Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car starting trouble

Options
  • 19-12-2003 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

My car wouldn't start this morning. It hasn't been as frosty as usual so I don't think weather was the problem. It was like a horror movie when they are trying to escape the bad guy and the car won't start... except mine still won't start.
    I didn't leave the lights on, or the keys in the ignition... is it oil or the battery?
    any suggestions on how to get it on the road again? Please. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We'll need more info...petrol or diesel, any electrical problems lately? Any funny noises? Any warning lights on the dash staying on?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Car make would also be useful I imagine and the year !
    Did the starting motor turn over - did it even attempt to start ?

Tinky

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

further to the other questions:-
    When was it last serviced?
    Does it normally take a while to start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

got her fixed... needed a boost from someone elses battery though... the battery I have is from '92 ... think I'm gonna need a new one :confused:

You have an 11 year old battery????? Get a new one! :D

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They probably don't make type anymore - you'll have to get a metric one :D

Anything over three years old and I'd get suspicious of the battery if starter motor wasn't turning over freely.

Check to see what size battery you car can take - usually you can go up a size - don't know if it's worth it or not on an older car, but a bigger battery should last longer as it would be less stressed..

BTW: a battery I had got one last charge and then died it was just that quick.. [edit - during winter]

Old batteries just won't hold a charge esp in winter with so much load demanded by de-mister, blower, headlights etc...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

do that p.o.w.e.r check, if all looks grand - it has to be your mixture.

this is the most common reason for a car not starting.

gl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭an_taoiseach

"BTW: a battery I had got one last charge and then died it was just that quick.. "

Yes Capt'n

I've noticed that batteries seem to just stop working these days ( i.e. 'just like that' )

Not like twenty years ago when a poor battery could be kept up for months with a trickle charge every second night.

'suppose its the price of progress

An T

You have an 11 year old battery?????

turns out its only 5 years old... :) only

I got a set of jump leads... maybe I should get a battery instead

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

5 years is still too long for it to be reliable.
    look @ www.boach.com.my/faq.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I think how long the battery lasts varies from car to car (even of the same make) .. I had to change mine early this year ... turns out it is the second replacement battery for the car - the car is 8 years old ....

In my experience its mainly about the type of driving you do - town driving is heaviest on EVERYTHING, inlcuding battery drain. Also I think diesels are kinder than petrol cars on batteries....does anyone know if "sealed for life" units are better or worse than the type you can top up?

Mike.

thanks for the link kbannon ... informative
    A normal lead acid battery will have a lifespan of 18 to 24 months.

yup.. time to get a new battery mes thinks.

Mike... I do all town driving ... I may be asking alot of my battery

Advertisement