Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio query

• 18-12-2003 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Hi my dads looking for a personal radio for xmas. The only real criteria is that its small and that he can listen to the football on it.

His says that the football is on radio 1 and can be gotten on FM/MW but that the radio station only plays the football on MW. However he thinks that the football can also be heard on AM.

Does anyone know if this is true? as it means i can get him a nice small sony one i have my eye on.

cheers

data

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

AM is MW, sure you're not talking about LW (long wave) too?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RTE radio 1 or BBC Radio 1 - IIRC both are on Medium Wave.

FM is stereo
    AM could include LW MW SW Long / Medium / Short wave
    But usually AM is the same as MW and almost all radios have it .
    LW - is there anything in English apart form BBC Radio 4 or Atalantic 252 OR THE NEW RTE STATION !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

he did mention lw but he said the main football he listens to is on mw, he said there was something else on lw he might listen to.

he did seem to think the football would be on am though also.

there is a sony pocket radio i was looking at that is FM/AM nice and small and there is a slightly bigger Roberts one i was looking at that is FM/MW/LW both are the same price but i would prefare to get him the sony one if it did the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

For soccer, I'd guess he's talking about 5 live (BBC radio 5), which is on AM (693 and 909 ).
    If it is 5 live, and a digital tuner, make sure that the radio can be set manually to these freqs, some radios will auto seek right past them - which is very annoying.

on another note - very old school interpretation of wireless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah i wasn't sure where else to put it :)

anywho i picked up this today he seemed to approve when i showed it to him online

its a roberts radio thing with FM/MW/LW and it should do the job

thanks for all the info folks

data

• Advertisement
Advertisement