Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

program that password protects ur files

Options
  • 18-12-2003 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a reliable program that will password protects my files. All the ones i found wern't reliable according to the reviews best i could get was a 38% thumbs up rating.

Anyone know of any good ones?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭fatmander

Winrar
    Winzip(especially latest version)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Are there any that dont require you to zip them first?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you had windows XP you could use encrypted NTFS folders - but you'd have to be careful as there might be issues if your registry gets trashed. (IMHO a bargepole job)

Linux offers very secure file sets with BIG passwords..

in XP you can open zip's through the OS - one of the many things you turn off to get it usable

BTW: power archiver 6.1 is free as are lots of zip clones.
    Winzip is not free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Or you could use PGPDisk - it makes a virtual disk that you set a password for, and mount/unmount as you will. When it's mounted, it appears as a hard drive in My Computer (with whatever drive letter you specify), and works more or less like a real one too. You can also specify a key combo to unmount all disks, even when using any program (something like ctrl+alt+shift+F12 will avoid program clashes).

You have to download it as part of the PGP package, and it's freeware up to a 6.2(?) build, but you can get a 6.5.8 'ckt' build by googling from it, though I'm not 100% sure if that's kosher. I never saw anywhere that said it wasn't.

Advertisement