Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom and esat fun

• 18-12-2003 1:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Right heres the story

I was on eircom 150hour flatrate in november which i cancelled by sending an email to cease@eircom.net at the of november. the reason i did this was because i had applied for esat bb. However theres been no sign of the bb and i rang esat today and they said backlog yada yada eircom yada yada two more weeks.

So said i better get the flat rate back as i do be online a good bit when i'm on holidays so i rang up eircom a few minutes ago as i wanted to reactivate till the end of january as i should have the broadband then.

I was told by what actually seemed to be a nice young lady was that the flat rate had never been cancelled (which i can attest to as i'm online using it now) and she asked me to email eircomnetcontracts@eircom.net just to make sure it just hasn't been processed.

i was just wondering because i've been using the 1892 number up to now would i be entitled to get the money back on these calls as the flat rate was never cancelled or at least get them transferred into my 150hour limit?

and who would i email about this?

thanks

data

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    i was just wondering because i've been using the 1892 number up to now would i be entitled to get the money back on these calls as the flat rate was never cancelled or at least get them transferred into my 150hour limit?

with eircom.... highly unlikely. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

When was your last bill date?

If you haven't been charged for the November flat rate subscription yet, then when you cancel, you won't pay that, but you will pay full cost for all the 1893 calls you made in November, as well as the 1892 ones you made after you thought it had been cancelled.

So, no you can't. Unless you've been billed for flat rate when it should have been cancelled, there will be no difference in your next bill regardless of it was cancelled now or last month.

Basically, if you originally cancelled before your last bill, you're entitled to the subscription fee back, but eircom are entitled then to bill you for all 1893 calls made before your last bill. If you cancelled after your last bill, then there will be no difference if it' was cancelled then or today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

thats confusing the crap out of me :) i'm due to be billed before xmas i think. before i tried to cancel it last time. i asked about the charges and she said i would just be charged the €30 for the use of it in november which was why went back to 1892 from december onwards and just went online in the evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

thats confusing the crap out of me :)
    lol, I know it's ridiuclous.
    i'm due to be billed before xmas i think. before i tried to cancel it last time. i asked about the charges and she said i would just be charged the €30 for the use of it in november which was why went back to 1892 from december onwards and just went online in the evening
    Ok, maybe she's right, I'm not entirely sure of that.

I do know though that you can't transfer calls through to your limit.

There is one thing you can try (chancing your arm though...) - They recently erected 'walled gardens' for known 1893 customers who are unwittingly dialling the 1892 number. When they dial up with the 1892 number, they get a popup informing them that they are using the wrong number, and to ring tech support.
    Tech support have been told to supply the procedure for customers to contact customer services to get reimbursed for the 1892 calls made. So just call tech support saying your got the popup, and it's ok, you've removed the 1892 connection, but need to know how to go about getting refunded for the calls.
    If it works, you'll simply be keeping your old, uncancelled Flat rate contract, and getting reimbursed for your calls....

Good luck :)

i didn't get the popup though for some reason. ah screw it, its own 15-20 euro worth of calls i've made on 1892 i'll just email that eircomnetcontracts thing and ask what they can do. if not well i still have 150 hours left till the end of this month which i'll my damnest to use and its my own fault for being so bloody optimistic and thinking i would get bb in two weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

in a word. no.

they won't take any responsibility for calls you made on the 1892 number (apart from under exceptional circumstances).

joyful update

today i recieved the eircom bill for some reason the flat rate was 43.98 inc vat. i expected it to be 59.98 i was like wtf so rang up and they gave me some waffle about not charging me for the full month and being in the middle of the billing period with a bit of luck i was undercharged. more likely then not it will be on the next bill.

with regards to the bb i recieved my broadband application back today saying the form was incomplete.

got a nice attached letter saying we tried to contact you (yeah right no missed calls on the mobile no messages on the house phone) you form in incomplete you only need to fix the bits highlighted with circles.

guess what nothing on the bloody form is highlighted with circles (i did forget to check which install option i required) why the hell didn't they bloody email or ring or something. so much for bb on xmas day for FF XI argh just bloody shoot me i'm so pissed off.

so have to send it off again and now i'm debating whether to get eircom's package with the ipod? do iolbb have an offer like that now/

god spare me :mad:

data

ah if i took the time to read the letter i'd have found out that its because i used my credit card detail for payment and not my dads.

contacted esat and apparently there is no way around this you must set it up with credit card or direct debit by account owners name. my dad doesn't have a credit card and his dd are done through a staff credit union and can't just be set up.

hmm i may have to go for eircom where its less hassle, i can get an ipod, i get to pay €5 extra a month, but i did find out the cap is download only not download and upload like esat.

opinions welcomed folks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Your upload with a 8gig dload limit (unless upload files on purpose) will be under half a gig at most. (i dloaded 30gigs one month and my upload was 1.2gigs AND that was from uploading a couple large files).

You seem to know all the information that you need so only you can decide what you want to do really. We cant make your mind up for you :) (and yes i know you asked for opinions :p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

ah if i took the time to read the letter i'd have found out that its because i used my credit card detail for payment and not my dads.

contacted esat and apparently there is no way around this you must set it up with credit card or direct debit by account owners name.
    A couple of people have reported that. It's almost as if someone in ESAT is doing their best to discourage people from giving their money to ESAT. There must be lots of homes in the country where the person who wants 9and who will pay for) broadband isn't the person whose name the phone account is in.

• Advertisement

hmm does this mean its actually true and not something they are waffling me with?

if so the only choice i seem to have for bb at the moment eircom, if anyone knows a way around the esat thing i may go with it. i could get ibb but theres a €150 set up and i think i'd rather put that into an ipod.

just to let peole know i went into 3G store today, they also want the account holder to go in with two forms of i.d prefarable your last eircom bill and your passport/drivers licence and info of your direct debit if you have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

hmm does this mean its actually true and not something they are waffling me with?
    This post is from someone whose IOLBB account is in a different name from the phone account holder.

It seems like "policy" in ESAT is shared by word of mouth, and there's no gaurantee that the person you talk to today has heard the same version as the person that you talked to tomorrow.

Advertisement