on the tickets for ozzfest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

The Irish Parents Council have the power ban absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Not directly, but they can apply pressure to the venue and threaten to boycot other gigs, picket the gig, etc etc...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Tbh, I like Slipknot's old stuff and saw them play at Leeds last year. I wasn't expecting murders onstage like but it was one of the most boring performances I've seen. Maybe I caught them on an off day but would they really be that sorely missed if they were banned?

Their first album/ep (the green self-released one), Mate feed Kill Repeat, is quite interesting. Not interested after that really. It's even got a jazzy track on it! :D Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Kye^

Originally posted by Kye^
    noonooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonononoooooooooooooooooo

AH!!! please god no!!! Im goin to b goin to dat cause im 90% sure dats my chrissy pressy from the biatch :(

Yes I am now defo goin to Metallica. I got a ticket for christmas :D

I am now very concerned dat Slipknot dont play :(

Spose it is time to go off and get wasted or sit and laugh :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

It's just good drinking time. There's still 6 months til the gig so hopefully some changes will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

Personally I don’t care if Slipknot and Manson are banned or not wouldn't go to see them anyway if Metallica weren’t playing. Now Metallica resurrecting The Clash Of The Titans Tour with old school metal bands like Testament, Slayer, or Sacred Reich that would be 'kin deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

slipknot were banned for a 12 month period in 2000 (i think) but the ban has been lifted and slipknot are definately going to support metallica in june. it's too late now to ban them because of the courts and all that jazz.

as for manson, he was never banned. he just didn't bother because the dublin show clashed with a date to make the video for tainted love.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Originally posted by project-mayhem
    slipknot were banned for a 12 month period in 2000 (i think)

By who? Who do you think can ban a group from performing? Was there a court order? Were they denied entry to the country? Seriously... I'm curious as to the exact definition of "banned" when it comes to live acts.

Well whatever happened, those with tickets had to get refunds. Nuff said really. Someone somewhere can obviously do enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by project-mayhem
    slipknot were banned for a 12 month period in 2000 (i think) but the ban has been lifted and slipknot are definately going to support metallica in june. it's too late now to ban them because of the courts and all that jazz.

That is utter, utter bull****. Where did you get this rubbish from? What are your sources? Can you show us a webpage stating that slipknot were banned from Ireland for 12 months?
    I've never heard of any band ever being banned from Ireland. This is Ireland, not China ffs.

The 12 months thing is bull, but they were not allowed to play. Or so the story goes. I seem to recall the Herald saying the Parents Council stepped in and threatened legal action to the Point or sumat. It was upped to an 18's ID required event, but that was obviously not enough, then cancelled. This information was also on the bands website at the time. The Parents Council had heard stories of the clown throwing shíte at the drummer and had a panic attack.

Bearing in mind, this is just what I remember from 3 or 4 years ago or whatever it was. All that matters, tbh, is I had to get a refund for my ticket. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Read back through this thread. The parents council didn't stop the gig. When have you ever heard from those guys apart from when they complain about the stress little Jimmy is under when he's doing the Junior? Do you honestly think they could stop MCD putting a concert on? That particular gig was pulled because it hadn't sold well.

Meh, several stories, no official one ever tho, so I was just recalling what I could from the time, and I still belive it. Last time MCD had Pitchshifter over, there was about only 50 people at the gig! So, for me, that writes off the ticket sales theory.

At the end of the day, noone knows for sure. All we know is the gig did nay go ahead and everyone had to get refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I dont see why their so worried about Slipknot, Slayer are much more aggresive, and generally hate promoting than slipknot will ever be :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

1. Parents Council did apply presure to Point Depot and MCD over Slipknot playing

2. Ticket sales for the gig were downright poor

3. Gig was cancelled

4. MCD allows the story "Parent Council got Slipknot banned" as the reason over this

That said, Metallica's choice of support is very bloody poor - I agree completely it should be an Irish band or an up and coming Thrash metal band from anywhere in the world.

The big joke is they had Linkin Park support them last year and look at the reception Linkin Park got! - kinda indicates the type of music people dont want to hear at a Metallica gig (I laugh that Metallica got boo'd for not playing Whiskey in the Jar - its only one bloody song).

I would have boo'd them more if they completely omitted any tracks from before 1990 - that would have been a travesty - as despite what they have released in recent times, Metallica do attract more of an old-school type fan - who hold out in vain that maybe Metallica will cop on and stop producing crap and give the fans what they really want - the type of music that did make Metallica one of the best metal acts (as once upon a time, Metallica where actually a metal group :eek: )

I refused to go last year on principle of the ticket prices and the support act, and to a lesser extent based on Metallica's recent albums. This year I am refusing to go again, based on those same reasons.

Unless someone can justify to me, why I should pay 60 odd euro to see 2 (count them) 2 bands in the RDS, then I wont be going ( Much prefer to to use that 60 odd euro and go and a choice of three upcoming gigs from the likes of Entombed, Nuclear Assault, Testament, Deicide)

Just my $0.02

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DanutheManu

SLIPKNOT ARE ****ING AWESOME! If you can't respect their talent and pure awesomeness, then go **** YOURSELF! They deserve to play anywhere and everywhere and not get banned by a bunch of terrified parents of what their kids listen to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Thread Closed

DanutheManu, I see you're new to Boards. Welcome!
    Just for future reference though, no need to dig up 10 year old thread!

If there's a topic you want to discuss and you haven't found any recent threads through the search function then please just start a new one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement