Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CRUISER or MOPED?

Options
  • 18-12-2003 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

which would you recommend overall; a 125 cruiser , or 125 moped?

taking into account:
    -i am a bike virgin
    -reliability
    -ride comfort
    -speed
    -fuel consumption
    -traffic weaving

please help...

dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

2 words for ya:

Moped - Muppet
    Cruiser - Biker

Nuf said.

You choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

but really...
    practicality?

would the movement / acceleration / speed be much different?

Ok, here's the lowdown,

Moped's mainly come with 2 stroke engines, they are great for knocking around town and they pull away from traffic lights like a scalded cat but the reach their top speed very quickly (about 50mph - 125cc) and don't go any faster.

Cruisers come with a 4 stroke engine, acceleration is not as good as a moped but they are more reliable and they can go for ever, have a top speed of about 70 mph. They're also good for long journeys.

So if you want something to go to work on, get a moped. If you want an all week bike and a life changer, get a cruiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Was pricing them during the week. The mopeds seem to be a lot cheaper.

cruiser it is so!
    what do you think would be the best 125 cruiser?
    dragstar, marauder, eliminator...?

are they easy to find second-hand?

dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

No option here; go for a cruiser. something like a virago is perfect for a first timer. Get a second hand one obviously because you will drop it at least once. Theres loads of them on the market, mainly as they are so popular and ppl are upgrading. In fact, theres a lovely specimen for sale on these very boards!

I had a 125cc cruiser (Suzuki Intruder) and moved onto a 650cc cruiser at the start of 2002. In keeping with the genre, I don't think it'll be too long before I change to a fully fledged 1300cc cruiser/tourer. Something like a Yamaha Venture Star... pity they arent sold in Europe anymore :(

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Was pricing them during the week. The mopeds seem to be a lot cheaper.

The reason they are cheaper is that they are slapped together and the engines last about 18 months

I started off on a Suzuki 125 Marauder. I got some look's while on that thing. I actually got waves from guys on big hog's !!!

Those were the day's ......................................

rymus, is the virago made by yamaha?
    can't see it on their site.
    is it discontinued?

dave

right so...
    votes on 125cc cruisers.
    contenders:

-dragstar
    -marauder
    -eliminator
    -virago
    -other

dave

• Advertisement

the virago is indeed a yamaha...

It's not on www.yme.com which is a bit worrying. Either they've killed it off in europe or this is just some ghastly mistake. If the former is true then a 125cc drag star is your best option if you want to buy new. Theyre great bikes though, ive got the 650cc version :)

Even though its not on their site, you'll still find tons and tons of second hand models in bike shops and on the classifieds in the papers.

My vote would be...

Virago - because you'll find a cheap one and/or have lots to choose from
    Drag Star - because theyre gorgeous. More expensive because you won't find an old one.

Marauder - sorry to it's supporters but I dont really like them. Underpowered compared to other 125's.

If I was new to biking all over again and looking for a nice cruiser to start out on, I'd stick with an Intruder or a Virago. Both lovely bikes and will bring you anywhere you want to go.

votes on 125cc cruisers.
    contenders:

-dragstar - V-Twin , only 100% Biker Mag said it can only do 45mph at best
    -marauder - Straight Single, 13.5ps, good all rounder, 70mph top speed.
    -eliminator - ugly bast*rd, wouldn't touch it.
    -virago - V-Twin, Great acceleration, comfy seat, nice little chopper, about 65 -70 mph.
    -other - Honda Rebel or Honda Shadow, great looking bikes. The Shadow looks like a bigger bike because its liquid cooled with a front mounted rad.

Originally posted by Billy-Joe
    The reason they are cheaper is that they are slapped together and the engines last about 18 months

Thats more with the way 90% of people rev the nuts of them driving them flat out 100% of the time. The average moped is about 2500 whereas all these cruisers are about 4500+

Thats a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Billy-Joe
    -dragstar - V-Twin , only 100% Biker Mag said it can only do 45mph at best
    Never driven one of these myself. Cool looking bike though.
    -marauder - Straight Single, 13.5ps, good all rounder, 70mph top speed.
    That's 70mph on a slight downhill with the wind behind you. Normal cruising speed (on the flat, zero wind) is 55mph. To push it above this means going into the very high revs. (What's 13.5ps?)
    -virago - V-Twin, Great acceleration, comfy seat, nice little chopper, about 65 -70 mph.
    Yeah, easily one of the more powerful 125s. Good looking bike too (except for the skinny front wheel)

Have a look at the Suzuki Intruder. Some people here will complain about it, but it's a nice bike, very powerful for a 125. Takes your back a bit of getting used to though, cos it's kind of a sit-forward cruiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TUTS

I've had a suzuki maurader since april, its very reliable not a days trouble.......ever. Its a great bike not matter what anyone says.... for a 125 very nippy(good take off) in around town. On an open road youd get about 70 75ish, faster in shelter. I wish i drove it more........ (i have a lift to work)

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

I had a 125 Marauder as my first bike. I went for a 125 because I was nervous about trying to control too much power. LOL! Because my journey is mostly dual carriageway I found the top speed and poor acceleration was not confidence inspiring. Top speed for me was about 50-55 MPH.

