Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N 6600: Getting set up

• 17-12-2003 11:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

OK, just got my new Nokia 6600 (ex-SIM from Britain), but I'm baffled.

How do I set up Net access?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

people were having issues with WAP...

have a read of this stickey at the top of the board ABOUT TO ASK how to get connected for Web/Wap/Email/MMS....
    (for some info that helps us help you ;))

and check these:

have a read of this thread for vodafone:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127265

and a read of this thread for O2:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=124378

BrianG

strange the 7650 used to jump up and ask you to copy them initially (when the contacts were empty)...

the SIM directory should be accessable from the Contacts app, under the Options menu... here's what the manual says:

Copying contacts between the SIM card and phone memory

To copy names and numbers from a SIM card to your phone, select Options ->
    SIM directory, scroll to the name(s) you want to copy and select Options ->
    Copy to Contacts.

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

EDIT: B I N G O!!!!!!!

OK, I've put in the settings given (Voda ISP GPRS) by Brian on this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127265

It's up and running.

Again, apologies, this time for editing my original post and the question about the SIM details, but I figured that one out.

Another question — will my local Voda shop be able to copy the numbers from the phone memory of my 3510 into the 6600, or is it likely they won't have the 6600 data suite, and won't be able to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by Buckfast
    Again, apologies, this time for editing my original post and the question about the SIM details, but I figured that one out.

Another question — will my local Voda shop be able to copy the numbers from the phone memory of my 3510 into the 6600, or is it likely they won't have the 6600 data suite, and won't be able to?

Tell ya what, fancy giving me that 6600 and u cant have an old 3210 i have ;)

Copy the contact on you 3510 onto your sim through the phone menu.. Then put that sim into the 6600 and copy them from the sim onto the phones memory..

You may have problems connecting to Vodafone's WAP service. The 6600 support the WAP 2.0 protocol while Vodafone's WAP Gateway supports 1.x... The 6600 is not back compatible and Vodafone do not have plans to update their service for a few months yet...

Official statement time:
    The Nokia 6600 supports wap connectivity based on a version of Wap technology that is not currently supported by the Vodafone Ireland network. We are working towards support of this technology in Quarter 1 of 2004. Unfortunately, due to the Wap incompatibility issue the Nokia 6600, and other handsets that require unsupported Wap technology, are currently not approved for use on the Vodafone Ireland network. While this should not effect your basic telephony services, we cannot provide support for Wap on these handsets at this stage.

• Advertisement

Sorry for the confusing editing guys, but for some reason when I hit refresh, your replies never appeared. And thanks for your help.

Internet up and running, just dickin around with it now. I'll let ye know how I get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭dynamic.ie

Well BuckFast,

You got it so! What u think? Did u try the lemonade tycoon game and wayfinder? Their EUR 15 each to buy... what do you think? Worth it? The wayfinder is cool and shows maps, directions, etc. for anywhere u want to go.

Can u connect ur old phone and the 6600 to your data suite on your computer via infared? If u can, u can do the phone number back up yourself but if not bring down the software to the Vodafone shop and ask them to do it. They should have all the cables and stuff.

Cheeurs!

Lemonade tycoon???

Wayfinder????

I have two games .... Snake Ex and MixPix. Am I missing something, where'd ya get them from?

Can't use data suite ... I'm on an iMac. Have to wait for the bro's computer.

Initial thoughts ... I'm chuffed with it, but still slowly learning the ropes.

@Buckfast

if you are using Jaguar or Panther on the iMac and have a Bluetooth USB adapter (or Bluetooth integrated if a recent model) you should be able to use iSync (for use with iCal and Address Book) you would also be able to send files / apps to the handset for installation

no way of backing up your old phone and loading the data back onto the 6600 with a Mac though - unless you know a friend on a PC (with Infrared / Bluetooth) who wouldn't mind you installing the PC suite and trying it...

@dynamic.ie

wayfinder really comes into it's own when used with a Bluetooth GPS device - but that can be an expensive enough solution... didn't realise they had Irish maps released at this stage - what's the detail on the Irish maps like (what cities to they cover and to what level: national route / main road / street)?

BrianG

I am such a dick. I really am such a dick. Mind would I check the 'Try and Buy' folder. Oh, I'm such a dick.

