Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thermal pad -v- goop?

Options
  • 18-12-2003 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭

Any opinions on which I should be using?

Thinking of ordering a Coolermaster CP5-8JD1F-0L, up to AMD XP3200+ from komplett for the new box I'm putting together.

Coolermaster stuff comes with a pad already on the heatsink, right? What would be best to use to remove it if I decide to use the goo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

You want advice - DONT - buy that crap (sorry but it is) get a real HS and fan and yes use 'goop':D Artic Silver goop should do the trick, any HS other then a stock CM one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

any of the artic silvers will do (3, 5) but don't get that cooler.

buy the zalman CNPS7000A-CU it's dead quiet plus it's a brilliant cooler it's brought my p4 temps down 9 degrees. (was 40 now 31) and i havn't seen it rise over 55 under full load! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Peel off the pad and wipe off as much as you can with a lint free cloth.
    Use Isopropyl alcohol (any chemist) for removing the residue from CPU & HS.
    Don't use Nail varnish remover as it can leave a stained matt finish (contains additives). Isopropyl leaves a squeaky clean & shining surface :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I have that exact same model in my athlon system which is overclocked to 2.1Ghz. Ambient temp 24, Idle temp 34, Load Temp 42. So I heartily recommend it as a good budget heatsink. Remember a heatsink is just a block of metal (well mine is aluminium), copper has a premium price tag. Your choice.

Advertisement