Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you do this to protest again fees/cutbacks?

Options
  • 18-12-2003 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/031205/80/egd4b.html

Naked students in protest streak

BERLIN (Reuters) - Dozens of naked Berlin students have braved freezing temperatures to streak through the centre of the German capital to protest at plans to cut spending for universities.

About 40 students wearing little more than shoes, smiles and slogans that blasted the spending cuts surprised festive shoppers with a series of sprints through a Christmas market near the central west Berlin business district on Friday.

Chanting "We're here, we're naked and cutting funds for education is stupid", the students were taking part in the latest action over the last three weeks to protest at some $90 million in proposed cuts to Berlin's three universities.

German universities, which a century ago served as a model for universities in the United States and other countries around the world, have suffered in recent decades under cost pressures.

German universities generally charge no tuition fees and some of the country's two million students have mounted protest campaigns against political leaders who have proposed introducing fees to help finance university costs.

In Frankfurt, hundreds of students protested against the cuts outside a building where soccer officials and sports stars were gathering for Friday's 2006 World Cup qualifying draw.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

No!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

yeah as long as i was protesting with a nursing college or some college where hot chicks outnumbered blokes and fat birds

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

maybe under the circumstances that gucci states but methinks no

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

For the laugh (& a good cause) I probably would. I'd rather not do it by myself though. Which means there would have to be a gender mix to avoid any possible confusion in the newspaper headlines (I'm as liberal as they come but last time my pic was in a national newspaper was above a little caption saying something along the lines of "who gives a damn (not me) what Emmet Stagg gets up to in the Phoenix Park" after I was stopped for a street poll).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Originally posted by sceptre
    For the laugh (& a good cause) I probably would. I'd rather not do it by myself though. Which means there would have to be a gender mix to avoid any possible confusion in the newspaper headlines (I'm as liberal as they come but last time my pic was in a national newspaper was above a little caption saying something along the lines of "who gives a damn (not me) what Emmet Stagg gets up to in the Phoenix Park" after I was stopped for a street poll).

Your really really gangster. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement