Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Article] Ireland on course for €7b Kyoto fine

• 18-12-2003 12:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishexaminer.com/pport/web/business/Full_Story/did-sgqgbe-n2lIOAsglO-LCk0lQvU.asp
    17/12/03
    Ireland on course for €7b Kyoto fine

IRELAND’S failure to embrace production of renewable energy means that fines of up to €7 billion could become a reality by 2012, a conference heard yesterday.

Policy Director with the European Wind Energy Association Christian Kjaer said under the terms of the Kyoto Protocol (November 1997), the agreed target for the EU was to reduce its 1990 levels of greenhouse gas emissions by 8% in the period 2008-2012. Under the same agreement, Ireland was allowed to increase its emissions by 12% above its 1990 levels.

"Currently, Ireland is over 30% above 1990 levels," he said.

At the conference, European experts in wind energy told politicians and influencers how Ireland is seriously lagging behind the rest of Europe with regard to wind generation despite having the best wind resource in the union.

Martin McAdam, generations, operations and development manager with Airtricity said in 1990 the ESB National Grid said that wind could account for 30% of the energy requirements for the Irish national grid by 2000.

"In 2003, we are only producing approximately 2%. In 1999 the Government produced a green paper for sustainable energy under which the National Grid was required to facilitate wind energy into the grid.

"It is obvious that no such plans were ever made, and the five year National Development Plan which ESB National Grid were obliged to produce was never prepared or presented. Why?" Eddie O'Connor, Chief Executive of Airtricity said the current situation in Ireland was unacceptable.

"Despite having the best conditions for wind generation in Europe which the experts here today can reaffirm Ireland's renewable energy production is at such low levels that it corresponds to only 1% of the German level, 3% of Spain and 6% of Denmark.

"Ireland should be harnessing its natural resources and should be a net exporter of power rather than an importer," he said.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I was under the impression that our pulpit politicians (having signed the damned agreement) were under the delusion that simply buying carbon credits from Canada or Sweden would fix their complete lack of cohesive planning and implementation for reducing Ireland's carbon output.

Trumpeting the largest windfarm in the World off the Wicklow coast, doesn't fix the fact that Ireland's carbon output, is in fact increasing.

I hope the State does get fined, maybe some political bad press would get our politicains out of their cushty tribunal testimony giving jobs and back to the task of living up to commitments made (voluntarily) under Kyoto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Amazing how this government has looked the other way knowing perfectly well this massive slap on the wrist (or maybe in the face) is comming. The ESB seem hell bent on stiffling wind power in this country...

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Any time I see these big numbers I rationalise that there are about one million private sector employees. So as far as I am concerned this represents €7,000 out of my pocket (directly or indirectly by less services etc.)

Hate to think how much the US would owe ...

One way to beat it might be to invest €7Bn in capital projects so we could say - look we are DOING something about it...

Advertisement