Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vote for Damien Duff and John O'Shea!!!

• 17-12-2003 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

The nominee's for the UEFA team of the year have been announced and O'Shea and the Duffer are a part of it. There are only 5 nominee's for both the left wing and left full position and it will be a hard task for Duff and O'Shea to get into the team although it is a privilage in itself to make it this far especially for O'Shea.

O'Shea is up against Roberto Carlos, Lizarazu, Zambrotta and Kaladze.

Duffer is up against De Pedro, Nedved, Van der Vaart and Giggs.

I can't see O'Shea making the team and it will be hard for Duff to get past Nedved who is playing the best football of his career at the moment. So we will need to get as many people as you can to vote for the lads. Get the e-mails flying out and tell everyone in work!

My votes were as follows (although I don't get to see most of them regularly):

Goalkeeper: Toldo
    Right Back: Salgado
    Centre Back: Paulo Maldini and Chivu
    Left Back: JOHN O'SHEA
    Right Midfield: Figo
    Centre Midfield: Makelele
    Attacking Midfield: Paul Scholes
    Left Midfield: DAMIEN DUFF
    Forward: Henry and Larsson
    Coach: Martin O'Neill

Just go to www.UEFA.com and click the banner on the right to vote. You can always delete your cookies and vote a few times but don't make it suspicious by voting for O'Shea and Duff 10 times in 5 minutes.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Jaysus christ, you picked Larson and O'Shea. Duffer deserves to be there, the other two don't! O'Shea in particular has had a torrid last 4 months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

well, there go my votes nyway, go on the irish
    but my votes were unbiased.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

My team:
    Buffon

O'Shea
    Nesta
    Ignashevitch
    J. Zanetti

Duff
    Gattuso
    Scholes
    Van Der Meyde

van Nistelrooy
    Larsson

O'Neill as coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭L4

Why do we have such an inferiority complex in this country that we must rig every Internet poll we can find?
    Duff deserves to get the left wing, O'Shea certainly doesn't deserve left back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I did vote for the Duffer, although I think it was a close run thing between him and Giggs. As for O Shea, he has been dreadful and unfortunately I could not give him my vote.

Originally posted by L4
    Why do we have such an inferiority complex in this country that we must rig every Internet poll we can find?
    Duff deserves to get the left wing, O'Shea certainly doesn't deserve left back.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

My Team:

Buffon

Trabelsi
    Nesta
    Maldini
    Zambrotta

Figo
    Gattuso
    Zidane
    Duff

Henry
    Raul

O'Neill is my coach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Exactly!!!!!!!!!

Exactly exactly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Thrice over exactly!! Zambrotta is better than O'Shea even though he's a natural midfielder.

And Nedved is better than Damien Duff.

Why oh why does Roberto bloody Carlos get into all these things, if ever there was a colossaly over-rated player, he's the one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

lads - u are mad- Nedved is an absolute beast......his brilliant and has been for years - in my opinion his right up there with Zidane if not better - as much as i like Duff - he ain't a match for Nedved(Not yet anyway) and as for Giggs - forget about it

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Its funny, it seems all the non United fans seem to go for the non United players, all the time. Just an observation...

I voted for the two Irish guys in the poll, they're there because they have been nominated, which means they ARE good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

My Choices... Im not voting for the irish ones because i dont think either deserve to be top spot ahead of the other players, O'Shea has under performed and nedved is by far a better player than duff..

Goalkeeper : Buffon

Left Back : R.Carlos
    Right Back : Zanetti
    Centre Back : Nesta
    Centre Back : Cannavaro

Left Midfield : Nedved
    Right Midfield : Figo
    Centre Midfield : Makelele
    Attacking Midfield : Zidane

Centre Forward : Larsson
    Centre Forward : van Nistelrooy

Coach : Martin O'Neill

I've noticed a few have put Larsson in their line up.... Why? As a joke?
    And Martin O'Neill as Coach!? O.k O'Neill is good, but not as good or proven on the world stage as Fergie, Lippi , Hitzfeld etc. It doesn't take a great manager to
    win the league with either Celtic or Rangers. And before you say 'Well look what
    he did for Celtic in Europe! Look what Ferguson did for Aberdeen in Europe!! He
    won the competition too. And as for Larsson!! Is Larsson better than :
    RVN
    Henry
    Ronaldo
    Raul
    Shevchenko
    Trezeguet
    Owen
    to name a few? If you say he is well then your green glasses are fogged up or
    you have the football know who of a 14yr girl with United & Real Beckam jerseys.

Oh, and I can't believe I overlooked Nedved, Nedved ahead of Duff. Duff second, but Nedved is just pure class.

My team would be:

Buffon
    Zanetti-Nesta-Silvestre-Maldini (I know he's now a converted CHalf but still...)
    Beckham-Zidane-Viera-Nedved
    Scholes
    RVN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

I cant vote, i get an internal error in the microsoft extensions.
    I got that last time i tried to vote on this site as well iirc.

