Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gasto Vans (not a happy Camper)

Options
  • 18-12-2003 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

OK I went passed a lovely Transit van that flashed at me this morning, I know ive been caught, how do I collect / recieve my 2 points? ,,,, is there a back door in the system still ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

you will receive the fine by post

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

HA HA! Shouldn't have been speeding!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do you mind me asking where this was?
    Was it a dual carriageway?
    Were you much over the limit?
    Was your speed inappropriate for the road (& environmental conditions)?

(before the anti-speeders crucify me, I am not condoning speeding - Im just condeming the current speed trap policy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you are not speeding you won't get trapped, and yes I know its annoying to get busted for doing 34 in a 30
    but thats the law...

Mike.

thats not my point - the Gardai are targeting the safer roads and not the more dangerous (statistically) raods.
    Take the Lucan Bypass, notorious for traps yet the only accident I am aware of is one that the Gardai caused

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fair point - I was on the south ring going into Limerick which is new dual-carrigway and as ever there was a car with camera gun positoned in the central median on a straight stretch picking off targets...amazingly ppl actually manage to get caught along there...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I agree with kbannon.

The Gatso van is regularly parked near SDS on the Naas Rd, near Newlands Cross.
    'Shooting fish in a barrel' comes to mind !

I reckon they also park there because they are too lazy to drive any further than Newlands Cross (i.e. it's convenient for them to do a U-turn at Newlands and head back to Dublin Castle).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Is it a regular garda van, white in colour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by Fabritzo

No.

Its a high roof transit, white and there is a green one aswell. No markings at all. Look at the right hand side back window where you will see the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Silvera
    The Gatso van is regularly parked near SDS on the Naas Rd, near Newlands Cross.
    Newlands Cross... is that around where Bewley's hotel is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Some would say speed traps are not to slow you down on the dangerous bits ONLY. But are to encourage drivers to stay within the speed limits ALL the time, everywhere.

@ RicardoSmith - some may say that but I haven't met anyone who believes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Originally posted by kbannon
    thats not my point - the Gardai are targeting the safer roads and not the more dangerous (statistically) raods.

One could argue that drivers whom speed on housing estates/backroads etc are also likley to speed on the by-passes/motorways etc, so does it really matter where they catch the speeders.

Of course the many drivers whom only speed on "safe" roads will suffer from this policy...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by GerardKeating
    One could argue that drivers whom speed on housing estates/backroads etc are also likley to speed on the by-passes/motorways etc, so does it really matter where they catch the speeders.

Of course the many drivers whom only speed on "safe" roads will suffer from this policy...
    I put a post up recently (maybe it was on Commuting/Transport) about "acceptable risk". Although it might sound logical, research finds that it's not necessarily the same people who speed all the time.

Besides, everybody speeds somewhere. Having designated speed trap areas is ridiculous, since people will then get to know the areas, and avoid speeding there. For example, everyone in Dublin knows that the road between the Red Cow r/a and Citywest has a pretty high risk factor for getting caught. Ditto for the section of N81 between the Templeogue Bridge and the Balrothery Interchange.

I would much prefer to see random areas. Stick Gardai on arsehole-of-nowhere backroads, right on a corner, on a slight downhill. Catch everyone... If you get it into drivers' heads that there could be a Gatso or speedie around any corner, a lot of people will cop on. In the current system, the only people who cop on are those who've been caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

It won't be too long before the mix of GPS and tachograph type technology takes the whole thing out of the camera's hands and your car will shop you for speeding. Th etechnology will probably be introduced as a "fairer way of charging road tax by number of miles driven" or some such....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Originally posted by Merrion
    It won't be too long before the mix of GPS and tachograph type technology takes the whole thing out of the camera's hands and your car will shop you for speeding. Th etechnology will probably be introduced as a "fairer way of charging road tax by number of miles driven" or some such....
    Yeah, you're right - this is almost certainly how it will happen. I remember reading that it was being seriously considered in the UK.

Anyone who thinks that speed traps are not about making money first, and road safety a distinct second is extremely naive. In fact, it's a non-argument. At least in the UK, the local authorities admit that their primary purpose are as a source of revenue.

Besides, everybody speeds somewhere
    Bull. Not everyone speeds. I don't.
    Ditto for the section of N81 between the Templeogue Bridge and the Balrothery Interchange.
    Why are you moaning about speed traps there? Do you know the number of people that have been killed there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Originally posted by tunney
    Bull yourself!

Do you do 30 or less in a 30 zone always?

Yeah?

Bull!

Do you do 30 or less in a 30 zone always?

Yeah I do, when I'm driving.

Once you understand the difference 5-10 mph makes in an accident with a pedestrian/cyclist you do slow down and abide by the limits. Yes it painfully slow at times but whats 10 minutes of my time compared to not killing someone?

Arse. You're fooling yourself.
    Why are you moaning about speed traps there? Do you know the number of people that have been killed there?
    I'm not moaning about speed traps there. It's just another place where speed traps are predictable. (Yes, people go slowly there now because of it, but once past Balrothery, people speed again.) What's the point in that?

• Advertisement

Arse. You're fooling yourself.

I couldn't give a toss if you believe me or not. I don't speed full stop.
    It's just another place where speed traps are predictable

Sorry, just realised that I confused the one you were talking about with the ones before/after the spawell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Eh tunney you were previously talking about speeding your push bike. ie doing more than 30 in a 30 mph zone. Stop getting all self-righteous about it.
    Yeah I do, when I'm driving.

Once you understand the difference 5-10 mph makes in an accident with a pedestrian/cyclist you do slow down and abide by the limits. Yes it painfully slow at times but whats 10 minutes of my time compared to not killing someone?

Mah, the odds of killing someone on a push-bike other than yourself are slim to none. The odds of killing someone in a car are much greater.

Anyway I'm not being self-righteous about it, someone made a broad sweeping incorrect statement and I was simply pointing out that he was wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Mah, the odds of killing someone on a push-bike other than yourself are slim to none. The odds of killing someone in a car are much greater.

tell that to the lad who smacked by a courier coming the wrong way down lower baggot st... and died, countless other serious incidents occur from similar accidents (pedestrian steps out on a one-way road looking towards traffic and gets knocked down by a cyclist coming the wrong way).

I was reading that all the van traps in the UK require advance signage even if they are just temp signs. The UK police were found to be in breach of european law and had to mark every camera trap.

I am researching this judgement with a view to see if it can be applied to Ireland.

Advance signage is ridiculous and anyone who insists on it should be given penalty points just for being such a selfish pr**k.

Advance signage is ridiculous and anyone who insists on it should be given penalty points just for being such a selfish pr**k.
    I tend to agree, but I'm a great advocate of erecting signs, even if there are no speed traps in the area.

Preventing people speeding is better than catching them speeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Can you spell Orwell?

It's one thing having to account for your movements on request - but having ALL
    movements on a database is a totalitarian nightmare.

tribble

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Fabritzo

gatso.jpg

far left

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ando
    gatso.jpg

far left

Where was that?

Seems to be overkill with Gatso on one side and bikes on the other. Typical revenue gathering activity.:mad:

Advertisement