So lack of power was one reason for changing. Also had applied for my A licence test and the minimum cc of bike for A licence test is 150cc. So it gave me another reason to change. Sure I could have hired a bike for the test, but that wouldn't help on the commute.

Although I ride a 400cc bike now, I would still consider a scooter. One of the bigger ones, say a 250cc Suzuki (Burgman I think). Scooters have built-in storage, don't require heavy footwear (for changing gears). You probably don't need as heavy protective clothing. I've girls riding scooters with clogs or whatever they're called this season. That's not to be recommended. Scooters also have a shorter wheelbase than a cruiser-style and are a bit more manoeuverable in traffic. Also a bit lighter too. Lightweight can help the thieving b******s around town too :(
    Also have a preference for 4 stroke engine to 2 stroke hair dryer. That noise would drive (!) me mental. Yeah I know the power thing is great but 2 stroke engines are less environment friendly than 4 strokes.

Cruisers tend to be lower than other bikes and can make if more difficult to see ahead in traffic. But the low seat means short-@rses can ride bikes too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Walter Ego

Riding a moped is like riding an ugly fat bird.
    Its all right till your mates find out.

Get the cruiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

I was thinking of getting a 125 intruder but because i will be using it for long journeys (Dublin to Galway/Cork/Belfast/etc.) i was told to forget about it and go for a Honda Bros? or something similar to this what does everyone reckon?

@johnny, for that length of journey, you'll probably kill the smaller engine. You won't enjoy the ride and will have feck all power on those trips. Probably something a 400cc, be it a Bros / Bandit / AN Other.

One thing I forgot to say to any prospective riders, is get out and sit on a few bikes. See what is comfortable. Not all bikes are the same. Just coz a leaning-forward position on a sports bike is good for you, doesn't mean my previously droken wrist could take the weight/pain on a long ride.

Also check out the insurance situation. Moving up to a bigger bike can push up the premium very quickly for young folk ;)

Jesus man... Dublin to Cork/Galway/Belfast is a long bloody way. Definately too much for a 125cc and if youre going to be doing it regularly it'd be too much for any normal bike. For that kind of milage I'd suggest a goldwing :D

Seriously though, I did the Cork to Sligo trip 4 times on my 650cc and although it actually wasn't that bad of a drive, its a right pain in the arse... literally..

• Advertisement

Originally posted by rymus
    Jesus man... Dublin to Cork/Galway/Belfast is a long bloody way. Definately too much for a 125cc and if youre going to be doing it regularly it'd be too much for any normal bike. For that kind of milage I'd suggest a goldwing :D

Seriously though, I did the Cork to Sligo trip 4 times on my 650cc and although it actually wasn't that bad of a drive, its a right pain in the arse... literally..

That's what I was thinking.

If you're going to be regularly doing long journeys, you'd be better off with a tourer. A Goldwing may be overkill (although damn comfy :D)

a_ominous...
    would a 250cc scooter push you out of the class 2 insurance bracket that the 125 scooter/cruiser would be in?
    because this would result in a jump of over €1000 per year for my age!

what kind of top speed would you get from a 125 or 250cc scooter?

dave

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Are there any real bikers on this forum?

Take it from someone who knows, unlike the piddly cruiser riders here, if you want comfort buy a 125/250cc 4-stroke scooter. If you want style buy a scooter. If you want storage capability buy a scooter. If you want to offer lifts to others buy a scooter. If you want better residuals buy a scooter.

A 125cc 4-stroke scooter will have better acceleration and top speed than a heavy asthmatic 125cc cruiser. Do not touch cruisers until you are up to 750cc or beyond. FYI - if you are still certain that you want a cruiser be aware that the best (fastest, most stylish, largest, and most reliable) 125cc cruiser on the market is the Honda Shadow by a long, long way. Although it is also the most expensive. All others are a joke standing next to the Shadow.

You will have more fun on a scooter too, and can use it for work, college, and in more weather conditions that any cruiser. I have had 3 big cruisers including a Vulcan and a Fatboy and I would not touch a cruiser/custom below 750cc with a barge pole. They may look good to a 19 or 20 yr old but a proper scooter (not a moped) will get more respect from other bikers on the road than a piddly cruiser.

