Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unwanted software go get rid of

• 20-12-2003 1:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Hi i have this unwanted piece of software on the computer i want to get rid of:

gamespot DLX secure delivery which sits in my system tray.

its not in the add/remove programs and it doesn't show up on add/remove plus so how do i get rid of it. oh and i've deleted everything to do with in in the program file

cheers

data

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

start->run->msconfig->startup-> remove the file you want from starting (you'll have to get msconfig for w2k if you're running that, if you're running xp or 98 it will work.
    gl,
    Rob

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you could try the for sale forum (buyer collects :D )

or look at autoruns on www.sysinternals.(com or org)

Lists most startup reg settings and folders etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

What BoB_BoT suggest will not work if you run Win2k and have not installed msconfig.exe on it (just grab it from a Win98 or WinXP drive). So go to the reg and edit out the key corresponding to this program, Local_machine -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> current version -> Run. All the startup programs should be listed in there just delete the corresponding key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

hi folks thanks for the replies. i'm running xp pro. the msconfig and other things mentioned do they actually remove the software from my pc or just remove it at startup?

as the software itself has an option to remove from startup?

cheers

data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

well, find out where the program is starting from (i.e. the directory it is in). That should be listed in the start-up command. (either in the registry or msconfig). When you find what its called (or the directory the file is in) just search for it and delete it. And also remove the thing that starts it up automatically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

msconfig will only stop it from starting up with your computer and will not uninstall the program

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ditto for autoruns
    don't forget to run all the usual spyware killers as per stickies in windows forum.

Advertisement