Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free iPod or Xbox with iolbb

• 19-12-2003 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭

I keep hearing that you get a choice of one of these if you sign up to iolbb but can find no detail on iol website. Anyone know for sure??
    Also if using a Mac the "free" internet security package is windows only. Smacks of false advertising to me.......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i know eircom have the offer but i don't know if esat have, i would also like to know if this offer is available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

where do you keep hearing about it ?

the ipod offer is available in 3G stores until 24th december, 150 euro for 10Gb ipod rrp €350

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Are those 3g stores not another name for eircom stores. If so I doubt they are selling IOL broadband

sorry that offer for the ipod i mention is with eircom.

i don't know what the story is with the 3G stores, 3G is a mobile phone operator over in england i'm not sure what their story is here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by clearz
    Are those 3g stores not another name for eircom stores. If so I doubt they are selling IOL broadband
    They sell Meteor, O2 and Vodafone mobiles. They also do €ircon stuff, but as a reseller.

It is what it's.

i checked out the 3G deal today. the account holder must go in with 2 forms of i.d, being your last eircom beal and a passport/drivers licence and info about your current direct debit if thats the way your pay it.

data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

This deal was on the eircom website but seems to be off now but I can confirm the deal is still avail until the 24th dec.

It's available from the Eircom Broadband store on Henry street just *above* the 3G store (it's easy to miss if you're strolling down the street it's been there months and I never noticed it you have to go inside the 3G store and upstairs).

As Dataisgod said you should bring photo ID and a utility bill (mine was an ntl doesn't have to be eircom bill) and your direct debit details.

€79.99 for the Xbox with Halo and Midtown Madness plus the full XboxLive Starter kit (communicator with 12-months online).

Obviously this includes the broadband sign-up offer that Eircom et al are doing at the moment (free self-install, modem and first month). Nice thing is the modem they supply has both usb and ethernet ports so can have Xbox and PC plugged in at the same time with no extra hardware.

Btw you should note that currently Eircoms monthly Cap (4Gig) is half that of IOLs and a fiver a month more expensive but it still works out way cheaper with the Xbox offer.

If you're like me and primarly interested in fast web surfing and Xbox Live gaming then it's a damn good offer (Kazaa fans etc. might be better off looking to another provider but I should say that a mate has been using Eircom for a while now and has never been charged for going over the cap (in quite a big way sometimes))

Only other thing to note that it will be the new year before you're actually up and running but you can at least walk out the door cheap xbox in hand and play it over Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

I signed up for this last week and picked up my Ipod today. They were having problems getting Ipods and I think they may not be on offer anymore.

i spoke to the guy in 3G on friday evening they got a number of ipods in about 50% of which where going to people that where already waiting for them. he was then going in to town on saturday morning as all the ipods got delivered to blanch and he was dropping into henry street with there allotment.

i'm going into town with my dad on monday morning to sign up for eircom bb, esat is not an option for me and the only other option is ibb which would cost a 150 to set up and for which i'd rather have the ipod for that money.

i'm not a huge downloader i just want the bb for online gaming

its sucks not having it for xmas as i originally applied for iol but i can't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    i'm going into town with my dad on monday morning to sign up for eircom bb, esat is not an option for me
    Sorry, I missed that part of the thread - why isn't esat an option for you?

no problem, esat insist on payment for bb by direct debit or credit card. also the payment must be made by the account holders name. which means i can't use my credit card, my dad doesn't have a credit card and my dad only does direct debits through his staff credit union which means i can't get esats stuff, i asked was there anyway round it and the people said no its ridculous but ah well least i'm getting an ipod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    no problem, esat insist on payment for bb by direct debit or credit card. also the payment must be made by the account holders name. which means i can't use my credit card, my dad doesn't have a credit card and my dad only does direct debits through his staff credit union which means i can't get esats stuff, i asked was there anyway round it and the people said no its ridculous but ah well least i'm getting an ipod.
    In this thread Clownboy and Sarn both have IOLBB, with the accounts in their own names, even though the Phone account is in someone elses name.

UTV bill the phone and broadband on the same bill, so you can't pay for the broadband seperately, but some people have definitely been able to do it with ESAT.

(Of course, the thread I referred to makes it sound like ESAT is being run by an oreillycom employee, because it's hard to understand how ESAT makes any money at all, when you read the sort of screws they make all the time).

thanks for the info ripwave but i went ahead and signed up for eircom this morning with my dad and gave out the €150 for the ipod which i should have in a few weeks
    i'm kinda pissed with esat as i really wanted the bb for xmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

What about the line test you still have to pass that no?

yeah i still had to pass the line test, they won't let you near an ipod unless you do. also is there a 'mac' version of the ipod as he said i'd need a firewire to usb adaptor until i told him i had firewire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

3G must be only able to get the mac version then, thats no big deal i suppose some much for decent use of my USB 2.0 then

Advertisement