Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open source Excel alternative ?

Options
  • 19-12-2003 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Just wondering if anyone knows of an alternative to MS Excel. Open office is too big a download so i was wondering if there was anything else i could try ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

you could try this...
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,3842,00.asp

it is just over 4 mb in a zip file

KR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

open office

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

www.openoffice.org - the poodles noodles

perhaps this could go on a community CD burning scheme

there is also a thing called 602tab - in 602 Pro PC Suite

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I 3rd Open Office,
    perhaps we should put a sticky about OpenOffice for this forum since so many people ask about it and look for Office alternatives
    whata think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

He specifically asked for something OTHER then Open Office and all of you guys reply with OO:rolleyes:, well done :p.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Funnily enough I was actually on topic this time
    the problem was not OO but bandwidth
    and 602 is similar, smaller, free (faster ?) but not open source

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

He could get someone on DSL to download it for him and burn it to disk, or maybe get someone in a internet cafe to do it for him during the night.
    It shouldn't cost more then a few euro's

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by Cabaal
    He could get someone on DSL to download it for him and burn it to disk, or maybe get someone in a internet cafe to do it for him during the night.
    It shouldn't cost more then a few euro's

Give it up Caball

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've got it here (downloaded at work, about 60 odd megs). In the spirit of xmas send me your adress and i can burn it and stick it in the post. (how much does it cost to send a cd? Anyone?

If you stick it in a flimsy rather than a case it weighs 20g
    48c will get you 100g max 5mm thickness (for 25 mm you'd pay 60c)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Sorry i took so long to reply.
    The problem isnt so much the bandwith, its more so the actual size of the installation. I didnt explain it very well, i dont need a full office alternative i only need an Excell alternative.

Anyway i got it sorted in the end. management had to fork out for some more licences.

On a network install OO only takes about 2MB per profile on the local drive.

The network drive could be from a CD or from a read only drive - most os'es these days can most formats read only eg: NTFS / FAT 32 / Ext2 can all be read from Win 98 / ME /Nt /2K /Xp /Linux

You can now buy gigabit ethernet cards for €25 inc VAT.

Advertisement