Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight Club

Options
  • 19-12-2003 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by smiaras
    Think Fight Club will be our generation's equivalent of Pit Fighter.

LMAO as soon as I saw that fightclub was being made into a game I immediately thought "pit fighter"

ALSO, anyone find this to be majorly ironic considering what the film was about??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

ALSO, anyone find this to be majorly ironic considering what the film was about??

very good point, i wonder if the writer (chuck Phalanuck) of the actual book had any say in this.. although given that its a game based on the movie rather than the book Id say they dont have to deal with him at all.

this is going on my 'least anticipated movie to game adaptation' with reservior dogs and kill bill (Im sure theyres more, just cant think of them)

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

looks like tekken with no individual characters, just one plain dummy mode or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

'Press X to say "His name is Robert Paulson"'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

The idiots! That will suck beyond belief.

If you actually wanted to make a Fight Club game that respected the spirit of the film, it would have to be a Grand Theft Auto style game with missions, interactive characters and dialogues explaining some of the ideas expressed in the film and also with the film's sense of humour. (I haven't read the book at all). Which would take far more effort to make than a third rate fighting game.:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Im curious as to what sort of game theyre going to do to try and reflect Fight Clubs spirit. Cos despite the rantings of some moronic games journalists videogames never have been and given commercial demands never will be platforms for art, no more than cereal box designers.

Any videogame that was designed to reflect Fight Club would be slammed as not fun or playable because quite simply the aforementioned GTA style running around beating people up on missons and stuff and talking to ingame characters to unlock more missons with a few areana style fights thrown in is more about GTA than it is fight club.The arena fights and operations mayhem and mischief werent the reason behind fight club, they were the means to the end.

An end which the author himself admitted when talking about the book is extremely controversial, that he got away with because women are far and away the biggest market for books these days and once you get past the mills and boons ****e you get a lot of freedom in what you can write. In videogames you dont get that freedom because its a wholly commercial enterprise where you have to appeal to the console owning 12-16 year olds who consider platform games to be the height of gaming excellence, and anything which strays too far from the mainstream is shunned and ignored by the market.

Its going to be like Enter the Matrix, but even worse given the ideals behind Fight Club, a **** game piggy backing on a great filim/book , mocking everything the story was about.
    (I haven't read the book at all).

Should do - Its excellent and the ending makes a bit more sense, less happy ever after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Originally posted by Sand
    ...In videogames you dont get that freedom because its a wholly commercial enterprise where you have to appeal to the console owning 12-16 year olds who consider platform games to be the height of gaming excellence, and anything which strays too far from the mainstream is shunned and ignored by the market.
    That's not totally true - look at Vice City; it's hardly mainstream in it's direction (nor it's "target" audience), and it's distinctive creative design resulted in it being nominated for a major international design award (can't recall which, but it was the first video-game to do so).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Vice city is the fourth in a series of games (not including gta london) and is now part of the crime genre the original created, so it is mainstream.
    It is so aimed at 15/16 year olds, if not younger. The 18 cert just makes them want it more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

The arena fights and operations mayhem and mischief werent the reason behind fight club, they were the means to the end.

I know. It's dumb doing a fight club game but if I was given a million dollars and told to design one, I'd take that approach instead of just having a Mortal Kombat-style fighting game. I guess if you were 100% serious about it, you'd just put info on bomb making on the CD and tell people to go off and overthrow society instead of playing computer games but that might not be in the software developer's best interests.

that he got away with because women are far and away the biggest market for books these days and once you get past the mills and boons ****e you get a lot of freedom in what you can write. In videogames you dont get that freedom because its a wholly commercial enterprise where you have to appeal to the console owning 12-16 year olds who consider platform games to be the height of gaming excellence, and anything which strays too far from the mainstream is shunned and ignored by the market.

Writers have more freedom than games makers - all you need is pen and paper to write whereas it takes a hell of a lot more resources to make your average game. (I don't really see what women have to do with it, in my experience, certain personality types of both sexes get worked up about books being too subversive). Even so, now that people continue to play games even when they're not teenagers anymore, the demand for more original games might grow.

Cos despite the rantings of some moronic games journalists videogames never have been and given commercial demands never will be platforms for art, no more than cereal box designers.

Not mainstream ones but one of the main reasons why i bothered to learn how to program was the hope i could change this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Originally posted by Seifer
    Vice city is the fourth in a series of games (not including gta london) and is now part of the crime genre the original created, so it is mainstream.
    It is so aimed at 15/16 year olds, if not younger. The 18 cert just makes them want it more.
    Just because it's had several versions made doesn't mean it's "mainstream". Mario/Lara Croft are mainstream video games; there's been more than enough controversy over the GTA games to push it away from the "accepted" - and Rockstar themselves with the Haitian thing said that it was in no way aimed at underage bracket. It's an 80s pisstake, and aimed at those who'd "get it"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Just cause there's controversy doesn't mean its not mainstream. There are loads of crime games around now: state of emergency, true crime...etc.
    Its not accepted by the "whiny mothers against violent games association" but to gamers its accepted as a quality game.
    Rockstar have to say its not aimed at 15/16 year olds.
    The theme of the game works like shrek as regards humour, yes kids will get all the obvious stuff but adults get a lot more enjoyment from the film. You don't need to know anything about the 80's to get enjoyment from the game.
    It just shows that rockstar did a good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I liked pit fighter.

GO-GO-GO-GO-GO-GO-YAAAAAAAHHHH
    m06t.jpg

Anyone remember the big camp mask-wearing boss that looked like the gimp? - hillarious.
    And what's with those pills you used to get, what was in 'em?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by regeneration
    It's an 80s pisstake, and aimed at those who'd "get it"
    :D
    you should check out gtaforums.com.
    nearly every member is under 18 years old.
    "omg the 80's music is teh suxor why cudnt dey hav 50 cent in d soundtrk"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Faust

From what i can see from the screenshots...
    fight club game=teh ghey

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Hey, actually this looks great!

Oh sorry... did I say 'great'? I mean '****e'

my sentiments exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

There was a Ghost in the Shell game for the PSX...and i quite liked it (no 2 player tho :()

american beauty game - lesuire suit larry?....<shudder> god I'm old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

Yeh there was a ghost in the shell game made already and it was rather good if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

ffs, of all the crazy films to make a game out of....

Roflmao,screens looks fookin horrible.They should rename it to ''men's semi-naked fight club''

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

the character played by norton was never named. His name doesn't appear anywhere in the film, so how are they gonna name him in the game.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

*shudder*
    yup... nothing is safe.... looks like an excellent movie and book has just been shat out by the gaming industry...looks like a bad version of tekken 1 mixed with Mortal Kombat DA..... yugh...

Flogen

Advertisement