Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Network question

• 18-12-2003 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

A quick question.....

I'm on a network in college on my laptop. And you can view all the other laptops on the network. Like everything. Is there anyway to prevent mine from being there???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No.

Install a firewall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

i had a firewall. but it didnt work cos i asume im allready behind one.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Henry_14
    i had a firewall. but it didnt work cos i asume im allready behind one.....
    That'd be the college firewall. If you put a small software firewall on your machine, you can protect yourself from any viruses the others users may be carrying, or any muppets who are connected with you. Think of a firewall as a big brick wall. The college one has every computer connected to the college network on one side, and the Internet on the other side. You are protected from the Internet, but not from other people in your college.

If you can see them, there's no way of stopping them from seeing you.

BlackICE should do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

A) What college

B) "like everything". Meaning what? You can see everyone listed in network neighbourhood / My network places or you can browse everyones hard drives or what? Be more specific.

C) "my laptop" What operating System? Did you have to configure it in any way to get on the network?

You might have better luck on nets/comms BTW...

Ok, sorry bout the info i gave...

Im in UL.

Yeah when you go into my netwotk places you can see some of em. By "all" i mean documents and "My Computer". I have norton Antivirus 2004. Not really worried by virus's. When i had Norton Firewall enabled the network would not work

I went to "My documents" and went to Security/Sharing and unchecked the option to make the folder visable to other users on the network.......This is it isnt it???

Im using Windows XP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

XP home or Professional?

What you've done should be fine - to make sure, have your laptop plugged in and try and use a standard college comp to access your computer. It shouldn't let you. If its XP Pro, you can disable simple file sharing and have all kinds of fun with the permissions then.

Xp home. Yeah i think is allright now. I cant access it from a friends machine. Thanks for your help lads
    :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Disable/remove "file and print sharing" from the netwoek interface you are using to connect to the network. Thats what makes u show up on the network. A personal firewall could be configured to stop the trafic but thats messy easier to shutdown the service/remove the protocol.

Originally posted by Rew
    Disable/remove "file and print sharing" from the netwoek interface you are using to connect to the network. Thats what makes u show up on the network. A personal firewall could be configured to stop the trafic but thats messy easier to shutdown the service/remove the protocol.

How do you do that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Start->settings->control panel->network connections

Right click on your LAN connection and sleect properties

untick the boxes beside "client for microsoft networks" and "file and print sharing"

Id reboot to be sure and then see if u come up on the network

• Advertisement

Thanks rew. It worked. The laptop aint there anymore.

:D:D

Advertisement