Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very odd broadband problems

• 19-12-2003 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

For the last few days i've been experiencing some very odd problems. Some programs just can't connect to the internet at ALL.

One such program is Steam (used for playing Counter-strike).

Windows firewall is disabled (i run windows XP home), i've tried disabling my software firewall (Kerio). I have no router/ external firewall so that isn't causing it. I've run several adware/spyware removal tools (37 items removed) still no go. I ran a virus scan, nothing found. I've also tried reinstalling the problematic applications, still no go.

I;m at a loss, will i have to do a windows re-install. Or is it an ISP side problem? (i'm with IBB)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Have you tried good old dial-up to see if the problems persist? Specifically what programs are you having trouble with - just games? Sounds like something is still blocking either ports and/or protocols (UDP/TCP). Don't suppose you have another machine to hand or take a Ghost/Drive Image of your HD, re-install OS and apps and retry. Then restore HD afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

What is the exact setup of your internet connection?, are you behind a router. Have you recently changed any network settings?. It's only certain apps that can't connnect to the net?, so browsing works fine it sound as if certain ports are being blocked is it on and off or is steam blocked all the time?. See if you can ping the steam servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I have no router/ external firewall so that isn't causing it

So that rules out that problem....

As for trying dialup, i can't at the moment, unfortunately i cancelled my dialup with NTL when i got broadband :P I figured i wouldn't need it. Oddly enough i'm not having problems with Diablo2 (i installed it to test it). That works perfectly online. This is quite odd.

Also, the programs that aren't working are constantly not working. I'm not quite sure how long this has been going on for, as i've been quite busy these last few weeks. Previously noticed a few apps not connecting (such as live-update for norton) as well as steam. And i was trying a new Voice-over-ip program today (Skype) and that wasn;t working. Thats what made it all click. It was when that refused to connect that i realised that this was happening a lot lately.

Any more ideas are welcome.

EDIT: is there any way for me to check what ports are blocked (if they are blocked)?

EDIT2: I think it might be an ISP problem, my browsing seems to be slightly intermittent at the moment. I think a call to my isp is in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

There seems to have been a breakthrough, everythings working now. i know i've changed nothing. I've been doing some video editing for the last 3.5 hours. Odd. Thanks for the help given, i'll call again if anything happens.

Advertisement