Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy Irishman jokes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Ignore him, he's obviously deranged or taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I always thought it was stupid the way they were told as 'Paddy Englishman, Paddy Irishman, Paddy Scotsman' in Ireland. But then again, it's already a bit thick to tell jokes where your own nation is the butt of the joke.

Anyway, I think these jokes are sexist, it should be an Englishperson, an Irishperson and a Scotsperson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Personally i believe that paddy20's right, theres enough ridiculous laws out there to make one banning paddy irishman jokes perfectly plausible. i just think its probably a stupid law that everyone ignores.......like copyright law!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

i just think its probably a stupid law that everyone ignores.......like copyright law!

Bad bad bad choice for comparison. Copyright laws may be ignored by a lot of people, but most of them are far from stupid, and I think that they serve a good purpose.

Banning Paddy jokes is stupid, ignored by everyone, and serves no purpose. Hence, you cannot compare the two at all, as the only thing they have in common is that they are being ignored.

EDIT: I had to add that I don't think that these jokes are illegal. I think that paddy20 should be ignored until he can produce proof to support his claims (and I truly believe that's gonna happen).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

But then again, it's already a bit thick to tell jokes where your own nation is the butt of the joke.

Well, in my social circles, Paddy Irishmans is always presented as being the cleverest/coolest/whatever one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Originally posted by simu
    Well, in my social circles, Paddy Irishmans is always presented as being the cleverest/coolest/whatever one.

Same here its the Englishman who gets the short straw...

BAN JOEKS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by Funky
    Same here its the Englishman who gets the short straw...

BAN JOEKS!
    Since the only way to stop this racism is to halt it's transmission, we should obviously ban all forms of communication :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Someone's a bit slow... if you noticed my other post up further you would see that i think they whole branding this racism is quite funny... but i know its hard for some to actually read posts instead of putting inane comments at the end :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

racist :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

lightweight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

RE: Paddy the Irishman 'Jokes' Racist or Not ?

BioHazRd,

Further to your post and question to me relating to the above of 25/12/2003 @ 22:09 pm.

I refer you to this link as requested; http://www.cre.gov.uk/pdfs/rhaw.pdf

See case 2. Mr T McAuley V Auto Alloys Foundry Ltd [1994].

Quote, " After weeks of being told that he was a "typical thick Paddy" Mr McAuley complained. He was told to ignore the comments because they were just "Jokes".

The tribunal had "no hesitation" in saying " That Mr McAuley had been directly discriminated against on racial grounds " which include grounds of nationality or ethnic or national origin.

Mr McAuley was awarded compensation totalling STG£8,000.00p.

This is not the full transcript, which can be read simply by downloading the pdf file, but I believe it gives credance to and justifies my view on " Paddy the Irishman " jokes, as expressed by me.

P.:ninja:

RE: Commission for Racial Equality. UK & EU.

BioHaRzd

Further links; Re above.

The following link; http://www.cre.gov.uk/
    is the main one in relation to racism and recent new '1997 EU Law' which updates the 1967 Race Relations Acts, and includes referances to the illegality of "Paddy the Irishman" type jokes.

If in the 'search' section you type in - jokes - or - racist jokes - etc, the search engine will produce the official legal legislative documentation upon which the Courts must act. Anyone bothering to read this legislation should be left in no doubt that "Paddy the Irishman" Jokes, are as a part of 'speech' demeaning, injurious, & racist. Therefore illegal under the said legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

Personally i believe that paddy20's is right, them jokes are for english snobs mocking the irish , now they they have us mocking ourselfs wheres peoples Irish pride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

animation1.gif

Cop on, would ya paddy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

lets declare a holy war on those evil people telling Paddy Irishman jokes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Originally posted by Paddy20

Quote, " After weeks of being told that he was a "typical thick Paddy" Mr McAuley complained. He was told to ignore the comments because they were just "Jokes".

The tribunal had "no hesitation" in saying " That Mr McAuley had been directly discriminated against on racial grounds " which include grounds of nationality or ethnic or national origin.

Mr McAuley was awarded compensation totalling STG£8,000.00p.

I can see how people calling him a typical thick paddy is illegal, but if that's all they were doing, and they weren't telling actual paddy english, scots and irishman jokes, how do said jokes have relevance? (I didn't read the article by the way, as i'm way to lazy, it they were telling those jokes i'll retract this statement on the grounds that coupling them with the above is offensive due to the conditions in which it is told.)

