Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Sense Filter

Options
  • 19-12-2003 3:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi my friend just recently introduced me to this site and I think its fantastic! My only problem is that I cannot access it on the web in work. When I try to access it it is filtered out by Web Sense as "Web Chat" and I can't get on.

The thing is I can get on to many other chat sites and forums. Is this because of the meta data on the site containg key words that Web Sense picks up?

I would love to be able to join in on the converstion during the day (only on my lunch hour of course :rolleyes: )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

It could be the meta data and the new title on the main page that now contains the word "chat" but it could also be that boards.ie is explicitly banned.

I don't know much about Web Sense myself so that's just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They use websense where I work as well, but its odd how I can get around it.

Typing "www.boards.ie" or "boards.ie" into the browser brings up the usual websense page about Web Chat sites being blocked. Using muppet.boards.ie works fine, full boards access :)

I'm guessing the IT people where I work just added a rule for blocking www.boards.ie to websense, not bothering to use a wildcard like *boards.ie.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It may also be worth trying the IP rather then the URL
    just my 2cents...

Advertisement