Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I like it!

• 09-01-2001 12:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

A pub, anywhere in Ireland,
    Evening sunlight streams through stained glass windows,
    turning old oak and glass into a cave of treasures. All
    around, the hub of men and women relaxing over their drinks,
    talking, laughing, flirting.
    The barman catches your eye. This black beer that everyone seems
    to be enjoying, you'll try a pint of theat.
    As you wait for your pint to settle( for this is part of the ritua
    of ensuring its enjoyment), you hear the distinctive sound of a banjo being
    tuned. Yes, there it is in hands of a young man sitting at the table under the clock.
    An older man reaches under his chair and takes a battered old fiddle from a scuffed
    case. From nowhere, guitars appear, a sqeezebox, a silver flute, a tin whistle, a bodhran.
    A momentary hush desends.
    And then, with one voice, the entire pub erupts into song. As you lift your pint from the bar, savouring the paradoxof a pale, creamy head on nectar so rich it's almost black, you realise that this is it: this wild, foot-stomping, heart-quickening musi, this laughter, this pint, this sheer joy is what the irish call "the craic".
    It is the celebration of life itself. And as you lift your pint to your lips
    your foot tapping merrily away, you might hear yourself say, with a distinctive Irish lilt, "sure isn't it grand!"
    Enjoy it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

pfun1.jpg

Boomtux9.gif

Ph33R M3!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

What's wrong with Stu? I think he's gotten stuck inside an ad...quick!! get into the telly! QUICK!! THERE MAY NOT BE MUCH TIME LEFT!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

I can't get the TV open! (panicking now) Stu! Stu! Can you still breathe?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

CT ur just gone in the head where u find this stuff.!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

no,no it's ok. I'm going to Australia next week an i have this aunt who thinks i'm going to forget all about ireland so keeps irish music and books about the history of irlean and all that jazz. i thought that passage is such a good reprasentation of ireland today!

Advertisement