Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nanotechnology, what do you think about it?

• 18-12-2003 1:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

do you think we're gonna get to see it in action in 21st century?

imo it will be in full action(meaning everthing they promise now will be done) in 2080-90

scientists say they are working hard and they expect it in 2020s. but remember humanity? nothing is ever done in time

it suckes we'll never get to see nano, and the real androids:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Its going to really take of in the next 10-20 year and will then become extremely pervasive and an almost accepted part of every day life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

i think it will take off and i think that many cool things will come of it.

bring it on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

I think nanotechnology as it's currently evisaged (i.e. germ sized robots) is a very long way off. At a guess I'd say genetic engineering and biotechnology generally will be a more practical means of achieving most of the things that are currently dreamed about in relation to nanotech.

Then again wtf do I know? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Like nanotechnolgy?
    You will love Deus Ex

Maybe in the next 10-15 years we might have something with practical applications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

I want to see biological ram (living tissue).
    Imagine, almost 0 latency across teragigs of memory. I suppose you'd have to feed it too :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No you are not talking cells - you are talking large biomolocules (made by cells)

Storage densities could be phenomonal -esp if you can layer the stuff.

Because the distances are so small mechanical devices can keep pace with electronics.
    eg: if you had a HDD with an access time of 4ms - it's probably cos of a 4cm movement by the head/disk ie. one cm per ms (10m per second / 36Kph) a 100nm movement would take 10ns - purely mechanica.

Can't find a link to a reference where chlorophyl can change its shape in picoseconds (ie. heading towards terahertz)

======================

A biological approach to growing electronics.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126538

Self powered - Pacemakers and Implants
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129134

Advertisement