• Advertisement

When I put in the memory card there was loads of software installed, some try and buy and others free, such as:

Opera - Free Web Browser
    Kodak Pictures - Online Album (signup online)
    HP Print - Send pics, messages, contacts, calendar, notes direct to printer via bluetooth
    FT Live - Live Updates from financial times website
    CNN Live - Live updates cnn website
    Lemonade Tycoon - business game... run a lemenade business!
    Photographer - edit photographs
    Ulead Video Studio - edit videos, trim them, change sounds, etc.
    Worldmate - clock, live weather, all over world
    WayFinder - mapping service for routes
    SolvoEd - french to english, english to french translator and dictionary
    QuickWord - document reader/writer for word, text files, etc.
    ZipMan - zip file manager - zip and unzip
    RockitPinball - pretty good pinball game

That's the lot. I bought Lemonade Tycoon cause I played the demo a lot. The WayFinder is pretty good but everytime it goes for a map, it creates a gprs connection and then disconnects, when you zoom in, it does it again and so on. I did one route search from dublin airport to my road in Navan and it gave me all the road names to get their including the town's street names and stuff so it wasn't bad. I want to do a more detailed search and try and get the gprs connection to stay open to speed up navigating. Each section I went to on the route, the program told you what to do... turn right at the roundabout, etc. in a women's voice and not that crappy computer generated voice.

Not a bad little program but could see it working better with a gps device but handy on the old mobile all the same when you're lost in some city when abroad and need to find somewhere. Neat!

Cheeurs, Dave

I'm holding my head in shame. I'm not very techno-savvy, as u'd guess. You have to bear in mind too that I've come from a N 3210, 3330, 3510 to this monster of a phone. I'll need a week to try everything. I've downloaded 3 games from the 'softwaremarket' bookmark ... it says on the Nokia bookmark that there aren't any games available yet, so I tried the other link and got 3 free 7250 games. Two seem to run ok, the other doesn't.

Originally posted by dynamic.ie
    The WayFinder is pretty good but everytime it goes for a map, it creates a gprs connection and then disconnects, when you zoom in, it does it again and so on.

that's going to be bad on Vodafone connection - min 10kb charge for each GPRS session :(
    I did one route search from dublin airport to my road in Navan and it gave me all the road names to get their including the town's street names and stuff so it wasn't bad. I want to do a more detailed search and try and get the gprs connection to stay open to speed up navigating. Each section I went to on the route, the program told you what to do... turn right at the roundabout, etc. in a women's voice and not that crappy computer generated voice.

have you tried changing the GPRS connection between 'When available' and 'When needed' to see if that might maintain a connection... (Settings > Connection > GPRS).

the app was really impressive - although they only had a recorded / simulated playback used with the GPS unit on display - but it's always hard to present a moving GPS demo at an stationary exhibition stand :D

BrianG

What should the settings be for MMS? It won't send a pic for me.

if WAP isn't working then MMS may not either(?)...

but with the default Voda settings slotted into the respective places the connection details sould be something like:

Connection Name: Voda MMS GPRS
    Data Bearer: GPRS
    Access Point: mms.vodafone.net
    Username: dublin
    Prompt Password: No
    Password: dublin
    Authentication: Normal
    Homepage: http://www.vodfone.ie/mms

OPTIONS -> ADVANCED SETTINGS

Phone IP Address: Automatic
    Primary name server: leave blank or 0.0.0.0
    Secondary name server: leave blank or 0.0.0.0
    Proxy serv. Address: 10.24.59.200
    Proxy port number: 9201

and then in Messaging settings, setting the Multimedia message 'access point in use' to the one you just configured...

let us know how you get on...

BrianG

I installed the o2 settings that they sent to me but it won't send MMS messages for me either. The only thing I haven't got set up yet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Originally posted by DubWireless
    if WAP isn't working then MMS may not either(?)...

but with the default Voda settings slotted into the respective places the connection details sould be something like:

Connection Name: Voda MMS GPRS
    Data Bearer: GPRS
    Access Point: mms.vodafone.net
    Username: dublin
    Prompt Password: No
    Password: dublin
    Authentication: Normal
    Homepage: http://www.vodfone.ie/mms

OPTIONS -> ADVANCED SETTINGS

Phone IP Address: Automatic
    Primary name server: leave blank or 0.0.0.0
    Secondary name server: leave blank or 0.0.0.0
    Proxy serv. Address: 10.24.59.200
    Proxy port number: 9201

and then in Messaging settings, setting the Multimedia message 'access point in use' to the one you just configured...

let us know how you get on...

