Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

soccer on the radio

• 18-12-2003 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

I posted something on this in wireless but this might be a better place

Hi my dads looking for a personal radio for xmas. The only real criteria is that its small and that he can listen to the football on it.

His says that the football is on radio 1 and can be gotten on FM/MW but that the radio station only plays the football on MW. However he thinks that the football can also be heard on AM.

Does anyone know if this is true? as it means i can get him a nice small sony one i have my eye on.

cheers

data

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I don't know about AM but you can listen to a klot of the matches on BBC Radio 5, I think it's fm95.2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Small confusion - AM is MW! Yep its like FM is VHF but no-one says VHF anymore! Am means amplitude modulation and covers both MW and LW however thats not relevent as LW is only good for BBC Radio 4 who dont do footie.

As for radio if you want quality and are willing to spend a bit more then check out Roberts they are sold by Argos.

What do mean by personal? Pocket sized?

http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/lifetime_personal_radio_range_page.htm

The main sources for footie on radio are Today FM on Saturday, Radio Five Live either on FM via cable or on MW 693 and 909. RTE Radio 1 has some footie some MW
    during the eircom league.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

thanks for the quick reply folks.

yeah its pocket size i'm looking for. i was looking at the roberts one in the argos it looked good i was also looking at the sony one beside it.

check out the irony i already both that sony one for the g/f as she wanted a pocket radio now the da wants one also weird.

i think it was the radio 1 football he mentioned which is played on mw but not on FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Mike65 mentioned that you can get BBC Radio 5 on FM if you have cable but I haven't got cable and I am using a normal Hi-Fi. It is around 95.2-95.7.

Also Dataisgod, I don't think Radio 1 commentate on football as Radio 5 do but I can get tRadio 1 on FM too. Its at 99.7.

Maybe its just where I live (Dublin South Centre) but give it a try and tell me how you get on.

tbh i've no idea when the football is on just as my dad said to me its some station which on mw changes to football when its on but on fm stays with other stuff.

so from this info does it mean it doesn't matter if i get one with mw/lw or one with am i will be able to recieve the same stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Could your father be referring to RTE Radio 1 by any chance? All the replies here seem to be from people talking about the BBC, and their footie coverage on Radio 5 (BBC).

I seem to recall that when RTE Radio 1 are doing football commentary, they broadcast the football on MW (AM) and keep their usual programming running on the FM band. Which would match your initial description.

Hope that helps.

yeah i think it was RTE radio 1 and yeah that matches my initial description thank you, once i can get the football on AM

can you get LW on AM also?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

if he is into football big time especialy the premership etc then radio 5 (5 live) is the one to look out for they cover all the matches there and have phone in's and stuff afterwards. today fm covers only the saturday matches i think while radio 5 will cover them all week round!

mw 909 i thnk its on so a good personal radio would be needed if you want to pick it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    yeah i think it was RTE radio 1 and yeah that matches my initial description thank you, once i can get the football on AM

can you get LW on AM also?
    Originally posted by mike65
    Small confusion - AM is MW! Yep its like FM is VHF but no-one says VHF anymore! Am means amplitude modulation and covers both MW and LW however thats not relevent as LW is only good for BBC Radio 4 who dont do footie.

T'would appear so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 rollover

does anyone know whether you can receive radio 1 and what frequency its on?
    (i live in galway btw)

• Advertisement

hmm he didn't mention Radio 5 to me, though i think i know the one your on about. their is a radio on argos with mw but i do prefare the sony one have to say its neater.

ah what to do

http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/r984_page.htm

this seems to be the way forward thanks for all the replies folks much appreciated

Advertisement