Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multitasking

Options
  • 17-12-2003 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

hey guys,

im jst wondering if anyofye know anything bot mltitasking with windows.either 2000,nt or xp.

even if ye have websites couls ye let me know

cheers thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Im not too sure what you want to know but as multi tasking goes

Win 2K & XP use --> Preemptive multasking

Do a google to learn more, I not gona explain it all..

Thanks joe.........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Multitasking is using/running more then one program or service at a time and Win2k does it all the time!!!. Are you getting confused with something else?.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

thanks

i know what multitasking is. its just i need to know how the computer deals with it ans sh*t like that

thanks anyway. appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

My basic understanding of it is that the CPU can only execute one instruction at a time. The CPU swaps around between programs executing an instruction or whatever from one, then moves on to the next. Does a little bit of work on each, but does lots of it, giving the impression that every program is actually running at the same time.

I'm only sorry I can't go into it in more detail, it's much more complex than that, with priorities and god knows what else that I've yet to learn about.

Yay for comp. arch, is all I can say.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are different ways - the oldest way was timeslicing - on PC's there is an 18.2ms timer (~ 50 slices per second - and linked to an interrupt) so each program gets a slice and if it releases control early then another app gets the slice - if it takes longer than it should the OS resumes control via the interrupt and then hands control to the next program. - Very oversimplified and a mix of versions but should give you the jist.

Some apps don't share well, also some apps don't multitask -eg: Word 95 was advertised as multitasking - but it could only do two tasks 1=background printing, 2=everything else.. Each task is called a thread ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Multitasking is usually a combination of OS programming and inbuilt hardware mechanisms.

Get a book. Much more useful than some random web page.
    I'd recommend Operating Systems by Andrew S. Tanenbaum (Latest version is 2001 iirc).

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

cheers guys got it sorted

sorry to bother ye

Caked K

Advertisement