Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with a XHTML / CSS2 problem

Options
  • 17-12-2003 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm writing a site that uses XHTML 1.0 strict and CSS2 for layout, and is table free. But I'm having a problem on oner page. I just cant get it right, and I don't understand what's going on.

You can see it here: http://www.eypireland.com/guestbook.php.

In Mozilla (Firebird) there is a small gap at the beginning of the mainbody text [pre]<div>[/pre], but on IE its bloody huge! The gap shouldn't be there at all, and I can't see what's causing it.

I'd really appreciate some help on this...

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Image showing Firebird's display of the affected area

Image showing IE's display of the affected area

ok, I tracked it down to a problem with this bit of code:

[PHP]
    <form id="display" action="POST">
    <div class="sideMenuBox lighterBG">
    <div>Guestbook Controls</div>
    <span class="thisPage">393 Guestbook Entries.</span>
    <span class="thisPage">Now displaying 1 - 10.</span>
    <span class="thisPage">Display <SNIP - NASTY LONG JAVASCRIPT FORM STUFF> per page</span>
    <a href="/guestbook.php?display=10&sort=&entry=10&search="> › Next 10 Entries</a>
    </div></form>
    [/PHP]

Changing it to

[PHP]
    <div class="sideMenuBox lighterBG">
    <form id="display" action="POST">
    <div>Guestbook Controls</div>
    <span class="thisPage">393 Guestbook Entries.</span>
    <span class="thisPage">Now displaying 1 - 10.</span>
    <span class="thisPage">Display <SNIP - NASTY LONG JAVASCRIPT FORM STUFF> per page</span>
    <a href="/guestbook.php?display=10&sort=&entry=10&search="> › Next 10 Entries</a>
    </form></div>
    [/PHP]

Fixes the problem on both browsers, but it no longer validates.

This is driving me insane - can anyone suggest anything? If I add a block level tag after the form tag is messes up the CSS positioning completely... If I move the form tag outsuide the DIV tag its in the page validates but displays incorrectly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 armitage_shanks

It' s probably your form tag. Do you really need to use one, I don't see any form code in the block you posted.

Anyway, have you tried placing style="display:inline;" inside your form tag?

(Note I said "inside your form tag", since this particular piece of css is not processed correctly by all browsers if used from a style sheet in a form. No idea why, probably a bug.)

There's a select dropdown box there, but it has a javascript onchange event assigned to it, so I snipped it out of the code.

style="display: inline;" did the trick nicely! Thanks a million.

you can see it at http://www.eypireland.com/guestbook.php :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement