Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly installed Problems

• 18-12-2003 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Ive just instaled the ESAT BT + firewall package at work. I cost near a grand for the whole thing!

I was sure that more than one computer would be able to connect and so was the boss!!!! Then guy that installed it said I need to set up a network.

What do I do to sort things quickly

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

get a router for the DSL and a rubiks cube for the boss.. That'll keep him quiet while youre setting up the router :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

MM I dont know how much expertise you have in networking, by your question I'd say 'not a lot' - correct me if I'm wrong. So answer me this how many computers are you going to connect to the net??. If it's less or equal to 4 you can get a cheap DSL router and put NIC(network cards) cards into all the computers if they dont have any. Then just connect the NICs to the router using patch cable (not X-over!!) and then connect the router to the net. Note: if your modem is an ethernet one you should have no problem finding a router that accepts it if it's a USB one I suggest getting a router/modem combination (a router with inbuilt modem), it's easier in the long run.

You just afto configure the computers (clients) to automatically accept IPs from the router (server) in network connections and that should be it, they will all connect to the Internet through the router. Do you understand the setup?, if you have any questions ask, if you have more then 4 comps it will be trickier to setup and more expernsive, so tell us what kinda of a network you have or are going to setup - since I think you may not have one setup already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

MM Are you on one of those community care schemes or did you send away for one of those internet 'degrees'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Knoe quit it **Offler rolls on the floor laughing** - It's NOT funny!:D :D.

Advertisement