Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating Pc's???

• 18-12-2003 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I wasnt sure where to post this but if anyone can help......

I want to update the pc which currently is pretty lacklustre in terms of power

64mb Ram
    733mghz
    2gb hdd

I was just wondering is it possible to update the Memory 64mb to say 512mb, the 733mghz to about 3ghz and the hard drive to 120 gb???

And if so how much would it cost?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by masterclassman
    733mghz to about 3ghz
    That bit means you need a new motherboard to take the CPU. Also CPU's take a lot more power than they used to so you might need to change it as well. Note: if you have a Dell desktop (or some other brands) - then there is a chance it uses a non-std PSU in any event.

Even if you could reuse the memory there is no point since it would "slow down" the 3GHz cpu.

So you might be better off replacing the base unit and selling on the one you have ...

=====================

If you keep the base unit / motherboard then..
    Depending on the MB you have you may be able to get 512MB and 120 drive recognised. (if it was older I'd guess that 256 or 384 MB might be the max and it might not recognise drives bigger than 80GB)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 masterclassman

Ok thanks for the info.

I think id be better off to save up a bit and buy a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

It would cost about €900 you should start saving........

Thanks joepc.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Is this cokane again? Kane&Co whatever the dumbass is called...

Advertisement