Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uses of Broadband

• 19-12-2003 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I would like to get a very comprehensive list of your uses of broadband together. If you would all be so kind as to list your uses and give details if necessary, that would be greatly appreciated. I will be taking them and putting them up on www.broadbandforjoe.com in the 'Why Broadband' section, as I believe that the more uses that are up there, the more likely it is that someone will become interested and seek to get broadband. You will see that I have broken the page into high speed and always on. You can follow that or not. It doesn't matter.
    Thanks in advance, iwb.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Always On -

E-mail of course.

I can look up information pretty much on a whim, unlike dial-up where i had to consider connection time & pay-per-minute cost (not such an issue now with FRIACO) - For example, watching TV news and turning to the computer to look up the background to the news item is something I do regularly.

Or if there's a movie about to start on TV I'll check the IMDb to decide if its worth watching.

Speed -

If I miss the TV news (which I often do), I can watch the RTE news online in streaming video.

Hmm, I seem a little Television oriented, don't I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Great. I thought it was just me:) That is the kind of thing I am looking for. Specifics are great too in this context. Another one for the speed section is the free Irish film site that is advertised here.
    Thanks BendiBus. Please keep them coming folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Always on again for e-mail. I use IBB because they're cheap and the service is excellent. I generally use the speed for watching footy (Celtic broadcast all their games for €13 a month, and sky have every champions league goal this season up on their website for a fiver a month). The low pings are cracking for gaming as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by BendiBus
    Or if there's a movie about to start on TV I'll check the IMDb to decide if its worth watching.
    I'll second that - I'm using IMDB fairly regularly these days, either to check whether the film is likely to be worth watching or to answer the "Who played so-and-so" questions that often come up after a movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Specifically, Linux - ISO's, updates/upgrades, HowTo's, etc.

Generally, fast surfing - e.g. because I have BB, I can check out my current fave threads on Boards in seconds - if I still had dial-up, I probably wouldn't bother.

I have found that having BB makes the internet more like other utilities or services - always there, to use when you need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Here's a boring use (in addition to all the above) - VPN into work. Very nice connection into the work network which makes doing stuff from home as easy as from work. Dial up is too depressing for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Hey, there are no boring uses of it:) For a zealot like me, as long as you are using it, that's all ultra cool. I also use it to VPN and have a softphone on the end and also a collaboration package.
    Please keep them coming. Any gamers out there? What about XBox live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Also great for voice over IP, you can a gateway device that will lett you plug in a normal phone (or just use a softphone). Check out www.freeworlddialup.com, you can get a free uk and us number, and free calls to the us and canada all christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

The (official :rolleyes: ) Top 5 uses for my broadband connection:
    1. Email
    2. WWW (love the spontanaeity of always-on)
    3. Streaming Radio ('cos I'm abroad)
    4. IP Telephony (I use www.Skype.com)
    5. Big downloads (e.g. Service Packs, Linux Distributions etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

Vpn
    study+ work
    gaming
    vcd's ;) (even with the damn eircom cap!)
    mp3's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

Why broadband?

- fixed monthly fee
    - Always on
    - Fast surfing
    - Connection sharing
    - Gaming
    - Downloading open source/freeware software and fan subtitled japanese anime/mangas from IRC (among other things)
    - Uploading (when updating my website)
    - Mp3's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Oh yes! Radio streaming - forgot about that. Use that regularly for listening to football coverage that's not on radio as it's not ManU I want to listen to :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Uses for my Clicksilver .

Gaming-gaming-gaming-gaming-gaming-gaming-gaming-gaming-gaming-gaming-gaming-gaming-gaming-gaming-gaming-gaming-gaming-gaming-gaming-gaming

Oh and e-mail , plus always on is handy for looking up stuff on ye olde google.

irc with m8's abroad + teamspeak for talking with same .

John.

Advertisement