Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some questions about the eircom Self-Install package.

• 18-12-2003 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I am thinking about getting the eircom Self-Install broadband package for home. I just have a couple of questions about it:

1. The 4GB download cap... what happens after I go above 4GB? Is there a cost per MB or does the service just shut off or what? How quickly would roughly an hours general web surfing per day put me over this cap?

2. How hard is it to install on Windows XP Professional?

3. If I order it tomorrow morning, Friday, can I realistically expect it this side of Christmas? I know that the posting of the modem would take a couple of days but if they posted it tomorrow surely I could have it by Monday?

4. Will it change my life forever and render my parents useless due to the love and affection my little Netopia box will give me?

Thanks guys,
    Bob

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I can give you a mixture of opinions and answers:

1. According to your contract, you will be charged something per MB over your limit - I'm with UTV (8GB cap) so I don't have the €ircon charge to hand. If you search around the board, you will see a lot of reports from other €ircon users on this subject - apparently, they don't charge you unless you go a good bit over your cap. 1hour per day general surfing should easily fit within 4GB - in my experience, you only start pushing it if you're downloading a lot.

2. Nothing to say - I don't use XP.

3. Contrary to all applicable legislation, it appears that people who order €ircon broadband do get it a lot sooner than those who order from other suppliers, but I would still be very surprised if you get it before Christmas.

4. I cannot comment on your parents, and if it changes your life forever, then you need to get a life - it's the internet a bit faster, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Not much hope for before christmas, be the new year at the earliest. Not so sure about the life changing either. XP shouldn't be a prob. And the cap well, unless there is serious abuse, downloading Lord of the Rings, that sort of thing, you'll live with 4GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Is there any reason you want Eircom? Why don't you get IOL or UTV, they are cheaper and you get the double the cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

eircoms cap is download only, iol's is download/upload. you can get an ipod with eircom also with iol you must have a direct debit or credit card method of payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ronan001

1. i've went a little over two or three months now and hav'nt been charged!!! An
    hours general web surfing!!! You wont go anywhere near the 4GB limit never
    mind go over it! An hours general usage is only bout 60Mb at the most for me!!
    Which is 1.8GB. If you download music or video files, oubviously this will increase!!

2. Installling it on Windows 2000 is easy!! Just install your modem! you set the
    configuration on the modem PPPoeE and set the Vpi to 8 and Vci to 35, if you
    dont know what this is, dont worry, it just simply fill in the boxes as you install

3. Not a hope! I'd imagine febuary

4. what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

just wondering on top of that does gaming add must to your cap?

Advertisement