Do not under any circumstance buy a moped (2 stroke) 50cc or 125cc. However a "proper" 125/250cc 4-stroke scooter represents a much better value for money, all things considered. You're kidding yourself if having a 125cc cruiser makes you a real biker. It most certainly doesn't. :D You'd be better off in fact with something like a KMX125 or Varadero rather than a tinny little cruiser. You will never be taken too seriously one way or the other until you have cubes anyway, sorry.

Originally posted by MojoMaker
    Are there any real bikers on this forum?

Take it from someone who knows, unlike the piddly cruiser riders here...

Tell me; have you been a condescending asshole all your life or is this a recent development?

Originally posted by rymus
    Tell me; have you been a condescending asshole all your life or is this a recent development?

No need for that mate. I think he made fair comments. Glad to see a alternative view point, as personally the whole puesdo biker image rings a little hollow. A scooter is for convience not image. I don't know why people are hung up on that. If you have to where a suit to work the scooter could well be the better option.

The bigger 4cyl scooter. What licence is require. Full driving ok for those. What sort of prices for scooter/insurance are we talking? I don't like those "estate" versions. What a good compact one?

fair comments on the scooters perhaps but is there really any need to belittle the opinions and choice of motorcycle of every other poster?

He could, like the rest of us have, posted his own comment on why a scooter would have been better without all that added flamebait.

dave is going to make his own mind up anyway and egotistical crap like that really doesn't help.

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    The bigger 4cyl scooter. What licence is require. Full driving ok for those. What sort of prices for scooter/insurance are we talking? I don't like those "estate" versions. What a good compact one?
    You'll need a Theory test -> bike licence -> driving test for anything bigger than 50cc. Any experience driving a car is null and ignored.

They're 4 stroke scooters, not 4 cylinder (that'd be pretty savage) :)

Insurance and prices are comparable to all other bikes. Go to www.bikeworld.ie and most of the info you need should be there.

For the record Mojomaker, there's a similar littany of abuse that could be directed at scooter drivers ;)

@davidclayton
    Take a look at Cotter motorcycles for a list of bikes and groupings. Cotter's also are an agent for AON / Hibernian.

I don't know top speed of the scooters. I Googled for "AN250 top speed" which is the Burgman 250 I mentioned. Top speed is listed on various pages as 80 mph. It is also a group 3 bike. IMHO top speed is not as important as acceleration / torque because most cars can outpace you on the open road, but you'll beat them from the lights and can filter to the front most of the time. Just don't be too greedy! There are times when it's better to hold back.

I think John Wheeler of the Irish Times did a review of a Honda Silver Wing; defo saw a review in a bike mag last year. It easily topped 100mph in comfort and outdid a couple of sports bikes in some parts of the test. BTW it's only a twin cylinder, but 4 stroker ;)

In fact acceleration is quite important. I used to cycle and remember several times having to go slowly from a standing start if I got caught behind a 50cc moped. They just have no real acceleration. In fact, my top speed on a commuter (not racing bike) was 37mph on the Chapelizon bypass. Could only go over 30 mph with a tail wind which wasn't ofter.

The insurance groups are worked on a power to weight ratio which also forms part of the terms of the driving licence. In Ireland Hibernian have 12 groups, in the UK they (well Norwich Union) have 17 groups. A bit of a nuisance but another symtom of rip-off Ireland.

One other plus about scooters over cruisers is the fairing / weather protection you get from day one. I don't see too many naked cruiser bikes out now. When I had my 125 Marauder, I was buffeted so much by the wind at 50 mph in the summer that I didn't look forward to the winter. That was another reason to get a bigger bike.

Originally posted by seamus
    You'll need a Theory test -> bike licence -> driving test for anything bigger than 50cc. Any experience driving a car is null and ignored.

They're 4 stroke scooters, not 4 cylinder (that'd be pretty savage) :)

Insurance and prices are comparable to all other bikes. Go to www.bikeworld.ie and most of the info you need should be there.

For the record Mojomaker, there's a similar littany of abuse that could be directed at scooter drivers ;)

My bad - "4 cyl" - LOL

Ummm big jump in cost of ownership from 50cc though. I'm looking at 7 mile commute through heavy traffic. Already have a car so I'd be looking at the lowest overall cost. I wouldn't be hammering it, theres too many lights on the route anyway. Rarely get above 30mph in the car on the same route.

• Advertisement

@Ricardo
    If you go for a 50cc moped, you won't need an A/A1 licence. Car will do. Bike will be cheap to buy and insure. Also goes on a whiff of petrol.
    That is probably best option for commute you suggest. But don't go trying to drive to Cork on it. Or use it on the motorway. Or get in from of me on my bike ;)

Advertisement