Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB or Ethernet

• 19-12-2003 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Don't know anything about them, so which one is best? Is ethernet more secure?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

There is no real difference between usb and ethernet when It comes to ADSL. Both are physical layer technologies which means they have nothing directly got to do with security they are just ports that allow the transfer of data to and from your computer. Ethernet has becone a kind of standard when it comes to networking and has been around longer than USB. The difference is USB is already on most computers built since 1999 but you most likely have to go out and buy a special card that plugs into your computer to use ethernet.

USB is around 12Mbps
    Ethernet is 10/100 MBps
    DSL is 512 KBps

As you can see both USB and ethernet can both easily handle a DSL connection
    Security is a software issue. Get yourself a good firewall package like nortons which comes free with IOL broadband (If anyone ever gets it).

John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Theres a HUGE difference between USB and ETHERNET routers and modems.

A router/modem that runs via USB will take up a nice chunk of cpu time and computer resources, you may have problems with drivers etc. On a slow(ish) computer you will definately notice a slowdown using a USB modem. Also, sometimes USB modems have been known to drop connections, not always, just sometimes. It might depend on how fast your computer is, a slow computer might drop the connetcion a lot if you do CPU intensive stuff.

However using Ethernet you will find there areno problems! Its literally plug and play. It takes up no CPU resources or computer resources, and generally is more reliable that USB.

I'd advise ethernet over USB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by clearz
    There is no real difference between usb and ethernet when It comes to ADSL. Both are physical layer technologies which means they have nothing directly got to do with security they are just ports that allow the transfer of data to and from your computer. Ethernet has becone a kind of standard when it comes to networking and has been around longer than USB. The difference is USB is already on most computers built since 1999 but you most likely have to go out and buy a special card that plugs into your computer to use ethernet.

USB is around 12Mbps
    Eathernet is 10/100 MBps
    DSL is 512 KBps

As you can see both USB and eathernet can both easily handle a DSL connection
    Security is a software issue. Get yourself a good firewall package like nortons which comes free with IOL broadband (If anyone ever gets it).
    There's one other important factor - because ethernet is such an established standard, there are ethernet drivers for just about everything. So if you want to run some funky version of Linux, or the latest release of MacOS (or Windows NT4) you might not be able to use a USB modem, because there might not be drivers available in your OS for that device. And if you want to create a network to share your broadband connection between more than 1 machine, it will make your life a lot easier if you have an ethernet connection, because you can connect any ethernet device to any other ethernet device (devices are peers of one another), but when you connect USB devices one device is a server, and the other a client, so you don't have the same amount of flexibility.

If that just makes it all sound more confusing the simple rule of thumb is that if you will only be connecting one Windows machine (Win98SE through WinXP) or a not too old and not too new Mac, then USB will probably be more convenient. If your machine is running any other OS, or already has an euthernet port or doesn't have a USB port (so you'll have to install some hardware anyway) go with ethernet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

If you have a puter that has no ethernet connection onboard you can buy one from www.elara.ie for very little (there is one there for les than €14 ..dunno how much p&p is) .... overall, for futureproofing I'd say go with ethernet ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

A router/modem that runs via USB will take up a nice chunk of cpu time and computer resources, you may have problems with drivers etc. On a slow(ish) computer you will definately notice a slowdown using a USB modem.

I wasn't aware that USB was so processor intensive but it seems kinda obvious since ethernet is delivered through an external card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

VERY CPU intensive when I went for an ethernet router & dumped my USB modem my CPU temps went down 3C I didn't even afto be using the internet just the fact that the USB modem was plugged in meant it had to be *constantly* managed by the CPU. USB is rubbish for network/internet stuff - my speed also went up 2/3Kbps with an ethernet router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

I wasn't aware that USB was so processor intensive but it seems kinda obvious since ethernet is delivered through an external card.

