Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

downtime/pings?

• 19-12-2003 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

forgive my ignorance,
    but what is downtime and what are/how do i measure ping times?
    also, any1 know when the optimal times for downloading with utv are?
    i suppose its like 4-5am, how about daytime speeds?

cheers
    ¬hacksaw

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Downtime is pretty self explanatory it's the time when your Internet connection goes down and you can't connect because of diffrent network problems(could be anything). Ping is measured by clicking on start clicking on Run and typing in 'cmd' press enter a command line comes up type in 'ping hostname/hostaddress' with name/add being either a string like www.google.com or jolt.co.uk or an IP address(this is less used) like 192.168.0.1. Speeds vary but usually biz hours would be the worst - I think:p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

forgive my ignorance,
    Of course.
    but what is downtime and what are/how do i measure ping times?
    Downtime i assume is when the product or service is not available. Im assuming u mean DSL so downtime would then be when your DSL is not working.

Ping times are measures in ms. The lower the better. Depending on Operating System go to start->run and type cmd (or command)

then type ping <ip>
    (where <ip> is the address you want to ping)
    also, any1 know when the optimal times for downloading with utv are?
    Cant help you there im afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭hacksaw-eddie

im on win xp and for some reason the shower of ("nice microsoft ppl") have taken the run prompt off. how do i find it or even put it back into start menu?
    cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It should have the command prompt somewhere in the programs menu. Otherwise go into the winnt folder and look for cmd.exe click on that.

Advertisement