Any one else get it? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Qadhafi

O shea is a diaster in the green shirt, but despite this ill vote for both of them and text all my mates to do likewise and everyone here should do the same!!!!

jonny foreigner!!!! VOTE EARLY AND VOTE OFTEN !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

My Team

Goalkeeper:Buffon

Right Back:Zanetti
    Centre Back:Nesta
    Centre Back:Maldini
    Left Back:O'Shea

Right Midfield:van der Meyde
    Centre Midfield:Gattuso
    Attacking Midfield:Zidane
    Left Midfield:Nedved

Striker:Henry
    Striker:van Nistelrooy

Coach:O'Neil

Originally posted by L4
    And Martin O'Neill as Coach!? O.k O'Neill is good, but not as good or proven on the world stage as Fergie, Lippi , Hitzfeld etc. It doesn't take a great manager to
    win the league with either Celtic or Rangers. And before you say 'Well look what
    he did for Celtic in Europe! Look what Ferguson did for Aberdeen in Europe!! He
    won the competition too. And as for Larsson!! Is Larsson better than :
    RVN
    Henry
    Ronaldo
    Raul
    Shevchenko
    Trezeguet
    Owen
    to name a few? If you say he is well then your green glasses are fogged up or
    you have the football know who of a 14yr girl with United & Real Beckam jerseys.
    This is the team of 2003, just because Ronaldo is better than Larsson doesn't mean he has to be voted ahead of him. I only voted for Larsson because I'm a Celtic fan but I still think he deserves to be up there. He almost single handedly brought Celtic to the final of the UEFA cup where he then scored 2 goals against Porto. Celtic are going to fall apart without him unless they get a good enough replacement and he is one of the few players in the world that would be hard to replace. He is underrated by a lot of people because he plays in Scotland but if you seen him play for Sweden (where he scored about 25 goals before retiring) against the best in the world it would change your mind. He has the same style of play as Henry and I don't think there would be a lot between the both of them, although I think a lot would disagree.

About O'Shea, I don't think O'Shea is anywhere near the best left back of 2003 and I believie he is highly overrated but I'll still vote for the Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

neither Duff nor O Shea are good enough to grace the teamsheet

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

looking at yer teams:
    where's the Stuttgart keeper? safest hands i've seen for a bit.
    Del Piero anyone? Makaay?

and B-K-Dzr just keep refreshing. it comes up after a few.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by L4
    And as for Larsson!! Is Larsson better than :
    RVN
    Henry
    Ronaldo
    Raul
    Shevchenko
    Trezeguet
    Owen

RVN : no he isnt

Henry : close but i chose larsson as ive seen what he is capable of. That and i believe henry is far to selfish and dosent always 'play for the team' with 110% the way larsson does

Raul : is a natural goal scorer dont get me wrong, but i wanted someone of a creative talent upfront with RVN who can also score goals at will, so i chose larsson who i rate very highly

Shevchenko : hardly get to see italian football anymore now that its not on channel 4, why would i vote for a player ive not seen playing in seasons?

trezeguet : over rated.

Owen : i just dont like him, typical over rated english player who the english 'big it up' for... have never liked him hence i didnt vote for him

did i vote larsson as a joke? far from it.

Originally posted by Big Chief
    RVN : no he isnt

Henry : close but i chose larsson as ive seen what he is capable of. That and i believe henry is far to selfish and dosent always 'play for the team' with 110% the way larsson does

Raul : is a natural goal scorer dont get me wrong, but i wanted someone of a creative talent upfront with RVN who can also score goals at will, so i chose larsson who i rate very highly

Shevchenko : hardly get to see italian football anymore now that its not on channel 4, why would i vote for a player ive not seen playing in seasons?

trezeguet : over rated.

Owen : i just dont like him, typical over rated english player who the english 'big it up' for... have never liked him hence i didnt vote for him

did i vote larsson as a joke? far from it.

haha now that is some funny ****... Every player there is considerably better than Larson and have proved themselves at the highest level. The SPL is not the highest level by the way ;)

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    The SPL is not the highest level by the way ;)

when did i say it was?

larsson puts in the same performances on the european level and at world cups etc... he has shown he is an exceptional player

least i have a reason for doing it anyway by the way rather that "hes irish lets vote him" which is pretty pathetic.....

by the way, the irish overrate duff.

hes a very good player ill say that, but not what alot of people on here seem to think he is. Although maybe that is generalising as ive spoke to alot of irish people who agree with me so ill just aim that comment towards the people that do so.

Originally posted by Big Chief

Agreed. He is good, but still not the player Roy Keane was in his day or Liam Brady was in his.

BIG CHIEF: Your having a laugh. Did Larsson 'do it in Europe at the highest level' against Anderlecht, Bayern, Lyon? And before you say he was great in the UEFA cup last year (which he was) he was definetly not playing at the highest level. FFS do you not remember Hartson & Sutton (Bar 1994) in England? They were going nowhere fast. Now they are top notch in Scotland. Diego Forlan would do it every week in Scotland. Henry is in a different world to Larsson. And regarding Schevchenko, do you not watch CL games? Owen looks poor because he's playing for a sh*te team. And as for Raul not being creative enough!!?? Madness. Do yourself a favour, watch Spanish football a bit, and maybe some more Premierleague
    matches, then you'll see why Scottish Football isn't taken too serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

posted Big Chief

I agree with your comments on Duff , he is the best in a green shirt but there are better wingers in the prem and over hyped by the Irish media as is Robbie Keane.

Nice to see a neutral recognise that RVN is better than Henry too.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Why do we have such an inferiority complex in this country that we must rig every Internet poll we can find

sigh :rolleyes:

some people just don't get it do they?

I still think Duff is the best left winger in the premiership, probably sharing that crown with Giggs. The only left winger that I get the pleasure to see who I think is better than Duff is Nedved but where was Nedved 6 years ago? Duff has a long time to reach his standards. I think that list of 5 are probably the best left wingers in Europe with the exception of De Pedro.

A lot of people are saying Chelsea are getting the best out of Duff. I thought Duff played a lot better for Blackburn, he doesn't run past players as much now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

ah but in fairness to duff nedved was the true world footballer of the year 2003.
    He's even better than zidane !!! .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

GK: Buffon

DR: Thuram
    DC: Nesta
    DC: Chivu
    DL: Kaladze

MR: Figo
    MC: Makelele
    MC: Zidane
    ML: Nedved