BrianG

Don't think that last one(mms) works Dubwireless :(

I installed the o2 settings that they sent to me but it won't send MMS messages for me either. The only thing I haven't got set up yet!!

did you get WAP working?

I'll try the MMS settings later.

On the subject of batteries — how have yours been going. Charged mine originally for twelve hours, started using it at 8.30am on Wednesday. Played with it for a total of around 3 hours throughout the day, and have 25 mins of calls logged. Battery died at 9.30 last night.

I take it there's a fault with my battery, or will it take the 3 charge/discharges to activate it fully. This has never happened with a battery before, and i read on the 6600 forum page on expansys.com that someone else's battery died after less than a day.

I'm going to report the prob to expansys now just to be on the safe side.

Brian, the WAP settings you gave work fine, but the MMS don't. Was talking to a Skodafone rep earlier and he said their tech support reckon the 6600 won't be approved by them until the end of February.

I take it that means I won't be able to send picture messages until then??

• Advertisement

hi - you sure that's WAP you have working or the Web / Full Internet access point (isp.vodafone.ie)?

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

if the 6600 uses wap 2.0 for its wap browser, then maybe it uses the same wap 2.0 stack for sending and retrieving mms messages (mms uses the wap protocol to actually send and retrieve a message.) if this is so, then until the networks support wap 2.0, mms probably won't work either.

Originally posted by crowbar
    if the 6600 uses wap 2.0 for its wap browser, then maybe it uses the same wap 2.0 stack for sending and retrieving mms messages (mms uses the wap protocol to actually send and retrieve a message.) if this is so, then until the networks support wap 2.0, mms probably won't work either.

I think I'll agree with you on that one. Bit head wrecking. I know vodafone have failed the initial tests of this phone on their network. More like they should have failed their network for working with this phone..... they make enough money..... hurry up an upgrade!!! Keep up with the times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

ho hum, thats a bit of bad news.... does O2 support wap 2.0?

Found this on the Nokia Website... It might help:

http://www.nokia.com/phonesettings

Scroll down the page a bit and you can have settings sent to your phone for MMS, GPRS, EMAIL, etc. for your network.

6600 isn't on all the lists but try the 7650 settings as they will work for GPRS and EMAIL.

Cheeurs,

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Ok, i just need to clear this up:

Im using a Nokia 6600 on Vodafone postpay (billphone).

I Cant access Wap. (Cus of Wap 2.0)
    I can Access Web (via Opera Etc)
    I cant send MMS (Cus of Wap 2.0)
    I Can Use email (pop3 Etc)

Is all this correct?
    Does anyone know when this will change?

And one more thing, the picture quality on the 6600 is great but it means bigger file sizes, is this gonna effect MMS?

Sean

You're right about the settings. When you see vodafone and o2 selling the phones in their stores, that's when it will work for you. I have a friend working in vodafone support so I'll give him a shout and see when the upgrade will happen. Hopefully soon!

In your MMS settings, there is a setting for image size. If you set this to small, then when you add the image to the MMS message, it will reduce the size and optimise it so it will send as a small file size.

Cheeurs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tomasmcg

I just purchased my 6600 and I successfully configured both the ISP GPRS and HSDSC connections. I've been reading up on WAP 2.0 and MMS. In order to get MMS access with the 6600 a HTTP proxy is required. This makes the WAP Gateway redundant.

So until Vodafone make a HTTP proxy available 6600 users will not be able to access MMS services. I have emailed Vodafone's technical department to ask them what settings they are using to test their 6600's with so I shall wait and see if they will part with that information.

It would be nice if the 6600 had backwards compatability included but it seems that Nokia decided to leave that out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭XbLaDe

Originally posted by rymus
    does O2 support wap 2.0?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I was not aware that O2 supported Wap 2.0. Do they have any devices available?

Advertisement