What if you use a PCI USB card, does that do the processing itself?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Many ethernet devices have some intelligende and some have firewalls built in. Also if it has NAT you can simply plug an ethernet device into a hub or switch and stick PC's MAC's XBOX's etc. in to it Some have DHCP too so you can use them to simplify home networking. And you can connect ethernet directly into an AP and have wireless internet (or just get an ADSL modem with WiFi built in)

USB only if you are tight on funds or don't like the idea of an extra box plugged in all the time and you don't ever plan to get a second PC - sharing out a USB connection can be tricky ...

It isn't CPU intensive at all - unless you've got an old 90Mhz Pentium, I'd be surprised if you could even tell (unless you've got some really crummy drivers).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Also many (not all) usb dsl modems are powered from the usb too which can cause issued with some cheap usb chipsets (sis 7001 for one). Often the power management options of the usb need to be tweaked before sucessful operation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Get Ethernet, you can hook it to a hub thus allowing you to have more than 1 machine using the BB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Ripwave
    It isn't CPU intensive at all - unless you've got an old 90Mhz Pentium, I'd be surprised if you could even tell (unless you've got some really crummy drivers).

It was for me using the default drivers - all the processing is farmed out to the CPU so it's not exactly a free ride. Quite a few routers are pretty hot because of the amount of processing they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 zakumara

If we go with IOL do we have choice between 2 ?

I think USB is nice thing, but I have a scanner,web cam, printer, camera etc..

I wouldn't want to add more to this bus.

Originally posted by zakumara
    If we go with IOL do we have choice between 2 ?
    No, but it has been suggested that if you claim to have a Mac with Panther installed (the latest version of the Mac OS) they'll agree to give you an ethernet modem. But they'll probably make a balls of it.

or tell them your computer has no usb ports, but has 2 ethernet ports...

And if neccessary, grab an old computer with no usb ports, and put that on display when they arrive.

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    And if neccessary, grab an old computer with no usb ports, and put that on display when they arrive.
    When who arrive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Zion

One other different didn't mention here is the price different between the two. I do a lot more prefer an ethernet modem but since UTV only supply me the free USB one so why not take it! Sharing internet connection isn't a problem only that at least one computer has to be on all time.

well, if they decided to come out and help you install the ethernet modem, as you have no usb, you wouldn't want a shiny new pc there with 18usb ports.

If enough ppl claim to have no usb or use panther, they might start checking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

If you use USB you have to install a PPPoE client on your machine. That's what uses up the cpu cycles.
    I use an ethernet modem/router/switch combo.
    Works perfectly.

I highly recommend one.
    You'll only be sorry later if you get a USB device.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    well, if they decided to come out and help you install the ethernet modem,
    Right, they'll spend €200 on labour costs to send someone out to check that you're not getting a €90 modem instead of a €60 modem.

I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I use an ethernet modem/router/switch combo.

Syxpak.... which modem/router do you have?

I'm looking for one that I can connect to wirelessly. Which needs to be in one bedroom.
    A wireless link to two other rooms PC in one Xbox in other and poss a laptop.
    I've looked at so much stuff I'm confusing myself...... thats if I wsn't confused already!!! :rolleyes:

Kevin

Originally posted by kleefarr
    Syxpak.... which modem/router do you have?

I'm looking for one that I can connect to wirelessly. Which needs to be in one bedroom.
    A wireless link to two other rooms PC in one Xbox in other and poss a laptop.
    I've looked at so much stuff I'm confusing myself...... thats if I wsn't confused already!!! :rolleyes:
    The Dlink DSL-604+ is a DSL router with Wireless.

€188 from Elara.

The Netgear DG834G is less than a tenner extra, and supports 802.11g (54Mbps instead of 22Mbps). Don't forget though, that you'll need more expensive 802.11g cards to get the benefit (and your DSL link is only 0.5Mbps anyway).

Again from Elara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Ok... I think I've decided on one of these together with this.

And also one each of this this and this .

I think that should do the trick, shouldn't it?

8)

Advertisement