Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDA recommendation

• 18-12-2003 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

I've been asked to give a recommendation on a PDA for my uncle. I know very little about this whole area, so I thought I'd better ask here.

He wants it for his contacts, (sync with outlook) and wants to be able to view/edit basic Word and Excel files on the go. Internet connectivity isn't essential, but it would be Very Nice. (tm)

He likes the sound of bluetooth for syncing with the PC and internet access through his phone. 802.11b would be nice, but if he can connect to the net via bluetooth to his phone, it wouldn't be needed.

So far, he's been looking at the Dell Axims. *shrug*

I have no clue in this area.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I have the basic Axim X5 and have no complaints. There are two versions, one with a 300Mhz processor and one with a 400Mhz processor. The 400Mhz one also has 64Mb memory vs. 32 on the other. To be honest, I don't think you would notice the 100Mhz difference. There is also the new X3, but I don't know an awful lot about that.

As it uses PocketPC 2003, it comes with Word, Excel, Notepad (with excellent handwriting recognition software), media player and of course, Outlook, so you can synch your contacts and e-mails if necessary.

What convinced me to buy it was the two expansion slots - the Compact Flash and SD/MMC. I have a 512Mb Compact Flash card, a digital camera card (only a novelty really), a Wifi card (for internet access - quite good considering the size of the screen) and a 128Mb MMC memory card (640Mb in total + the on-board 32Mb of memory, gives me more memory than my PC!). I also rip DVDs to watch them on the PDA - it is surprisingly good quality.

In summary, the X5 is a good basic model, with loads of potential to expand via the two slots. If you want a model that has most of these features built in, then maybe the X5 isn't for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Hmm, thanks for that.

What about the internet connection and syncing via bluetooth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

if he's been researching an Axim then looks like he's after a Pocket PC (so will rule out Palm OS devices for the moment - unless you want them included then post back)

Axim X5 is a fine device, a bit chunky and good value for money - although a year old and the basic version has been dropped in the US - their more recent X3 option enhances some specs (lik a SDIO slot not just SD, and integrated WiFi on one model), the form factor is altered to be less chunky but the trade off is the CF slot goes...

Bluetooth on the Axim can only be added with an expansion card, a CF card on the X5 and a SD card on the X3 as Dell has yet to produce a model with integrated Bluetooth (for some reason!) - need to watch with the X3 though that you lose the option of an external memory card if you use the Bluetooth SD card...

The HP iPAQ range is another option to look at, although price points are usually higher than the Dell range, but you get more options and Bluetooth integraded on a lot of models - he should look at the 1940 and the 2210 models for entry/mid-range products which integrate Bluetooth - WiFi can be added to the 1940 with a WiFi SD card (although it's new and therr are some driver issues with some Access Points) and to the 2210 with a WiFi CF card

always look off the Irish high street for a price though - check out UK online retailers for iPAQ prices first to compare - and think about taking out a HP 'care pack' for an extended warranty...

the 4000 range is more higher end (and expensive) as it integrates both WiFi and Bluetooth, but the 4150 blew me away with it's svelt form factor and the spec...

Syncing via Bluetooth is handy, but depending on how much you are syncing it can be slow enough... also if the PDA is to be used with a Laptop while out and about a USB sync/charge cable can be a more practical option to Bluetooth syncing, as you can top-up the devices power and sync as fast as is possible...

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

You could also check out the two new handheld computers which Toshiba have launched - the Pocket PC e400 and the Pocket PC e800. These are equipped with integrated Bluetooth, allowing you to connect to other Bluetooth enabled devices, or Wi-Fi connectivity for convenient Internet access to a public wireless hotspot to to a companys wireless network.

It includes voice command software designed to quicly access your sppointments, contacts or time and date.

Other software includes a text-to-speech application, where you can listen to an audio narration of e-mail messages, e-book files and other text documents.

With th Toshiba VoIP phone software installed on the e800, you can place phone calls over a broadband wireless network anywhere in the world, reducing the cost of making long distance and international calls via traditional phone systems.

More here

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jkb_dub

One thing I'd recommend is get a price and stick to it, there are so many choices you could easily go overboard. If you don't mind purchasing using ebay, check it out, as there are great deals to be had. Also - spend a bit of time in the shops getting used to the different sizes and weights.

I've an ipaq 2210, which for me is perfect, the size/weight and the ability to use compact flash and sdio cards was the winner for me. I've a number of cf cards for GPS, Modem, and WiFi. Integrated bluetooth is handy for syncing with desktops and mobiles but I'd prefer integrated Wifi as hot spots are starting to appear here but are widely available in other countries. IMO, It's a bit of a pain carrying all the cards around.. The ipaq 4150 is one to keep an eye on however the price of the Axims is very good and it's definitely worth investigating the X3i.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by sci0x
    You could also check out the two new handheld computers which Toshiba have launched

i'm didn't like Toshiba's decision not to offer an OS upgrade path for PDAs... especially for the likes of the e740... HP on the other hand offered 2003 upgrades on their higher end line all the way back to the 3850 model (released 2 years ago!), and Dell were the first to offer an Upgrade on their X5 line

the e800 looks does look very interesting though with it's 640x480 rez display functionality, although it's rumoured others manufacturers may follow in the not to distant future....

BrianG

Advertisement