Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Fire Inside

Options
  • 19-12-2003 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Alright...

Aunt gave me some money to buy myself a Christmas present. I'm considering buying something by AFI, but I'm not sure which album to get. I've heard nothing but praise for Sing the Sorrow, and like what I've heard from it, but I also like what I've heard from some of their older albums(The Art of Drowning, All Hallows, Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes), and was wondering if someone could perhaps steer me in the right direction.
    As I guide to what type of music I'd be into, I like very energetic punk, á la Sacrifice Theory, but also very beautiful stuff, á la The Leaving Song part I. Any recommendations would be appreciated, hopefully there are some AFI fans on Boards who can help me in my, uh....plight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'd say get The Art Of Drowning, that's my personal favorite of theirs...
    But it's all good stuff, to be quite frank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Chaos_Path

get Black Sails in the Sunset. its on the same level as Sing hte Sorrow, but its around the time from when AFI were evolving from punk to what they are today.
    or get all hallows EP
    or the art of drowning
    or....
    yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

personally i think sing the sorrow is there best work. but if you`re more into their raw hardcore goth punk side id reccomend the art of drowing.

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    personally i think sing the sorrow is there best work. but if you`re more into their raw hardcore goth punk side id reccomend the art of drowing.

lets clear this up. AFI. ARE. NOT. GOTH.PUNK.

Originally posted by Chaos_Path
    lets clear this up. AFI. ARE. NOT. GOTH.PUNK.

Oh, what the ****?
    They couldn't be more Goth Punk if Peter Murphy joined the band!

In fact, they're the closest thing around these days to the original Goth movement, like Bauhaus, and Siouxsie And The Banshees.

• Advertisement

USED to be punk.
    not punk. not goth, never were. the new album has a lot of people confused.
    theyre about as goth as Carl mc Coy in reebok trainers and a shellsuit.
    forgot about Siouxie though, good point Poindexter.

Davey Havok loves me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

Thank you all for your recommendations, I got The Art of Drowning and am very impressed, especially by The Lost Souls, Ever and a Day & Wester.
    As for the AFI are/aren't/were/weren't goth-punk, I shan't comment because I've heard nothing from Bauhaus and very little from Siouxsie and the Banshees, although I will say that even though all I've heard from Sing the Sorrow doesn't have as much of a punky edge as all of their older stuff I've heard, some of it is still punk.

It's not because of the new album, Chaos Path, it's since 'Black Sails' that the goth influence has come in. Honestly, are you saying there's not a distinct influence from the likes of Bauhaus, Joy Division and the like!? Crazy.

Alright, but you cant call Black sails goth.
    theres an influence from Bauhaus et al cos Mr.Havok is a huge fans of these bands.
    but come on, theyre not goth.its tha same as calling Evanescence goth.

im not putting afi down, cos they happen to be one of my favourite bands but yeah.
    it should be interesting to see how the new album turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Yea they rock, I caught them at lowlands. Best band there imo, very impressive live show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    I'd say get The Art Of Drowning, that's my personal favorite of theirs...
    But it's all good stuff, to be quite frank.

i concur.

sing for the sorrow is a great album too, and probably a good way to get into afi

Originally posted by nadir
    Yea they rock, I caught them at lowlands. Best band there imo, very impressive live show.
    i had a ticket to that but no way from london to glasgow, so i got the london show.better than nothing, and it was a fantastic show.

Advertisement