Btw Paddy20, you still can't answer my question from the other thread, so why are you going to campaign when you can't answer a simple question that relates so closely to said campaign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Paddy provide some fecking Irish links if you want people to take you seriously will you? you're actually making your case worse by just providing links on UK law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

please keep on topic folks - or I will lock this thread too

Bio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

So are jokes about Women sexist? What about jokes about religon are they not sacreligous? Then again there are jokes about **** surely that one should affend you of all people? Now stop being an attention whore and get over it. You have had your little rant. Why don't you just move along now.....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

C'mon now lads, settle down and lets discuss this rationally.

If Paddy Irishman wishes to get onto us to make a formal complaint then we will of course take it very very seriously. Similarly Paddy Scotsman and Paddy Englishman may not appreciate their names being associated with the various shenanigans being talked about here ...

Since the question of nationality is the issue here and isn't actually crucial to the jokes (which are surely meant as only some harmless fun with any injury caused severely regretted by all concerned) I suggest that we drop the nationality from any further jokes and merely number the various Paddys.

Have you heard the one about Paddy18, Paddy19 and Paddy20 ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lmao. Plyd ecksor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

I find this thread Anti Semitic, Either add a full paragraph supporting Isreal and the jews, or I will lable you an anti semitic and report you under the race relations act.

Fact is Freedom of speech is absolute or not at all.Once you comprimise freedom of speech it is open to abuse from all vested intrests.Also dont confuse freedom of speech with freedom of expression.big difference.

BioHazRd,

Quote you: " Paddy20, you still can't answer my question from the other thread, so why are you going to campaign when you can't answer a simple question that relates so closely to said campaign ?." end quote.

Exactly what "campaign " are you on about ?..

I have never stated or written anything about me starting any campaign ! on this issue anywhere. If you are another poster who was gullible enough to be taken in by 'Funkys' mischevious & misleading 'Post' on the other 'paddy joke' thread, a post which had to be edited by 'BioHazRd' the Moderator before he rightly locked that thread, as imho he should lock this one as well ?.

Then I suggest that in future, you put your brain into gear before typing and posting such un-answerable and insulting rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hmmm, UK case based on a UK law. You're a resident of the UK right?
    This is not the full transcript, which can be read simply by downloading the pdf file, but I believe it gives credance to and justifies my view on " Paddy the Irishman " jokes, as expressed by me.
    The bit where they were "illegal"? See previous answer.

Or just the difference between a paddy joke and calling someone a thick paddy, as outlined by the working brain types above (I'm just out of an exam, my brain is off). Just because some thick Englander said something was a joke doesn't make it a "joke". It's a mere insult (yeah, to jokes too!) if it doesn't have a semblance of a plot.

Move to the UK, post on a site based in the UK, get insulted as a thick paddy and you can call to my office. A joke about some designated random Irishman called paddy doesn't count if it's an Irish bloke telling it.

Hear about the one with the three paddys eating lunch on a building site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

Is this a good time to start posting my Paddy Irishman jokes?:p I can't believe there is so much war over a joke!

ecksor,

Quote: " Since the question of nationality is the issue here and isn't actually crucial to the jokes. I suggest that we drop the nationality from any further jokes and merely number the various Paddys. " end quote.

If the Moderators of this forum agree with your suggestion. Then I am more than happy with that. As long as nationality is not included. There will be no objections/arguements or "formal complaints" from this real life Irish resident citizen who happened to be christened Patrick.

P. :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=6836

Obviuously way too much time on ones hands if all he has to worry about is paddy Irishman jokes...

And I agree with one of the previous posters.....what does english law have to do wth Irish law???....for gods sake we spent long enough trying to get away from their rule,,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

There will be no objections/arguements or "formal complaints" from this real life Irish resident Paddy.

P. :ninja:

Ehm, we're all real life irish resident paddys thank you very much! dwayneburke is right, you have WAY too much time on your hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by UnrealQueen
    Is this a good time to start posting my Paddy Irishman jokes?:p
    I reckon now they've received some attention, this is a GREAT time to start posting your Paddy Irishman jokes. Ditto Catholic Paddy, Anglican Paddy and Presbyterian Paddy jokes, "this German, this Belgian and this Pole" jokes, Mick Irishman and his two friends with the same name from different parts of the queen's domain jokes and anything involving a priest, a minister and a rabbi.

I said rabbi!, it won't fit in a pot of boiling water for you Fatal Attraction types.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement