Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who are The Things?

Options
  • 17-12-2003 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

i just got free tickets to go and see The Things tomorrow night...are they worth going to see?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I doubt it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

explain... i dont even know what kind of music they play!!

Ah I'm sure they're alright, if you got the tickets for nothing you've nothing to lose by going along to the gig, you may even be pleasantly surprised!

From what I've heard of them they aren't my cup of cha but I can only speak for myself. Just knock into the gig and at least if you don't like it if you leave you wont feel like you've wastec money on a ticket.

true, i only have to waste money on getting there, getting home etc. thanks for your advice:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Yea, I'd defdinitely go to the gig if I were you. I've seen them twice and they rocked!
    Not so much my type of music but still an amazing live band to watch! Go to the gig!!
    xxx me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭spoiltbrat

Definitely go! They've got great tunes and the overall entertainment factor is immense. They've a lot of begrudgers out there because they're the only Irish band anyone major is taking a serious interest in at the moment. Go and make up your own mind.... its only going to cost you the bus fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

well worth seeing... you'll have a great night, one of the best live bands in dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Just had a butchers at their website... they seem to have cogged their logo from the misfits and wear misfits t-shirts. Get the idea?

Had a listen to their tunes, kind of garagey stuff with a vox continental sounding keyboard. Like something you'd hear on "nuggets". All in all I'd say thumbs up, and probably better live.

And check out the photos.... "by BP Fallon". When will that dosey old fart shuffle off to hack hell I wonder? Lester Bangs will be waiting for him with a baseball bat I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

quite dreadful...

don't waste your time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

Originally posted by spoiltbrat
    they're the only Irish band anyone major is taking a serious interest in at the moment.

sure they are...

who was the last irish band to be taken seriously by anyone major? oooh was it the ever boring thrills?

no offence to the things... i havent heard them is all... just saying having someone 'major' interested in you doesn't make you good...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭T.B.L.

they are a very good live band, go to the gig. Ive played with a lot of bands round the city and dont know of anyone who begrudges them cause they have interest, fair play to them I say.

www.beautifullosers.info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭beatsie

saw them support har mar superstar, and thought they were fanastic, also not my favourite type of music, but if you want a good live performance , you have to go, havent seen any other Irish bands like em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Great Band - No Doubt about it in my mind.....as with anything in this town the greater the potential the greater the amount of people there to kick the **** out of it before it has a chance to be realised!

All the best
    Trev

Well, the mp3s on their site sound ok, and I'm sure they are a laugh as a gonzo live act, but to be frank the 'potential' for a Stooges-worshipping pastiche 60s horror garage tribute act is pretty limited. Today Whelan's, tomorrow Whelan's.

Like I said before, just buy yourself a copy of "nuggets" and rejoice in the original sounds of The Standells, The Seeds, Chocolate Watchband etc if you like this kind of stuff.

...or alternatively go make up your own mind and dont listen to anything anyone said here.! Especially those of us with such obvious agendas!

Im too cool for school

Trev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

I think they're pretty good. I only have a demo of theirs and I really really like their sound. I'm not feeling too wordy so I'm at a loss to explain why I like them.

Another Donaghmede band, wha?

Jaysus....

F

i went out on the batter last night and am suffering now, to such an extent that there isnt a hope in hell that i will get to the gig...
    does anybody want to try and blag their way in as me? my name is on the guest list... ill pm my name to the first person to reply...

I imagine Trev M would like to go, but I suspect he will already be there, as a member of the band. Alternately he'll be able to be smuggled in for free as he is so far up their arses. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

Jaysus you're a cyncical wee sh*t Magpie, aren't ya.
    Can nobody sing a band's praises now without being insulted.
    God.
    Love.
    You.
    Magpie.

I'm a cynical big **** actually, but you're in the right ballpark.

• Advertisement

Ah I was only slightly off so. Forgive me if you please ;)

Originally posted by magpie
    I imagine Trev M would like to go, but I suspect he will already be there, as a member of the band. Alternately he'll be able to be smuggled in for free as he is so far up their arses. :)

heheee very good!

Originally posted by Trev M
    sarcasm.jpg

admirable how members of the same band stick up for each other...

Taking the piss Catho. Poor you.

poor richie. blind to sarcasm.

Says yer one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭trent_derby

just go man, to ask a question like how good are this band is like asking how long is a piece of string.

Its a matter of taste.

Nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭spoiltbrat

Originally posted by trent_derby
    how long is a piece of string.

The length of a piece of string is twice the distance from the mid-point to the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭trent_derby

excellent.
    i have finally found the answer.

Thank you, I am eternally in your debt
    :)

Advertisement