Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can't download with DC++

• 20-12-2003 3:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

i connect to the hubs! i see all the users, but when i double click them, nothing appears, when i search, no results show up!

i even tried with "allow everything" firewall rules

doesn't work!

ever had such problem? how to solve it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

how much are you sharing? certin hubs will only let you connect if you share a minimum amount ie. 20gb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

no no i can connect to the hub, but when i am in people can download from me but i can't download from them i can't use search either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

use Passive mode. File->Settings Passive Mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Nice one Mutant Fruit, I was having the exact same problem as CyberGhost.

Thers just one problem with that method, 2 people in passive mode can;t connect to each other. Passive can;t connect to passive.

Theres a more complicated solution, that you could try if you really have to be in active mode.

1) You have to make sure all ports required by DC++ are opened in your router (if you have one). There are listed in the documentation, or on the DC++ site.

2) Enter your external IP into the ip box in File->Settings->General. Leave the port field blank (i think). If you are one of the unfortunates with a dynamic ip (also known as hopping ip) you should sign up withdyndns and get yourself an account to give you a static ip thingy such as terminator.dyndns.org. I have never done this, but i know people who have, it sounds easy enough. Just read the documentation and FAQ's. Then when you have your new "ip" just enter that into the DC++ ip box. e.g. terminator.dyndns.org goes in the box instead of the usual 123.123.42.645 number.

If you have any problems, ask me and i'll try and get em sorted, or check DC++ forums.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot Mutant_Fruit!

btw what is all this active/passive mode? what are those things for?

Active mode is for people directly connected to the internet, and who don;t use a hardware firewall. (or for people who configure their firewall to open all the ports dc++ uses in active mode). It allows other people to iniate connections TO your computer. I.e. person x sees you have a certain game update, and sends a request to YOU to send it to them. If you have a hardware firewall or are in a lan, this approach will NOT work usually.

Passive mode is quite different. In this case, if someone wants to download a game update off YOU, they send a command to the hub, which forwards it to you, and then YOU initate the connectionf FROM your computer to their computer. I.e. instead of them getting it off you, you send it them (if you know what i mean...)

The reason for this is that if you are in a lan or behind a router, you often can;t accept/get incoming connections, so if instead of a person making an incoming conenction to you, you make an outgoing connection to them, it works!

now i get it!

Thanks for the explanation mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

hmm, not the place to ask, but cant some1 tell me what dc++ is, or point the way to where i can find out

got my dsl connection, and sounds like i might want to use this

Its another filesharing program. There are several versions of it out.

dc++ BCDC++ czdc++ and
    Reverse Connect

The last one there has some basic, but working multisourcing.

Just read the docs on any of those sites for info on what exactly it is. But basically, another P2P app, but practically no fakes etc.

• Advertisement

ok, cool, is there an irish hub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Thanks for explaining that, Mutant_Fruit!

Is passive mode the same as "LowID" mode in eMule? I've always wondered what LowID really meant.

i dunno what low-id mode is exactly, but from what others have said, it sounds similar.

afaik, theres no irish hub. but you could start one :P

ok, noirish hub, any recommenddations? i can never seem to find anyone i can dl off

have you tried passive mode?

For those of you wanting to test out there settings etc, to see if it's configured right, i'm going to set up a temporary hub, address will be posted soon. Gimme 5 mins.

Ok, i have so far just found 1 hub where i can dl stuff off anyone,

tried many more and was told not enought slots when trying to dl off some1, i understand this means the have set that only a few pple can dl off them,

so i was just wondering could anyone recommend a specific hubs, public

cheers

Firstly, how much have you got shared? Stuff that isn;t your windows directory etc.

check out here for some good hubs: http://www.backyard.udgnet.com

EDIT: HERE IS THE IP FOR THE TEST SERVER dcplusplusalpha.no-ip.org port 411

so you'd put this in for the ip... dcplusplusalpha.no-ip.org:411

I'll be there for the next hour maybe, so if ya need help go there. But i'll leave it runnig for a day or so so ya can leave a message there, and stay connetced to chat/problem solve.

cheers, i have bout 4gigs of various things files,

i am currently in the middle of dl'ing a large movie file, for the next 2 hrs.

can i connect to 2 different hubs at the same time? i am having a look now to see if i can.

cheers again

Click on the Favourite Hubs buttion ( a big star i think) and just add in my hub's adress, and choose a nickname. When thats done, just rightlick in it and press connect. Then you'll connect.

You can connect to as many hubs as you want at once.

cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement